8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

8th Gen Performance Torque Converter

Old 12-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cfermin00 is an unknown quantity at this point
8th Gen Performance Torque Converter

Hey guy Newbie here. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about getting a performance torque converter? And also where and which one could I buy? I'm trying to increase acceleration and overall performance of course. Tell me if this is a waste of time and if so, what should I concentrate on?
Old 12-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 8th Gen Performance Torque Converter

performance torque converter?
LOL!
It's an ECONOBOX. High stall TC would be a waste and would kill your gas mileage.

If you want a fast car, buy a fast car (like an Si).
Old 12-08-2015
Registered!!

pare_john is an unknown quantity at this point

Calling a Si a fast car is laughable as well. But I have to agree with his comment
Old 12-08-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pare_john
Calling a Si a fast car is laughable as well.
Maybe I should have said to buy a new Accord V6 then? It's stupid fast for a bone stock Honda.
Old 12-09-2015
Registered!!

Cfermin00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
LOL!
It's an ECONOBOX. High stall TC would be a waste and would kill your gas mileage.

If you want a fast car, buy a fast car (like an Si).
Thanks but how exactly would it be a waste?? I'm not worried about gas mileage I just want to make my civic faster. I'm not trying to purchase another car right now.
Old 12-10-2015

*sigh*
Go ahead and try it.
You'll be sadly disappointed.
Old 12-10-2015
Registered!!

pare_john is an unknown quantity at this point

While I usually promote to try everything, i have to agree that you won't see much gains for the money spent. I would look more into getting that autotragic out of there and swapping in a 5 sp.
Old 12-10-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Unless you are also going complete stand alone tcm you will gain absolutely nothing with a high stall TC. The pcm/tcm controls the lockup point for your torque converter. It might decide to do this at 3000 rpm, it might decide to do this at 5000 rpm. So regardless of stall speed as long as it has a lockup converter the computers will command the converter to go locked whenever it decides it should.

If you get a non lockup TC you will start having check engine light issues which can and will put your vehicle into a power limited fail safe (limp in) mode to prevent further damages. Some CEL codes prevent vtec from actuating which will kill even more of your engines hp. Some cel codes will limit you to below 3000 rpms.

I have driven many cars with non lockup converters, I have driven cars with high stall converters. These cars are not how a civic should behave. You currently have a car that can get 30 mpg and get up to speed at a reasonable pace. It sounds like you want a car that can get 20 mpg, will need a trans rebuild/replacement, and isn't really any faster. Having driven more civics than I can count at this point I think the civic that had the biggest seat of the pants performance gain was the car that had a .75 race cam set installed. That car was something else.
Old 12-10-2015

Originally Posted by mcnoople
I think the civic that had the biggest seat of the pants performance gain was the car that had a .75 race cam set installed. That car was something else.

*sniff...sniff*
What's that I smell?
Old 12-10-2015
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

They still make 3/4 race cams?? been a long time since i heard someone say that term…
Old 12-10-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

OP you can make her quick, but I wouldn't waist money on the torque converter.

cheapest route is a used NO2 kit, granted you do the labor your self, you're looking at $300. But then you you have to keep buying refills.

It's not nearly as dangerous to stock internals as FF may have made it out to be.

But if you want consistent power/speed yu will either need to sell the car and buy a fast car, or, spens at least $2000 (engine swap, boost or N/A build).
Old 12-10-2015

Originally Posted by mac25
IDK why nobody can get videos to link.