8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Shift Knob Gap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017
Here for the food

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teezyyoxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Shift **** Gap?

Super super newbie question...

I have an 08 EX Coupe 5spd manual, and I changed the boot and ****. These two came separately and not in a package together.
Installation wasn't an issue, but because the silver piece... "dust cover/cap" I guess it's called(?) is meant to lock into the stock shift ****, it kinda just hangs out and leaves a gap between the bottom of the shift **** and the top of the cap itself.
I'm wondering if there's an adapter of some sort that exists that I can use to install and, at best, close that gap a little better. I would just get an Si boot+**** but I'm already half-way there with what I've got (and I don't completely want to be tagged as part of the "wannabe Si" crew LOL

Any suggestions? I've never done this before so I don't really know the proper terminology or what I'm exactly looking for.
Old 05-31-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shift **** Gap?

I'm rocking something like this in my 2002. It threads onto the shifter, below the ****. The boot attaches to the groove via zip tie, and the **** mates up with the top of the adapter. $12 shipped on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-...-/251067443151

edit: best pic I could find on one of my various photo hosting accounts.
Old 05-31-2017
Here for the food

Yep. That's exactly what I think I need LOL. Looks great! I could've sworn I attached a photo of mine. The only picture I have is a screengrab from a video when I was teaching my girlfriend how to drive haha

I'm gonna order that piece now though, huge thanks for the tip!Click image for larger version

Name:	photo502.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	89880

I'll post a more coherent picture once everything looks decent lol
Old 05-31-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. Thats what we're here for

Edit: here's a better pic
Name:  10jsacS.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  649.2 KB

I painted mine a darker and ground it down a bit to fit inside my shift ****. Mine came cleanly machined unlike the finish in my pic

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-31-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2017
Here for the food

Looks great, I used a sharpie to black out the stock dust cover on mine for now lmao
Old 06-06-2017
Here for the food

Small update:

Somehow, the package got diverted to Reno, NV. So it's two days late now lol.
Old 06-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Lol wtf, Reno? I once had a package that went from SoCal to delaware, then back to me in Vegas. I was a bit peeved to say the least.
Old 06-28-2017
Here for the food

Alright, a whole ~3 weeks later, finally got the patience to give this thing a shot, and I must say... WORTH IT!! It only took me a whole half hour of trial and error and 3 zip ties lol

Thanks you guys for the help haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo471.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	89938  
Old 06-28-2017
Administrator
Administrator

nice and clean man. Glad it worked out for you
Old 07-03-2017
Here for the food

thanks! i've gotta readjust it tho, shift **** gets tight past where everything is lined up properly, and the boot follows... almost as if the adapter isn't fully tight. and just yesterday the boot fell off the adapter completely lol. i think i'll try thinner zip ties, because i had some "industrial" ones lying around that were very clearly much more thick than the one installed at the factory; it wouldn't bite into the channel around the adapter too well
Old 07-03-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I think I initially used 2 small ones, but those broke in this vegas heat. If I remember correctly, how I have it now, I used some solid wire and twisted it tight, much like how safety wire is used. Lower profile, stronger hold, stronger material.

edit: it just occurred to me that safety wire isn't widely used. Here's an example of what it is. Typically some sort of steel wire, twisted with special pliers to hold the bolts or what have you. We used it a lot in the Navy in the power plants
Old 07-03-2017
Here for the food

Ahh really. Smart! I think I have some 18awg wire lying around somewhere...
Old 07-03-2017
Administrator
Administrator

make sure its solid tho. If it's standard stranded wire, I don't think it'll work well. Alternatively, if you know anyone that vapes and builds their own coils, that wire will works. lol

I have some 26ga stainless steel wire that I'm not a fan of vaping on. haha
Old 08-18-2017
Here for the food

I ended up redoing it...with thinner zip ties. Yeah the boot is crooked, but...it's solid. Lol. Attachment 111603
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo834.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	111604