8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 Civic LX- Dashboard lights up but doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmorleybdps is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up 2006 Civic LX- Dashboard lights up but doesn't work

Hi everybody. Thought I reach out and see if anyone has experienced this problem before or has any ideas.

This morning my dashboard was working just fine and life was great. Then I had the interior detailed (during which they filled the car with steam while steam-cleaning the seats) and now my dash doesn't work. The attached image shows what the dash looks like when I turn the car on. All those lights stay on and none of the gauges function in any way. Well, the empty fuel light blinks, but the tank is full so I wouldn't really call that functioning.

Also non-functioning:
  • The headlight alarm that goes off if you open the door with your lights on. (definitely going to screw me at some point)
  • The seatbelt alarm (kinda nice actually)

I have checked all the fuses under the hood and inside the car. They're all good.

I have removed the lead from the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then re-attached. No help.

I have looked for any plugs that they may have knocked loose while cleaning, but everything in the driver footwell that is accessible (or knock-into-able) is plugged in.

Any ideas or cheat codes to reset the whole damn thing?

Thanks!

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6498.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	89330  

Last edited by jmorleybdps; 12-23-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Civic LX- Dashboard lights up but doesn't work

I'd guess one of the computer communication networks has been 'taken down' for some reason................it would take a lot more to determine if that guess is correct though.

Does it still run and drive? Did it 'die on their watch'?
Get the detail shop to pony up to have the dealership fix it? (assuming it's their fault until proven otherwise)
Old 12-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmorleybdps is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 2006 Civic LX- Dashboard lights up but doesn't work

FIXED!

Thanks for the reply ezone. The problem ended up fixing itself. I'll share how it went down in case anyone else ends up with a similar problem.

The dash was down for about 24 hours. During that time I started the car probably7-8 times and drove it on 3 separate occasions with heat blasting into the footwell for a grand total of about an hour.

This morning when I started it up the dash was still dead. Then about 10 minutes into the drive, as my wife and I were discussing how much it was going to suck to have to take it to the dealer and spend a bunch of money on this, the dash sprung to life! A Christmas miracle!

Once that happened, the only weird thing was that the gear indicator light was flashing, but that went away as soon as I turned the car off and back on. It was probably a little confused when it woke up and I was already in gear and going 35MPH.

Other than that, the check engine light was on too, probably for the same reason. I removed the negative lead from the battery to clear that and now my dash is functioning perfectly!

Perhaps there was some deep-seated moisture in the system from the steam cleaning that just needed time to dry up. Whatever the case, I'm just glad it cleared up so we can drive to the in-law's for Christmas.