8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

My Radiator is consuming water, every month I have to fill the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cyprosoft is an unknown quantity at this point
My Radiator is consuming water, every month I have to fill the radiator

Hello
I need help on my 2006 Civic Automatic EX, every morning I have to fill water in the radiator. I have to change a new radiator double filter but it didnt stop it.
Mechanic are saying it is top gasket. Any help!

Secondly which type of oil can I use for the engine here in Nigeria?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: My Radiator is consuming water, every month I have to fill the radiator

Sounds like it could be the head gasket but further testing should be done to confirm.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Sounds like it could be the head gasket but further testing should be done to confirm.
We changed the radiator cap and two mechanics have checked and said the radiator is not leaking anywhere.
I want to be sure that it is gasket such that I wont change it and the same issue will still occur as I have don't with radiator.
Old 11-05-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Best (Ezone) method to confirm a headgasket breach is to inject air into each cylinder while cylinder is at absolute TDC. Do when engine cold and radiator cap off. Use 125-150 psi straight shop (compressor) air. If air escapes via headgasket leak bubbles will show in radiator neck.

A Block Test is cheap to do: Block Tester tool is a free rental at parts store and test fluid cost $10. Test fluid is blue and if there's exhaust emmissions in coolant the fluid will turn green or yellow. This can rule out certain breaches but not all types. Worth $10 to try though.

Did the mechanic you brought it to do a coolant system pressure test to inspect for leaks?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-05-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Re: My Radiator is consuming water, every morning I have to fill the radiator

Please can you help me outline what to tell mechanic to do.
The directions are rather technical for me a ray man to know and convey.
I just give him the steps and he do them
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Best (Ezone) method to confirm a headgasket breach is to inject air into each cylinder while cylinder is at absolute TDC. Do when engine cold and radiator cap off. Use 125-150 psi straight shop (compressor) air. If air escapes via headgasket leak bubbles wil show in radiator neck.

A Block Test is cheap to do: Block Tester tool is a free rental at parts store and test fluid cost $10. Test fluid is blue and if there's exhaust emmissions in coolant the fluid will turn green or yellow. This can rule out certain breaches but not all types. Worth $10 to try though.
I just give him the steps and he do them.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: My Radiator is consuming water, every morning I have to fill the radiator

Originally Posted by cyprosoft
I just give him the steps and he do them
Thanks
Block test is as simple as shown below. Can insert the tester tool into the radiaotor neck instead but may have to drain a small amount of coolant first to avoid tester directly contacting coolant.

Leakdown Test (straight shop air) is show in Ezone's video..can't find a link to it..maybe he'll post is. A good mechanic will/should know how to perform a "Leak Down" test. Read up on the subject so you inform yourself.

There's also a leak-down tool that has two gauges on it and it's used to test compression loss through compression rings, valve seals, head gasket. It's a very valuable, comprehensive test.
Old 11-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What engine is in your car? What country is the car from (build location or origin of original sale)?

If your car is 2006 equipped with 1.8 Liter engine it could have a cracked block.

Locations to look on the 1.8 engine

Old 11-05-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What engine is in your car? What country is the car from (build location or origin of original sale)?

If your car is 2006 equipped with 1.8 Liter engine it could have a cracked block.

Locations to look on the 1.8 engine

The car is USA,1.8 engine
Any remedy for cracked block?
What could have led to cracked block?
Old 11-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyprosoft
The car is USA,1.8 engine
Any remedy for cracked block?
Leakage is usually readily apparent, just get a flashlight and look for wet spots in the indicated areas.
If a crack developed on the back of the engine it will be hidden by the starter but the liquid will be seen dripping.
These 3 locations leak externally, you may see drips on the ground.

The only one that you cannot see directly is in the bottom picture, the black steel cover would have to be removed. The EVIDENCE you would find would be coolant mixing with engine oil, oil level rising as radiator level drops, oil looks like chocolate milkshake. This is the only location that would allow mixing coolant with oil.

The fix is replacement of the block or complete engine.

What could have led to cracked block?
Manufacturing flaw.
It's a very well known issue in the US.

Not all of the engines ever develop the problem, it is just a small percentage.
Old 11-05-2017

Please keep in mind this is not the only possible cause of coolant loss.
Your car needs to be inspected carefully to locate the true source of your problems.

If leakage is not readily apparent or there is no wet trail found anywhere, the cooling system can be pressure tested to help persuade leakage to show itself.

If the engine has been severely overheated due to loss of coolant, there could be serious engine damage (warped cylinder head). If it was hot enough to melt the orange oil dipstick, that's hot.
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Leakage is usually readily apparent, just get a flashlight and look for wet spots in the indicated areas.
If a crack developed on the back of the engine it will be hidden by the starter but the liquid will be seen dripping.
These 3 locations leak externally, you may see drips on the ground.

The only one that you cannot see directly is in the bottom picture, the black steel cover would have to be removed. The EVIDENCE you would find would be coolant mixing with engine oil, oil level rising as radiator level drops, oil looks like chocolate milkshake. This is the only location that would allow mixing coolant with oil.

The fix is replacement of the block or complete engine.

Manufacturing flaw.
It's a very well known issue in the US.

Not all of the engines ever develop the problem, it is just a small percentage.
Where can I genuine parts of the car, things like compressor,DVD , key or anything I need to change and likely cost plus shipping to Nigeria?
I can give mechanics here to fix for me
Old 11-06-2017

There are many USA Honda dealerships selling parts online at wholesale prices, with real parts catalogs for you to look up your own parts.....here's a few to check, I'm sure a google search would find more

hondapartsnow
hondapartscheap
bkhondaparts
hondaautomotiveparts
hondapartsconnection

.com

Prices are likely all very similar, and for shipping logistics you would have to inquire with the dealership people

If you want to look for used/recycled/junkyard parts, try
www.car-part.com

HTH