8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Oil separator/catch can

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy-six is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil separator/catch can

I recently installed an oil separator on our 2015 LXCoupe. Did it because I had already installed on our 2003 HX which showed oil very quickly. Even tho illegal where I live they just seem like the right thing to do especially on high performance and low use cars. You can view my installations on You Tube. Anyone here following their use and would you do it to a non performance based Civic?
Old 09-22-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Oil separator/catch can

All civics in the US market since 2006 have had an oil separator installed from the factory. It is part of the design of the 1.8L "R" engines.

I wouldn't bother to install one on any car that isn't going to live at high rpms or high "g" forces for most of its life. And even then there are other upgrades that I would rank as more important. If you have enough ring blow by to require an extra separator in normal conditions then the health of the engine is seriously suspect.
Old 09-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy-six is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oil separator/catch can

Thanks, I could not find any info prior to doing it to the 2015. The 2003 has what appears to be a separator device on the back side of the engine where the PCV valve is screwed in and it is called a separator but the hose had evidence of oil contamination. After just 35 miles there was oil in the catch unit I installed. I haven't put a camera into the intake but I suspected I will see evidence of oil vapor at the least. Our 2015 may get 3000 miles a year with all stop and go driving so my peace of mind means a lot to me. Keeping any oil vapor out of the intake has become my mission since having a direct injected turbocharged vehicle and learning of their problem. If Honda indeed does have this inside the block where the PCVvalve screws in, it also drains back into the crankcase which would all be under the same pressure/vacuum which I would rather have outside than inside.
However I'll monitor the canister anyway and if nothing doesn't show up I'll remove it prior to its first emissions visual inspection. Thanks for the info...