8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Im new here

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Im new here

hello to all the members im from Canada a newbie here to this forum. i have owned a 2008 civic for about a year now i bought it used". and think its a great car so im hoping to learn as much about it with the help from this forum it curently has just over 200,000 km"s and runs excellent so im trying to keep it for a long time. im hoping to get sugestions from all the 8th gen expertes owners on here on whats the best oil-filter? to use? coolant?- filtrs fluids intervals
Old 11-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Im new here

Welcome to the forum!

Opinions will vary. OE and OEM brands are usually best practice for a lot of stuff.
Coolant: Honda type 2

Schedules, start with your owners manual for explanation of the maintenance minder codes and time based items, etc.
Then do whatever you want LOL

Search the forum
Old 11-04-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the Forum Rogerscivic.
I to own a 2008 Civic its a sedan and Yes they are great Cars.
1st thing to ask You is has the Air Bag Inflator Recal been done on it Yet.?
Old 11-04-2017
Registered!!

hey thanks for the reply guys . I ran my vin in ezones post below Honda Canada recal nice.! and found out that my air bag inflator needs to be done guess I be paying Honda a visit is this a quick fix or what am I looking at for say time wise any of you no.
Old 11-04-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

when I brought my 02 in for the airbag recall, my car was out of my hands for about 90 minutes. I still need to bring my ex's 08 in for the airbag recall. I've just been lazy. lol
Old 11-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
hey thanks for the reply guys . I ran my vin in ezones post below Honda Canada recal nice.! and found out that my air bag inflator needs to be done guess I be paying Honda a visit is this a quick fix or what am I looking at for say time wise any of you no.

Ask your dealer when you call to set up your appointment.

Actual working time for a tech could be 15 minutes to an hour. Time to get the car through the write up and in line to get to the shop could take all dang day. Every shop is different.
Old 11-04-2017

rogerscivic You need to call Honda and schedule a time to see them. and still You could be waiting
2-3 months for the Part to come in Yup that's how Long I waited for mine but once it was in
it was a 45minute waite sat

around and watched the in-house t.v. and poured myself some free courtesy coffee.
and checked out the New 2018 Civic type R they had in Red 45 minutes Later service Lady
called me and told me Your Car is done and we Washed it. the wash turned out realy Nice it was even chame wiped...!
Old 11-04-2017
Registered!!

3 months eek! I call Honda I'm not a very mechanicaly inclined person on cars so I'm trying to learn how to do things myself on this car with your help I no I need a oil change every now and again my mechanic I take it to says he uses quaker state 5w20 mineral oil I asked him about synthetic oil he says I don't need it mineral is fine he says if I wanted its more money but its a waist he also uses quaker state oil filter should I be using the more expensive synthetic on this car ? or should I just use Honda oil-filter and all there stuff? guys the replys so far have been awesome!!
Old 11-04-2017

Normal oil is fine IMO. (Honda dealers 5w20 oil here is semi-synthetic)
Oil filter does not need to be from Honda....but I would not get the cheapest generic on the planet either. I want some quality.
Old 11-04-2017
Registered!!

ok quality filter like a mobile1 M1 long life oil filter ezone ?
Old 11-05-2017

I find the Mobile1 filter a great filter just a little over priced for my Liking. when I can get just as good
of a Oil Filter like using a Fram XG on my engine. partsource sometimes has 20% off them.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

hey guys ok so Fram XG is a good quality filter to use on my civic? what about the engine oil I read online about synthetic oil
many say its the best others say its not so its so confusing to say the least aarg.! but I still think synthetic oil is better even though cost is higher? wich are the best to use in my civic royal purple, amsoil, Castrol? I don't mind spending more if it last longer or is better for my engine I whant to keep it for as long as posible
Old 11-05-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've exclusively used Mobil 1 or puralator filters in my civic. AutoZone usually has a deal where a 5 gallon jug of oil and Mobil 1 filter will cost you like 35-40 bucks
Old 11-05-2017

RogersCivic No doubt about it Synthetic Oil is the best at protecting & Prolonging Your engine "the Oils You mention are all great Oil"s"
just find them Pricee or rarely on Sale to use "Castrol Oil" I'm not a big fan of. it just seems all there oils are darker then the rest.
wich makes it harder to decide after a few thousand miles wether to change it or Leave it.?

I like and use (Penzoil Pure Plus) its all i need for the Civic. i change it around 6.000 kms On the Civic & Don't try extending the Oil too Long or You will wear out the timing chain guides ok. I usually buy my Oil at "Wallmart" many times its on sale or on clearance for $27-28 bucks a Jug mind you its regularly priced $50.00 this week at Canadian tire & partsource its on sale Canadian tire has it on sale just this week for $28.00 that's a deal.

http://www.partsource.ca/content/mic.../en/flyer.html

www.canadiantire.ca/en/flyer.html
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I've exclusively used Mobil 1 or puralator filters in my civic. AutoZone usually has a deal where a 5 gallon jug of oil and Mobil 1 filter will cost you like 35-40 bucks
oh.."! hey there I found out what hapens when I hit the quote button. LOL 40 bucks at autozone ahh. I live in Canada we don't have that autozone but I have seen that mobil 1 with a free filter attached on the jug though.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

hey there brags $28.00 bucks is a deal for sure pickn up a jug today l also see the Fram XG at partsource is on sale I'm sure to get one. I can do my own oil changes its just I'm lazy I drive by my mechanics shop just about everyday so that's why I stop in but I'm going to be tackling the next oil changes on my own say brags you mentioned the timing chain guides could wear if I let the oil go to long where is that in the engine I have a Oil maintenance minder should I go by that or mileage .? and should I run premium gas or is regular fine for it? thank-You brags and the rest for the responses this forum is awesome.!
Old 11-05-2017

Right if You extend Your Oil changes You will wear the Timing chain guides (there hard plastic pic below) it will cause slack in your chain and noise not a cheap fix neither as far as using a good Fuel I use Shell regular and for the most part. every 3rd tank or so i will put in there Vpower and as far as going by the Oil maintenance minder I don't I'm sure many will disagree here but listen You could use the cheapest oil in the engine and its still going read at a safe %percentage wise

http://www.testingautos.com/car_care...ming-chain.jpg

www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/339

Last edited by brags; 11-05-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2017

FWIW I personally have not seen the R engine have timing chain problems, even when owned by "low maintenance people". (K engines, on the other hand, are a different story)

Oil consumption problems on the R engine are not super prevalent either IMO, but you still need to check oil level regularly and top it off when needed, no matter what type of oil you choose.

It's designed to use regular grade fuel. High octane is not necessary and in reality it can cause issues such as hard starting.
DO use top tier gas though. http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Old 11-05-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
FWIW [QUOTE
]
I personally have not seen the R engine have timing chain problems,
even when owned by "low maintenance people". (K engines, on the other hand, are a different story)

Oil consumption problems on the R engine are not super prevalent either IMO, but you still need to check oil level regularly and top it off when needed, no matter what type of oil you choose.

It's designed to use regular grade fuel. High octane is not necessary and in reality it can cause issues such as hard starting.
DO use top tier gas though. http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear ezone

that means the R engine must have better composite guides that are more

resistant to wear.? I use the Vpower and have no hard starting issues by the way.
Old 11-05-2017

Originally Posted by brags
that means the R engine must have better composite guides that are more
I haven't researched that...but I don't think it's physically much different from the other engines....other than chain length.
Older L15/L13...etc....the small SOHC engines just don't seem to have chain issues either. IDK.

K engine has a longer chain and an extra camshaft to drive, plus the variable cam timing actuator.....so maybe it's under some more stress.....combine that with some owner neglect (lack of oil changes plus super low oil levels due to rampant unchecked oil consumption) and that results in chain stretch and more likely that a cam jumps time.
I've also seen problems with the chain tensioner in the K engines....
The PCM for some of the K engines will set cam sensor (correlation) codes if there is too much chain stretch. It doesn't have to completely jump time to have problems.