8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

CarQuest full synthetic 5w30 is it really Valvoline oil...?

Old 03-05-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
CarQuest full synthetic 5w30 is it really Valvoline oil...?

I was at CarQuest Yesterday getting some small items and seen a 5 Liter jug

of CarQuest's in house brand 5w30 Full Synthetic oil after paying for my stuff

i asked the guy behind the counter about there house brand synthetic oil he

said "its Valvoline oil inside Jug" just re-bottled under CarQuest name. he says

its actually Valvoline synpower synthetic oil i been trying to login into there

parts site but having trouble doing so, to look up there oil data sheet to compare

specs. anyone have any info on the Oil post it up.. thanks You can log on there

weblink parts page by using the {name and password} which is joecash11
its actually CarQuests one to log on.

http://www.carquest.ca/CQ-Retail-English.pdf
http://weblink.carquest.com/Weblink_...on=processPage
Old 03-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CarQuest full synthetic 5w30 is it really Valvoline oil...?

It may be made by Warren Unilube now.
Even if it were packaged by Valvoline the additive package probably wasn't as good as their regular labeled products.
What's on the back of the bottle?
What are its ratings? ACEA, ILSAC, etc.? Post pics of the labels?

Goggle kinda led me to this video but I can't ..... because .....this ....... looks like he's about to dump 15w40 diesel rated oil into a little toyota. Aaaaargh.

Old 03-05-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also worthy of noting IMO: Warren makes and distributes a "type A" automatic transmission fluid....and people still purchase it, not having any clue what it's good for other than it says ATF on the label.

Now try to figure out just how long that rating has been obsolete.
Old 03-05-2017

hey there ezone. that's pretty Interesting..? i don't think CarQuest would

infact mess with the oil Formula itself even if it was lets say Valvoline syn power

synthetic oil in the jug. it would make more sense on a packaging difference for

CarQuest to sell under there (house name brand) than any thing else. i don't think

they would go through all the trouble changing the formula if it were in-fact

Valvoline synpower oil for fear of liability reasons. if i find any data comparison

to Valvoline synpower oil ... online i will post it for all.
Old 03-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Could be any brand that got the best offer on the last contract. Probably meets what it says on bottle. Who knows? Years ago I put Dextron genetic from Advance Auto that seemed to work fine in my 69 Firebird. About 10k into it on a trip no less, it started having trouble shifting. Was on the interstate and made it home. Figuring had nothing to loose, drained the transmission oil. It was noticeable thicker then Honda's fluid. That fixed it and it never acted up again. I tend to bite the bullet and stick with OEM transmission and powersteering oil. Engine oil to me needs a major brand lablel. I figure they are staking their reputation on what they sale. Think a store brand is more interested in a bottom line proffit and the maker is only interested also in the bottom line since he has no name in it. Also keep in mind that a part man may trurly have no idea who really makes it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2017

Valvoline, Warren, and any other oil maker offer many different products that meet many different ranges of specs. They might distribute several well known brands PLUS many house brands, offer several different choices in any specific 'weight' you want to look for, and each of those 'weight' choices can meet vastly different specifications which would be indicate by several different ratings (SAE/API/ILSAC/ACEA). A few might be ok for your car, but there are many more that are not.

CQ wouldn't "mess with" the oil themselves, they (corporate) simply shop (take bids from companies) for an oil they can sell at a low price under their house label. Manufacturers can custom blend for their clients. If CQ wants to offer a very low priced oil, guess what.....the oil maker can change stuff to meet the price target and still leave room for some profit. Take a guess at what all could be changed to meet a price standard.

The store owner can tell you whatever he wants you to hear, and it may or may not be accurate, but the proof is (or should be) on the bottle.
(Misleading and deceptive wording on some labels causes the conscientious consumer to mistakenly believe it's all good.)

Hondas oil has been blended and distributed by major players in the industry, but the oil we receive at the dealer is not quite the same as other oil products offered by those major players.
Old 03-05-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Valvoline, Warren, and any other oil maker offer many different products that meet many different ranges of specs. They might distribute several well known brands PLUS many house brands, offer several different choices in any specific 'weight' you want to look for, and each of those 'weight' choices can meet vastly different specifications which would be indicate by several different ratings (SAE/API/ILSAC/ACEA). A few might be ok for your car, but there are many more that are not.

CQ wouldn't "mess with" the oil themselves, they (corporate) simply shop (take bids from companies) for an oil they can sell at a low price under their house label. Manufacturers can custom blend for their clients. If CQ wants to offer a very low priced oil, guess what.....the oil maker can change stuff to meet the price target and still leave room for some profit. Take a guess at what all could be changed to meet a price standard.

The store owner can tell you whatever he wants you to hear, and it may or may not be accurate, but the proof is (or should be) on the bottle.
(Misleading and deceptive wording on some labels causes the conscientious consumer to mistakenly believe it's all good.)

Hondas oil has been blended and distributed by major players in the industry, but the oil we receive at the dealer is not quite the same as other oil products offered by those major players.

Yup...! i get the price point on what Your saying "i ONLY stick to Name brand
Products when changing Oil/Filter myself" i buy & use Pennzoil Ultra for all my Vehicles inc. daughters own.
im still curious on what CarQuest house brand oil has to offer like i said any updated info i gather up will
be Passed along right here. thumbs up

Last edited by brags; 03-05-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: oops pc trouble..!
Old 03-05-2017

Yup...! i get the price point on what Your saying "i ONLY stick to Name brand
Products when changing Oil/Filter myself" i buy & use Pennzoil Ultra for all my Vehicles inc. daughters own.
im still curious on what CarQuest house brand oil has to offer like i said any updated info i gather up
will be Passed along right here.
Old 03-10-2017

I found "Amalie oil company" also makes the CarQuest synthetic oil. and

many other fluids for CarQuest. i notice the oil has good reviews..interesting.?

click on customer reviews below.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...lVehicle=false
Old 03-10-2017

Originally Posted by brags
. i notice the oil has good reviews..interesting.?
The Dexos logo on the label has meaning and carries more weight than user reviews.
click on customer reviews below.
Read the customer Q&A instead...some people actually asked meaningful questions there and got answers
Old 03-11-2017

found a MSDS sheet from Amalie Oil Co. Same shaped silver bottle as Amalie's Elixir oil. This is what CQ states about their oil, pretty impressive list. CARQUEST® Full Synthetic GF-5/SN Motor Oils meet or exceed the requirements of GM 6094M (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) and Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20) and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30),

Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30). Meets Toyota Specifications, and Honda Service Fill
Specifications (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30). CARQUEST Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is a
licensed GM dexos1™ product. GM dexos1™ supersedes GM4718M, and

GM6094M. It also exceeds the requirements
of Acura HTO-06 for turbo-charged applications, and ACEA A5-02. CARQUEST Full Synthetic
SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil meets or exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B3-08, ACEA A3/B4-08,
BMW LL-01, Mercedes-Benz MB p229.3, p229.5, Porsche A40,

Renault 0710, 0700, Opel GM-LL-B-025, Volkswagen VW 501 01,
VW 502 00, VW 503 01, and VW 505 00.
Meets API Service Category SN/CF.
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1, business one o one.
Old 03-12-2017

Originally Posted by brags
found a MSDS sheet from Amalie Oil Co. Same shaped silver bottle as Amalie's Elixir oil. This is what CQ states about their oil, pretty impressive list. CARQUEST® Full Synthetic GF-5/SN Motor Oils meet or exceed the requirements of GM 6094M (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) and Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20) and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30),

Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30). Meets Toyota Specifications, and Honda Service Fill
Specifications (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30). CARQUEST Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is a
licensed GM dexos1™ product. GM dexos1™ supersedes GM4718M, and

GM6094M. It also exceeds the requirements
of Acura HTO-06 for turbo-charged applications, and ACEA A5-02. CARQUEST Full Synthetic
SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil meets or exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B3-08, ACEA A3/B4-08,
BMW LL-01, Mercedes-Benz MB p229.3, p229.5, Porsche A40,

Renault 0710, 0700, Opel GM-LL-B-025, Volkswagen VW 501 01,
VW 502 00, VW 503 01, and VW 505 00.
Meets API Service Category SN/CF.

*cough*
At the consumer level, oil sales can be profit oriented and heavily driven by marketing. Marketing claims can become more important than actual truth.

Misleading wording may not be absolutely and technically false, but it intentionally leads the consumer to believe things that are not actually true.

Misleading wording may be along the lines of "Meets [car brand] manufacturers specifications", instead of "Meets all specifications of [car brand] manufacturer".

"Meets or exceeds the requirements of..." is not the same as "Meets or exceeds ALL requirements of...".

Can you see the difference?

They can print that they meet individual parts of a spec by name and/or number that they DO meet, without meeting all parts of that particular specification.

Something else they can do is print that a product meets a certain manufacturers spec, but it really is an older spec that is now obsolete. (some in your post are obsolete or have been superseded)

Some oil manufacturers are known to be guilty of this on a regular basis.

Search this Thread