8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

How check cvt fluid level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rponfick is an unknown quantity at this point
How check cvt fluid level?

I have a 2014 Civic and I just noticed in the owner's manual that the cvt fluid level should be check monthly (and by the dealer). I am a college graduate and figured I was smart enough to do this. Found the rubber plug in the tranny with a small wire handle to pull it out. Unfortunately the handle wire extended about 1/4 inch into the reservoir. No dipstick or anything that you could determine proper fluid level.

I am confused. Do they really expect you to go to the dealer monthly, and probably be charged for a maintenance visit the check the fluid level?

What am I missing?

Ralph
Old 02-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How check cvt fluid level?

Originally Posted by rponfick
I have a 2014 Civic and just noticed in the owners manual to have the cvt fluid checked monthly by the dealer. This has to be a mistake. I looked for a dipstick on the tranny and found the rubber plug. There is no rod into the reservoir to check anything.

Is this some type of ripoff, or what don't I understand.

Ralph
At least you looked in the owners manual. Good job!

It is no mistake, but once a month is probably overkill IMO unless you are having issues....

Any shop should charge fees for their time spent checking it....and unless you are at a dealership there's little chance of anyone having the correct fluid on hand if it happens to be needed.

The reasons for a dealer checking it are several....

the fluid level is checked using a plug on the side of the transmission, and is not intended to be checked by the user/owner.

Correct fluid level is critical for proper operation and long life. Fluid level changes with temperature, so the fluid should be checked at the temperature specified in the service manual. If you check it at a wrong temp, the fluid level could easily be incorrect.
There is also a shift sequence specified before checking fluid level.

It takes a specialized fluid (HCF-2), you can cause serious problems if you try to add the previous Honda CVT fluid (still in use on some other models) or anything from your garage or parts store. The HCF-2 fluid has only been in use since the 2013 Accord new CVT introduction.
(I've not seen any claimed compatible fluid in my local parts store the last time I was in there browsing, and so-called "universal" fluid is anything but.)

Even though your manual says to use a dealership, beware there are probably many people in any given dealer shop that don't know really how to check it correctly (usually the low paid oil changers and beginners)....because it is not stupid simple.
Most just run with the assumption that if there is no fluid leakage then the fluid is probably still full....which is usually a pretty realistic assumption IMO

At our shop we still suggest trans and CVT fluid service every 30,000 miles.

HTH
Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

HTH, you are no giving me that comfort feeling even by visiting my dealer to have my fluids checked (oil changers no knowing what they are doing).

If I ever have a transmission issue, I can see where Honda would be able to say I have not followed the proper maintenance schedule (checking monthly by the dealer).

Overkill, or not, they are putting the requirement in the owner's manual, and they are not giving you a dipstick to check it. I have always thought very highly of Honda, but something here doesn't seem right.
Old 02-27-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sugar coating the reply. "Entry level" is always a reality in any shop.

Many car manufacturers have eliminated easy checking of some fluids, and it's been headed this direction for at least two decades.
Old 02-27-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If you think that's bad new BWM's don't even have oil check sticks, lol.
They have computers to indicate level, but I've heard some bad stories about errors by faulty computers.
Old 02-28-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Inspect engine/transmission bay with a good flashlight & check under areas you park often for leaks.
Old 02-28-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for the informative comments. I am very **** already and still drain my own oil at 1/2 the time shown on the engine computer, and check for leaks diligently.

But, nobody has commented on my dark question of what if my tranny explodes tomorrow (still under factory warranty), and Honda refuses to cover it because I have not complied with the maintenance procedures in the Owner's Manual.

Just paranoid.

Ralph
Old 02-28-2016

Originally Posted by rponfick
But, nobody has commented on my dark question of what if my tranny explodes tomorrow (still under factory warranty), and Honda refuses to cover it because I have not complied with the maintenance procedures in the Owner's Manual.

Just paranoid.

Ralph
IMO if the same dealer does your regular services, you should be in the clear, as they should bring to your attention any potential issues they see during the regular multipoint inspections.

IMO the dealer should need to prove you did not follow the manual before trying to deny coverage....
But I'm not one of those decision makers. I just fix the cars, that's hard enough sometimes.
Old 03-27-2016
Registered!!

mark1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is for a fluid change but it should help with fluid check as well.

Procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle on a lift, and make sure it is securely supported.
2. Remove the engine undercover.
3. Start the engine, and warm it up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on twice).
4. Turn the engine off.
5. Remove the drain plug and the sealing washer, and drain the transmission fluid for at least 5 minutes.
NOTE: Remove metal particles from the magnetic surface of the drain plug. Be careful not to burn yourself by the hot part.
6. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.
7. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer.
8. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.

Transmission Fluid Capacity
3.7 qt at change
4.5 qt at oil pan, valve body, and transmission fluid pump removal, installation, and replacement.
6.1 qt at overhaul

9. Temporarily install the filler plug with the sealing washer.
10. Lower the vehicle on the lift.
11. Start the engine, and warm it up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on twice).
12. While pressing the brake pedal firmly, shift in turn the shift lever to PRNDSDNRP (with paddle shifters)/ PRNDSLSDNRP (without paddle shifters) , and wait for at least 3 seconds to each position.
13. Turn the engine off.
14. Raise the vehicle on the lift, and make sure it is securely supported.
15. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer.
16. Add the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.
NOTE: Add transmission fluid after the shift lever operation without spending too much time.
17. Add the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.
18. Reinstall the filler plug with a new sealing washer.
Old 04-05-2016
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

CVT, I have a 2004 Civic with a CVT, I changed the trans fluid once a year. By the time the car reach 150k, trans went out. Honda promote the benefits of fuel economy....ya sure. The rebuilt trans cost me $2700 for a replacement. So where's the savings? Not to mention, they don't want you to tow anything as it puts too much stress on the trans. Maintain it and unload it when the car approach 100k. Good luck
Old 09-17-2016
Registered!!

Hamhocs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark1974
This is for a fluid change but it should help with fluid check as well.

#248 - What is the procedure to replace HCF-2 CVT fluid in a 2014 Civic? - YouTube

Procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle on a lift, and make sure it is securely supported.
2. Remove the engine undercover.
3. Start the engine, and warm it up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on twice).
4. Turn the engine off.
5. Remove the drain plug and the sealing washer, and drain the transmission fluid for at least 5 minutes.
NOTE: Remove metal particles from the magnetic surface of the drain plug. Be careful not to burn yourself by the hot part.
6. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.
7. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer.
8. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.

Transmission Fluid Capacity
3.7 qt at change
4.5 qt at oil pan, valve body, and transmission fluid pump removal, installation, and replacement.
6.1 qt at overhaul

9. Temporarily install the filler plug with the sealing washer.
10. Lower the vehicle on the lift.
11. Start the engine, and warm it up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on twice).
12. While pressing the brake pedal firmly, shift in turn the shift lever to PRNDSDNRP (with paddle shifters)/ PRNDSLSDNRP (without paddle shifters) , and wait for at least 3 seconds to each position.
13. Turn the engine off.
14. Raise the vehicle on the lift, and make sure it is securely supported.
15. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer.
16. Add the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.
NOTE: Add transmission fluid after the shift lever operation without spending too much time.
17. Add the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.
18. Reinstall the filler plug with a new sealing washer.
Hi, new to the Civic and to the forum. Just bought a used 14 automatic (43,000 miles) and my first thing will be to change the CVT fluid. Oil looks brand new so I'll wait on that. I am looking for the location of the CVT fluid check bolt. I believe that's what the above directions are referring to as the filler plug. The rubber plug up top doesn't have a crush washer. I just want to know where it is so I can check the fluid level. I think its #32 on this diagram but since it says drain plug, its confusing me. #24 is the drain plug, I believe, and #13 is the rubber fill plug up top. Anybody have any pics of the check bolt?

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.co...-case-cvt-scat

Last edited by Hamhocs; 09-17-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hamhocs
Hi, new to the Civic and to the forum. Just bought a used 14 automatic (43,000 miles) and my first thing will be to change the CVT fluid. Oil looks brand new so I'll wait on that. I am looking for the location of the CVT fluid check bolt. I believe that's what the above directions are referring to as the filler plug. The rubber plug up top doesn't have a crush washer. I just want to know where it is so I can check the fluid level. I think its #32 on this diagram but since it says drain plug, its confusing me. #24 is the drain plug, I believe, and #13 is the rubber fill plug up top. Anybody have any pics of the check bolt?

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.co...-case-cvt-scat
#13 is the filler plug/hole, you put the new fluid in there

#24 is the drain plug to drain the fluid

#32 is to check the fluid level
Old 09-17-2016

#32 is to check the fluid level
Also known as a "spill hole". Fill it until it spills out that hole.

A CVT trans service, drain and fill, will hold about 3.5 quarts (give or take, depending on how long you let it drain).

Because the quantity drained can vary quite a bit depending on how long you let it drain out, I like to catch the drained fluid so it can be measured. That way I know how much to pour in (or at least have a good starting point).
Old 09-18-2016
Registered!!

Hamhocs is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice! Thanks guys. I'm all set, just waiting for my fluid to arrive. I have a Ridgeline and Pilot and this is similar to the VTM-4 fluid change except the fill hole up top making things a lot easier.