8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Do You Trust The Shop You Take Your Car To...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Do You Trust The Shop You Take Your Car To...?

that's right be careful where You take your car for service/repaire undercover

cameras hiden in these cars tells the story even getting a simple oil/filter change

is NOT Done on these cars and customer gets billed for it. or worse You could

Loose Your engine.

Old 05-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do You Trust The Shop You Take Your Car To...?

^Fear mongering!^

LOL
Old 05-23-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

That's why you do the work yourself =D.
Old 05-23-2017

i hear You mac25 many people still would rather pay for someone to change

there oil/filter rather doing it themselves & getting there hands a little dirty I'm

not one of these i can do a proper Oil change with-out stripping oil drain threads

or forget to fill engine back up with oil or use wrong oil, i have seen many screw-ups

online from these Quick Lube / chain places. almost makes me think the

people they hire there were flipping burgers yesterday and doing 1st time oil

changes today on customers vehicles. Now That"s scary LOL
Old 05-25-2017

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Oh totally I work at a Mobil 1 and have friends at other shops.

There is no, absolutely no, mechanical experience required. The desired experience is actually only for the Upper Techs, and that is in sales.

But that is what a quick lube place is, a store front, they are not there to be your best friend or to give you advice. People think these places are like "car doctors" aimed at helping people, they are not and no one should blame the tech for listing services they sell.

The problem is when honesty is lost to earn a buck, when Techs use fear to sell things to stupid people how chose not to learn about their car.

Mobil 1 is not a franchise so we can change how we sell and what. I work at a family run shop, literally 2/3rds of the staff are family and the Dad and Mom own it. We are probably the lest pushy shop I've ever seen because the owners chose to pay us a high flat rate and not use a bonus and commission system, they also don't yell at use if sales are low. Our shop values high return rate over high single tickets.

...But

places like Mr. Lube (where I've had friend work at; and horrified by the lack of honesty and use of fear sales)

Use a two teared wage system designed to maximize price per ticket, screw the techs if they are honest and grab as much profit for the franchise as possible.

At Mr. Lube there is commission on every item above a basic oil change but to get that pay a tech must maintain an overall high monthly average, or you will get talked to and possibly fired for insufficient service.

By the way the acceptable ticket range for a monthly period is $100-$110 average sales per bill. If you drop to $90 you get talked to and If your bellow that you won't make your commission.

This has lead to techs pushing hard to sell and also pushing hard to talk customers out of getting an oil change if the bill looks like it will be too low.
Old 05-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brags
i have seen many screw-ups

online from these Quick Lube / chain places. almost makes me think the

people they hire there were flipping burgers yesterday and doing 1st time oil

changes today on customers vehicles. Now That"s scary LOL
i worked at a "jizzy lube" for 3 years when i was a teenager....oh god the stories i could tell you, you probably wouldn't believe half of them,
Old 05-26-2017

Originally Posted by mikey1
i worked at a "jizzy lube" for 3 years when i was a teenager....oh god the stories i could tell you, you probably wouldn't believe half of them,

I too have worked in a repair shop in the past and did oil changes. & odd jobs
seen too many unexeceptable mistakes screw ups from others at the chain i worked.
when a car came in we were suppose to check oil level & Fluids and air filter
and if any fluids were low report it to the owner ask if he wanted it topped up
seen a few guys topping up fluids on cars using the wrong coolant, Power steering fluid,

a Proper oil change to me is not ONLY meant to maintain an engine. but to look
under the hood of an engine and underneath and inspect things like fluids leaks
loose or hanging things that could pose a potential problem. thats what an Oil
change really is suppose to be. i had some customers in the shop tell me i don't
like getting my hands dirty on a hot engine yes its a dirty job especially when the
engine is hot and Your loosening the oil filter and have HOT oil running down

Your arm, or how Your arm had to twist in 3 different positions to get at the
"Oil filter to unscrew it." Yes i admit it. it can be a dirty and some times frustrating
task to do... but in the wrong hands the same task as shown on the videos can turn out Catastrophic.
Old 05-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brags
seen a few guys topping up fluids on cars using the wrong coolant, Power steering fluid,

oh hell yeah....that was the most common,

brake fluid in power steering, or the other way around,

coolant in washer fluid, or the other way around,

one time i was working upper bay next to another guy and i kept seeing him going over grabbing bottles of coolant, i said to him "whats going on?"...he says to me "this guys coolant is REALLY LOW i have already put in 3 liters"....i go over and see he is pouring it into the guys washer fluid,

i tried to explain an overflow rad bottle would never hold even close to 3 liters, and got the old "deer in the headlights look"

because of my experience working there i would never trust a "quick lube" type of place.....but then again i have no reason to bring my car to one

Last edited by mikey1; 05-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-28-2017

The bottom line is. either do the maintenance Yourself if your familiar

with Your car. or have Your go to Guy "technician the guy You trust" and Know do

it for You so You don't end up with trouble along the way. I'm not saying all Quick

Lube shops are bad. there are good ones out there". but You need to be careful

where You take your vehicle because from what i use to see... come saturday

morning every one wants an oil change and believe me if there are plenty of

vehicles lined outside the bay some mistakes are sure too follow on someone's

vehicle just my 2 Cents.
Old 05-28-2017

Originally Posted by mikey1
...oh hell yeah....that was the most common,

brake fluid in power steering...

Also many cars take ATF in the power steering system and if you use PS fluid it will cause a horrible screeching sound... and probably pump failure... ound that out the hard way while training, lol. Luckily for us the pump was fine after we redid the ps service with atf.