8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Looking into buying a Honda Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypebeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking into buying a Honda Civic Si

Hey everyone. Real fast backstory on me. I owned a 1991 Mustang 5.0 HO manual convertible for around 6 years. It was my pride and joy and invested all my time and money on it to make it look, run and sound as it should. I then had to sell it to buy a 05 BMW 745Li which is what I still own. Now years later I am married and have a family(one son 4 years old) It is time I part ways with the BMW being that it is just starting to break down of age and it is expensive to repair and maintain and I don't need a luxury car like that anymore (bought it because of my job at the time).
Now to the point. My wife has given me the green light on any car I would like. I have been looking at many cars but she told me why not a Honda Civic. I never looked into Hondas much since I felt it was a young mans car or a great first car but the more I look into them the more I get intrigued. I don't know anyone that one's one other than my wife that owns a Honda Pilot. So with that I have a few questions that hopefully can get answered. How reliable are they and how worried should I be of getting one since some have pretty high miles on them and not sure how the power terrain holds.(oil leaks, trans problems, engines problems etc). Do they seem to break down a lot? I know it will be tons cheaper to fix than my BMW but I would rather not have to invest so much just to keep it running. What years are the best years to get with less problems, I saw a few 2009 and 2012 Civics. And last but most important question to me. Will a 4 year old in car seat fit in the rear seat of a coupe? I have been looking into the sedan as well but just a question. Like I said my wife has a 08 Honda Pilot which we use for everything since it is so big and has lots of room. The Civic would be just for driving in the city or weekends if anything and so will not be main transportation. Hope to hear back!! Any suggestions or information will help.
Old 05-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Looking into buying a Honda Civic Si

If you're looking in the used "compact" range of cars it's generally been either Honda Civic or Mazda 3 that gets best in class for the past 10 years.

I've owned 5th ('92-95), 6th gen ('96-00) Civics. Two '07 Mazda 3's. My mom own's a 7th gen ('01-05) Honda Civic. So, I can't comment on newer models of each brand.
Old 05-25-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Looking into buying a Honda Civic Si

...well they're civics so you're getting a car that will never die, the down side is they are usually slow.

The only major known issue is with the 2006-2011 civics with the R18 engines; in few cases (but a noticeable amount of cases, which lead to a recall) the block was known to fail and leak coolant, which could lead to overheating and failure.

The good news is that is the slow engine =D, the civic SI came with the k20/k24 engine which is near bullet proof and faster. ...good info to swing the wife =D.