8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Idle problem after TB cleaning

Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intiko81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Idle problem after TB cleaning

Hi guys,
I am hopeless please help if possible.

I have a 2008 Civic LX AT. I've decided to clean the throttle body hoping it will give some better fuel consumption. I've removed it completly and cleaned it. After reinstalling it, the car is idling strangly. Also when I press the gas pedal, the RPM goes up twice. I mean it goes up and on its way down, it goes up again.

Today I wanted to replace the gasket, bought a new one. Just before removing the intake filter, i've noticed that the tube wasn't replaced well. I was pretty sure that there was a leak here and that would fix the problem. But it didn't change anything. I didn't change the gasket because the original was still good.

The first time I clean the TB, i've received several codes like one a P0498, a P0507. All gone after erasing it with scan tool. The only code that is repeatedly coming back is the P1129.

I also tried to idle procedure relearn and it didn't work.

Please any help ?
Old 06-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Idle problem after TB cleaning

P0498 is EVAP CVS valve circuit low voltage. I doubt it is related to the throttle body.

Troubleshooting for the code P1129 leads one to search for vacuum leaks and maybe replace the MAP sensor.
You say you've hunted for vacuum leaks, but have you checked for leakage using smoke?

But I'm going to guess that since you cleaned the throttle body now the minimum air rate is higher than it used to be, which is the likely cause of the codes that only set after you did the work. The electric throttle system wasn't able to immediately learn and adapt on its own to the changes you just made (cleaning).
This can cause codes P2279 and/or P0507, possibly other codes as well.
I'd suspect the system needs the electric throttle system relearned to work with the new minimum air rate. The only way I know to accomplish this is with the dealers HDS scanner. I do not know if there is a work around for DIYers.....this is one reason I do not advocate DIYers cleaning the throttle body on throttle-by-wire engines.
Old 06-23-2017
Registered!!

Hi, thank you for the reply!

Yes I really shouldn't have done this cleaning. I didn't know they are too sensible.

I saw some video how to check for leakage using smoke but that's not on a 2008 civic. I really wanted to do that just to make sure there is no leak, but I don't know to perfom that check. I've attached a picture to see where I've suspected a leak:
https://goo.gl/photos/g7k4JafuqKZt9ywv9

The P0498 and P0505 came only once. like 2 weeks ago. I'm only having P1129.

If you know how to perfom the leakage test with smoke on a civic 2008, I'll be glad to hear you. I wanna make sure there is no leakage so that maybe the only step to do is the relearn process which should be done at the dealer. This will resolve the problem of idling you think?

I also tried to find the MAP sensor. In google, i could only find the MAF sensor which is not the same. I remember trying to push the butterfly of the TB with a screw, wanted to see what's happening behind it! Could this have to do with my problems?

Thank you once again.

Last edited by intiko81; 06-23-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I saw some video how to check for leakage using smoke but that's not on a 2008 civic.
Understand the principles and how to do it so you can use that info to make it work for your situation.. Once you know how, all you need is to locate a suitable hose or location whatever to make the smoke go into the manifold, that might be the brake booster vac hose connection, PCV hose, or it may be someplace else.

I wanna make sure there is no leakage so that maybe the only step to do is the relearn process which should be done at the dealer. This will resolve the problem of idling you think?
If this were in my bay at work it's probably one of the first things I'd try after first checking for vacuum leak. I can't say for sure that it will solve your issues, but that's something I would be checking.

I also tried to find the MAP sensor. In google
MAP was the small sensor with 3 wires that was on the manifold right next to where the throttle body bolts on, you should have seen it right next to the throttle body when you removed it.

I remember trying to push the butterfly of the TB with a screw, wanted to see what's happening behind it! Could this have to do with my problems?
You can damage it, yes.

Last edited by ezone; 06-23-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2017
Registered!!

haha yeah that was a woodpecker that my cat caught once, wrong pic lol.. This is the right pic..
https://goo.gl/photos/g7k4JafuqKZt9ywv9

I understand the principle but i have to be careful. I don't want to put the smoke at the wrong hose. I will try to get more info on civic 2008 for that and will give a shot in next days.

I'm sure i pushed the butterfly of the TB while the plugs were still connected. Maybe my last option is to try another TB before taking it to the dealer hoping they won't charge me a lot I am desperate

PS: could you delete that pic please
Old 06-23-2017

I suspect that if you somehow misinstalled the pipe into the rubber tube (or even with a torn tube) you would probably end up with a code related to MAF low volume or a fuel trim code, not the P1129 you have.

Just a loose clamp probably won't have a dramatic effect, I know I've seen cars roll in with that clamp left loose and no codes or problems noted.

Maybe my last option is to try another TB
I think you'd still have the same issue as now, the computer would still need to relearn the throttle body.

I've got 2 chunks of info in front of me....

First one is the procedure to clean the TB which says after doing so, you "reset" the PCM, then do the idle relearn procedure.

Second one is info stating if you cleaned the throttle body then you get the codes P2279 or P0507 it says to clear the learned TPS values with the factory scanner, followed by the idle relearn.

Have you tried disconnecting a battery cable for a length of time? Our battery cable (reboot LOL) procedure is to disconnect both cables and short them together (to discharge caps) leave it like that for 20 minutes, then reconnect battery.
Follow that with the standard idle relearn period.
Old 06-24-2017
Registered!!

hmm okay...

Yes .. what I did is to disconnect the battery and even 2 fuses. The first time was the FI Sub fuse.. and later I tried to disconnect another one "FI Main". I think these are related to Fuel Injection and I heard it will reset the PCM. But none of these seem to work. I've disconnected them for about 30min.(didn't think to short the 2 cables).

I wonder if a local dealer could do that procedure. They might have the scanner Honda uses? hmm .. Honda would charge over 115$ just for repogramming anything. That procedure will take max 15min i think...
Old 06-24-2017

(didn't think to short the 2 cables).
Give it a shot, it's free LOL
Old 06-26-2017
Registered!!

I don't know what to do. I am now only getting the code P0507 repeatedly.

If someone had the same problem please feel free to write your solution ! I am hoping there is a way to relearn the idle. The minimum RPM that is going down is around 1000 or 950. I heard there is a screw somewhere to adjust something?

Maybe the P1129 that I was getting is because the map sensor plug wasn't well connected. (Let says that! because im not getting that code anymore).

Any info is welcome here !
Old 06-26-2017

I think you're stuck with going to a dealership or a great indy shop to have this done. This is going to need a dealer level scanner or equivalent, the $100 scanner isn't going to do what needs done.

The links has the info, you may wish to copy the procedure listed in the first or 2nd link and provide it with the car, make a request to have this done, or something of the like....In one of these linked threads a person said they got a break on the dealers fees because he skipped the checkout, specifically request this procedure and handed them the info stating exactly what needs done and how to do it on the HDS scanner

I know the heading says Ridgeline, but the info applies to several models including yours

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/8pf8...leak-code.html

Acura version, same dealio
https://honda.oemdtc.com/164/acura-servicenews-june-2013/3

Stuff found in other forums
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-weird-912019/

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ecu-t...l#post11322388

HTH, good luck, post back with results
Old 06-27-2017
Registered!!

Thank you very much for this reply.

Well, I went to the dealer and explainded my situation and showed the paper with the details. She only told me that indeed they need to reprogram the ECU and they would charge me around 115$. That's a 1 hour work. She told me it could be less or more than 1 hour. I'm pretty sure it takes around 10min. I will try another dealer tomorrow ! lol

In the meantime, I've found a youtube video a guy having the same problem as mine now. Here is a link.

Old 06-28-2017
Registered!!

Quick question for you guys. What are the luquids that goes through the TB? I mean, i remember when i unplugged some hose, I saw a liquid. Is it the coolant liquid or a special one? I just wanna make sure that liquid is not missing or is in low level.

I heard that the coolant liquid might make some bouncy RPM like this video. hmm
Old 06-28-2017

What are the luquids that goes through the TB?
Antifreeze.
Old 06-30-2017
Registered!!

Thank you Sir,

I know I have been asking too much. Today the car prompted for a P1129 code which you told me earlier that is maybe a vacuum leak. If there is no vacuum leak, what could you think about other than that?

The MAP sensor plug not plugged well enough? The MAP sensor is the one that is on the TB itself i guess? because we only unplugged everthing that was on the TB not further (we didn't touch anything from the intake manifold).

Damn it, i'm just another TB's victim
Old 07-03-2017

Originally Posted by intiko81
Thank you Sir,

I know I have been asking too much. Today the car prompted for a P1129 code which you told me earlier that is maybe a vacuum leak. If there is no vacuum leak, what could you think about other than that?
Because that's not the only code it's given you, I'd be addressing the P0507 with the TP relearn then see if that fix makes this P1129 go away.
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

Okay.. a trip to the dealer and a stick in my *** lol

I've even bought an ELM327 because I heard someone were able to adjust the Throttle Position with Torque or some app. Got unlucky again cause the connection between the app and my car couldn't be done. ELM version was 1.5 which is a copy, clone version not the original. I hope they will refund me tomorrow. But Civic 2008+ protocol I think is CAN and not ISO, that's why it didn't work I think.

I Will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by intiko81; 07-03-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

Ah....

To close this thread.. I finally took the car to the dealer. They spent 1h30 for checking the car, found no leaks etc... He told us it might be the Throttle Body itself and will cost 550$ for a new one lol.. We said forget it for a new one. Then he said he could do something else, recalibrate the TPS... yeah thats what we were looking for !!! lol ... They finally charged us for 1h30 of job that cost us 175$.

Lesson learned, never touch an electronic TB !!!!

Search this Thread