8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Which Car Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TaraCopley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which Car Should I Buy?

I am looking for my first car to commute to college, and have decided that a Honda Civic would be my best option since it is known for basically lasting forever. However, I have 2 options and can't decide which one would be best for me - since I know nothing about Civics other than that they last long, I thought I would ask some experts!! My grandpa saved up $10,000 for my graduation, but I will need some of that money to use for books or other expenses.

Option 1: white 2002 Honda Civic LX sedan, 80,000 miles, $4,000, private owner
Option 2: silver 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid, 70,000 miles, previously owned government car, $7,000, dealer

Option 1 is cheaper, but I am nervous about buying a 15 year old car. Option 2 looks better and will be more convenient (is newer, has an AUX cord, etc.) But is $3,000 more expensive.

Which option do you think is best?
Do Honda Civics really last forever, or would I be better off getting the newer model?
Thank you!
Old 08-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which Car Should I Buy?

Nothing lasts forever.
Some people can turn even the best car into a pile of doodoo very quickly through neglect and abuse.

Most people don't get rid of perfect cars, there's always a reason it's for sale. No, they won't tell you the truth if it's bad.

Both cars have the potential for needing large amounts of money for maintenance and/or repairs in the foreseeable future.

No matter what, you need to have a decent amount of money available for these expenses. By "decent" amount I mean like $3000 or more. Just keep it in the bank and don't touch it unless it's needed. Not trying to dissuade you, just being realistic.

Got maintenance/service records?
Got PRE-purchase inspections?
Got anyone who knows cars very well to go with you to check them out?
Old 08-14-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Which Car Should I Buy?

In my Opinion the 2002 Civic with 80,000miles is the better deal here.
theres no Pictures of the body,interior,or engine to look at...? the....

"3 big Expensive ticket items" that I look at to evaluate a good used Car are:

- engine (how healthy is the engine can it pass an E-test?)
- transmission (how well does it perform?)
- Body (how does the body & paint Look like? any rust? or big dents?

and of course maintenance records as mentioned by ezone are there any with the vehicle...? is it a one owner? has it ever been in an accident? these are Questiones that need to be answered if the car starts runs smooth & Nice & Looks good & Your serious about it. But Your just not quite familiar with the

Vehicle Please... ("make sure You pay a mechanic/technition to thoroughly check this 2002 Civic out") believe me its Money well spent and can save You not only $$ money but headaches as well down the road..

Providing its been thoroughly checked out by your technition and has
been given a clean bill of health START NEGOTIATONES ...Good Luck...!