Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

2014 Maintenance Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPRepair is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Maintenance Intervals

I have a 2014 civic and it has bothered me that the maintenance intervals are not published in the manual.

You are just supposed to watch the maintenance minder and follow instructions as they pop up.

I understand it is possible that the intervals vary depending on your driving habits and the car is taking this into consideration but it would still be nice to have advance knowledge of what is likely to occur.

I currently have a 102000 MI on my car and here's what has happened to me.

Every 12,000 MI the car asks for an oil change.

Every other time it asks for an oil change it also asks for the filter to be replaced. 24,000 MI seems to me to be a long time for a filter and the dealer puts a filter in at every oil change.

At 90,000 MI the car wanted to transmission fluid to be replaced .

At the last oil change at about a 102000 MI it was also asking for spark plugs.

I have checked The menus and see that Engine Coolant will come due around 110,000 MI. It's on the list when I check but it hasn't popped up to tell me it was almost due.

The dealer was happy to give me a booklet with their recommended intervals which are a whole lot lower than the car actually asks for.

I am curious as to what intervals other people's vehicles hav give given them for oil changes, etc.

My round trip commute every day is 120 MI mainly interstate which is why I have so many numbers on a car that is not that old.
Old 06-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Maintenance Intervals

You can follow the minder system, or you can opt to do your own service schedule as you see fit. Some of our customers still do services on the old "major maintenance every 30k", others follow the minder suggestions, still others don't do anything but discount oil changes, and some of us can certainly tell which cars those are by how they look and drive LOL

Your dealer wants you to follow their enhanced schedule because they make more money off of it.
Hondas minder system tries to space out some of the major stuff so you aren't hit with a $900 bill for basic services every 30k.

As you already know, some of the service intervals are variable.

Hondas maintenance minder system has no way to directly monitor the condition of anything on the car.....the minder system is based solely on a model and cannot account for some extremes. A glorified mileage counter, if you will.

If you do all highway driving, that's easy mileage on the car so oil changes can get stretched out pretty far. You still need to check oil level regularly and top off when necessary, the system cannot check your oil level and has no way to directly monitor it..

My dealer changes the filter with every oil change.
Personal cars I take care of for myself and family, filters can be hit or miss LOL.

Rotate tires on a regular basis, for many people that's every oil change, some others it might be every other oil change.

My dealer still recommends ATF drain and fill every 30,000 miles (or more often). We know what happens when the service is ignored too long.....and sometimes the minder lets this go too long for our comfort. Some of the cars can shake your teeth out when it's ignored too long.
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, ATF is done with every other oil change.

Filters, have you ever checked them yourself to see how clean or dirty they are at 24k? If you can check them, you can replace them whenever you think they are dirty enough.
FWIW the minder will usually have that one come up around 24-30k.
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, I inspect first then make a decision.

The long life precious metal spark plugs get replaced at or near 100k..
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, I check first.

Coolant service at 10 years or 100-120k (it varies a little depending on year and model), then every 5/50 or so thereafter.
Our coolant is good stuff.....water pump problems and internal corrosion problems have literally dropped off the radar.
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, this has been followed.

Brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage.

My dealer suggests wheel alignment once a year, preferably in spring after snow and pothole season is over.
Hit and miss though, the actual need varies with every driver. Some people really clobber curbs and potholes hard, some don't.
I recommend alignment whenever I notice a car drives with the steering wheel off center on a straight road, or with tire replacement, or whenever I notice some other reason that might be corrected with a wheel alignment.
Old 06-10-2017
Registered!!

The tire rotation reminder pops up about every 24,000 MI but the dealer checks the treadwear and tells me there really isn't a need to rotate the tires.

The current set of tires is from Costco and filled with nitrogen, I have had them rotated once on general principles. Costco rotates and balances them and checks the pressure levels and adds more nitrogen as-needed and it's included free when I buy the tires there. The low tire pressure indicator has not come-on since I got the nitrogen filled tires.

Hopefully the people who do my alignments are still in business the owner was in his eighties last time I was there and that has been a few years ago with a different Honda. When they did my alignments the Front tires wore like rear tires.
Old 09-24-2017
Registered!!

Well the car is at about a 113,500 miles now and the maintenance minder has popped up B125.

So it's asking for an oil and filter and the engine coolant which I mentioned in a previous post and also now is saying to change the air filters in the car.

It may have asked for the air filters before but I don't recall it although I have changed the engine air filter and the dealer put a cabin air filter in while doing the oil change and did not charge me for labor for the filter.

I started this post because I wasn't finding the numbers for the
Maintenance Intervals ​​​​​​for the car anywhere online at least not that matched what the car was actually telling me.

If anyone is experiencing different numbers provided by their car then I would be curious as to what they were.
Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

I had hoped to be able to post many more maintenance minder intervals on the forums unfortunately I got into an accident last week and the car was totaled.

Hopefully people who find and read this post will add their own numbers as they get to the higher mileages that I did make it to.

I plan to buy a new civic within the next few days and of course will post the numbers for that in the appropriate forum since I kind of stubborn that way.
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

jrcso is an unknown quantity at this point

That's strange. Oil filter should always be replaced regardless if they can hold longer or not. For newer Hondas, typically 2012 and up, should show the maintenance codes on the dash when due for service. Ex. A1 / B1, A12 / B12, etc. A and B always meaning oil change but according to Honda's manual, A is oil change only and B is oil change and oil filter plus inspection. 1-7 consists of basic maintenance with 1 being tire rotation, 2 being engine air and cabin filter, 3 transmission flush, 4 100k service, 5 coolant flush, 6 differential fluid if vehicle is equipped, and 7 for brake fluid exchange. Major services are usually done around 30k, 60k, 90k, and of course, 100k. 30k services consists of transmission flush and brake flushes besides the basic oil change and 100k services are the BIG ones. Valve adjustment, belts, water pump / oil pump, and spark plugs.
Old 03-12-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

OP if tires get cupped or scalloped..... they will never recover from it.

90k... is way too long for ATF fluid service.

And yes, oil filter at every oil change interval.
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

jrcso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
OP if tires get cupped or scalloped..... they will never recover from it.

90k... is way too long for ATF fluid service.

And yes, oil filter at every oil change interval.
Yeah, waiting til 90k for atf wouldn't be good at all. I know some civics actually take the new HCF-2 fluid or cvt trans fluid now too
Old 03-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrcso
Yeah, waiting til 90k for atf wouldn't be good at all. I know some civics actually take the new HCF-2 fluid or cvt trans fluid now too
CVT trans requiring HCF-2 fluid --- installed in North American non-hybrid Civics beginning in 2014
Old 07-10-2019
Registered!!

donman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HPRepair
I had hoped to be able to post many more maintenance minder intervals on the forums unfortunately I got into an accident last week and the car was totaled.

Hopefully people who find and read this post will add their own numbers as they get to the higher mileages that I did make it to.

I plan to buy a new civic within the next few days and of course will post the numbers for that in the appropriate forum since I kind of stubborn that way.
Did you end up buying another Civic?
Old 07-11-2019
Registered!!

Yes, a 2017 EX Sedan.

My oil change interval is still 12,000 miles, but it told me to get the transmission fluid changed at 55,000 miles.
Old 10-22-2019
Registered!!

TONNAGE is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said! I have a 2014 civic 79000km (CVT) since new and only took it to the dealership a handfull of times, when it was something I couldn’t handle myself or find a YouTube video on. Now the problem with Honda/Acura service advisors is they don’t know much of the stuff going on and when you mention it they look at you like you have 2 heads and are insane, for example I asked if the CVT service also included replacing of the inline filter and o-ring set and he said they don’t replace that...? He couldn’t even give me a quote because it wasn’t in the system. Same thing at the Acura dealership about changing the inline filter on my MDX 6-speed auto, to extend tranny life and again no quote available. After some digging around turns out Honda states that the inline filter on the MDX tranny is a non serviceable part and only gets replaced when the tranny gets overhauled! What would happen if you used that same logic for your engine oil filter, or cabin air filter, or engine air filter....? Look up some vids on youtube and it’s an easy 1 hour job on both my cars, just remove air box/battery/battery tray and viola....access to a “non serviceable part” seems odd that a company with previous transmission issues wouldn’t service these filters to extend your transmissions life. Also I used Redline D6 in the ‘11 MDX and Amsoil CVT fluid in my ‘14 civic with excellent results! The civic felt it was slipping then changed the filter, o-rings and dropped in Amsoil and it pulls better than it did from new and the MPG improved on both vehicles after using top end fluids, the MDX shifts like a dream and the civic is silky smooth! As a side note I also used ATE DOT 4 brake fluid in both cars and the civic brakes like a go cart and the MDX feels less spongy, more reassuring.

Originally Posted by ezone
You can follow the minder system, or you can opt to do your own service schedule as you see fit. Some of our customers still do services on the old "major maintenance every 30k", others follow the minder suggestions, still others don't do anything but discount oil changes, and some of us can certainly tell which cars those are by how they look and drive LOL

Your dealer wants you to follow their enhanced schedule because they make more money off of it.
Hondas minder system tries to space out some of the major stuff so you aren't hit with a $900 bill for basic services every 30k.

As you already know, some of the service intervals are variable.

Hondas maintenance minder system has no way to directly monitor the condition of anything on the car.....the minder system is based solely on a model and cannot account for some extremes. A glorified mileage counter, if you will.

If you do all highway driving, that's easy mileage on the car so oil changes can get stretched out pretty far. You still need to check oil level regularly and top off when necessary, the system cannot check your oil level and has no way to directly monitor it..

My dealer changes the filter with every oil change.
Personal cars I take care of for myself and family, filters can be hit or miss LOL.

Rotate tires on a regular basis, for many people that's every oil change, some others it might be every other oil change.

My dealer still recommends ATF drain and fill every 30,000 miles (or more often). We know what happens when the service is ignored too long.....and sometimes the minder lets this go too long for our comfort. Some of the cars can shake your teeth out when it's ignored too long.
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, ATF is done with every other oil change.

Filters, have you ever checked them yourself to see how clean or dirty they are at 24k? If you can check them, you can replace them whenever you think they are dirty enough.
FWIW the minder will usually have that one come up around 24-30k.
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, I inspect first then make a decision.

The long life precious metal spark plugs get replaced at or near 100k..
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, I check first.

Coolant service at 10 years or 100-120k (it varies a little depending on year and model), then every 5/50 or so thereafter.
Our coolant is good stuff.....water pump problems and internal corrosion problems have literally dropped off the radar.
Personal Hondas I take care of for myself and family, this has been followed.

Brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage.

My dealer suggests wheel alignment once a year, preferably in spring after snow and pothole season is over.
Hit and miss though, the actual need varies with every driver. Some people really clobber curbs and potholes hard, some don't.
I recommend alignment whenever I notice a car drives with the steering wheel off center on a straight road, or with tire replacement, or whenever I notice some other reason that might be corrected with a wheel alignment.

Last edited by TONNAGE; 10-22-2019 at 01:39 PM.