Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Which parts of TPMS sensor assembly can be "re-used" when putting in new sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which parts of TPMS sensor assembly can be "re-used" when putting in new sensors?

In the pick below, out of the parts 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12, which can be re-used when putting in new TPMS sensors? Just 8 (nut) and 9 (washer) or can any of 10 (grommet), 11 (cap, valve) or 12 (core, valve) be re-used? Looks like the TMPS sensor itself is only sold (from this dealer at least) if you buy the entire assembly (part 6).

Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Re: Which parts of TPMS sensor assembly can be "re-used" when putting in new sensors?

I decided to just get all the parts (parts 6: TPMS assembly and parts 8 and 9, the washer and nut) just to be sure. The wheels are 5 years old so I figured it would be a good time to install new TPMS sensors for the new set of wheels I'll be installing.
Old 09-10-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Which parts of TPMS sensor assembly can be "re-used" when putting in new sensors?

You certainly want new rubber washers, I did the valve cores as well.
Old 09-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They have to be programmed to the car after installation.

I think they say 7 years is an average lifespan for sensors, considering the internal battery is not serviceable.
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Thanks guys.

Can't I get an ATEQ device on ebay and use that to program the new sensors?

Edit: I read up a bit more on the TPMS and ATEQ devices and it seems that I can manually read the TPMS IDs from the actual TMPS sensors (since I will be getting a new set that will be installed in the new wheels) and then use the ATEQ QuickSet to reprogram the TPMS system with the new TMPS IDs from the new sensors in the new wheels. Anyone know if this is right? Or do I need the VT15 or VT30 to activate the sensors also (or just deflating/inflating will do the trick)?

Last edited by h4ldol; 09-10-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h4ldol
Thanks guys.

Can't I get an ATEQ device on ebay and use that to program the new sensors?
Maaaaybe.....

We have an ATEQ tool at the shop for reading sensors, but ours required additional parts for doing programming.
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Maaaaybe.....

We have an ATEQ tool at the shop for reading sensors, but ours required additional parts for doing programming.
I'll have to look into it more. I found a massive thread on this topic on a message board that seems to indicate that if you know the IDs you can use the QuickSet to reprogram the IDs and that's all you need, but not clear if that's the case or not.

In case anyone's interested, here's the link (it's from another Civic forum so mods please delete if this is a no-no): http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/whe...ogramming.html
Old 09-10-2015

(it's from another Civic forum so mods please delete if this is a no-no)
You can probably find where I've posted in that thread a dozen times too LOL

There are several different TPMS tools available through various manufacturers, and each seems to have its own way of programming.

ATEQ is one of the tools Honda sent us, but we purchased the extra stuff to program sensors on other cars.

Ours looks like this setup:

But I'm not sure if ours will write a blank sensor as in the description...

ATEQ has several different TPMS tools available, so pick out one that will do what you need it to do.

--------------

At work on Hondas I use the HDS scanner for enabling programming, and the ATEQ tool activates the sensors so the control unit can learn their ID#s.

The same ATEQ tool with its programming hardware can be used (without the Honda HDS scantool) for most of the other car brands we encounter at work: attach the adapter, connect to car, get it into the right mode and do the setup, then disconnect, walk it around to all 4 tires and read each one, then reconnect to the adapter and it loads the ID#s into the TPMS control unit.

It boils down to
if you use new sensors with new ID numbers, the new sensor ID numbers have to be 'learned' (electronically written) into the cars' TPMS control unit, as it will not 'learn' them on its own by driving.

Dropping pressure cannot do this, the only thing that was for was to activate brand new sensors that came from the factory in a "shipping" mode on new cars, or 'wake up' stationary sensors without driving the car (the ATEQ tool does the same thing)

The aftermarket has different options available, and one of those is 'programmable' or 'cloneable' sensors (no ID numbers, blank), where you obtain your original or current 4 sensor ID numbers and 'write' those ID#s into the new, blank set. This is one way to have winter and summer sets (or track wheels) without the hassle of reprogramming the system each time you swap wheels for the season.

Last edited by ezone; 09-10-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, that's very helpful. I definitely don't want the VT55 as I believe it costs over $1000! With the actual sensor IDs I'm hoping the QuickSet will do the trick of assigning the new IDs to the ECU. I'm told the sensors can be "activated" by deflating and then inflating the tires, which would be great so I don't need to get a VT15 or VT30 just for that. I bought a QuickSet off ebay for $135 shipped so I'll find out soon enough (once the wheels come in that is).

Edit: one part from that thread states that it may be possible to activate new, never before activated sensors by deflating/inflating, but if not, then I'll have to get a VT15 or VT30.

"Additional Notes

Note - the deflation/inflation to trigger a sensor won't work on new, previously un-activated sensors. These need the trigger radio signal to be sent to them at least once, to wake them up from the factory sleep mode (done to conserve the battery in new sensors). And yes - someday the battery will die and sensors have to be replaced, this could be in 8-10 years.

Updates

It looks like deflating/reinflating can be used to activate new TPMS sensors as reported by some others. I haven't tried this myself but its definitely worth a try especially if you know the sensor IDs and just want to use the Quickset by itself."

Last edited by h4ldol; 09-11-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

wasin105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I just wonder if you have any updated on the procedure? TIA . I am about to do the same on my 2011 honda civic. What do I actually need to buy( I mean do I need VT15 to activated sensors or by deflating/inflating ? Thank you.

Originally Posted by h4ldol
Thanks, that's very helpful. I definitely don't want the VT55 as I believe it costs over $1000! With the actual sensor IDs I'm hoping the QuickSet will do the trick of assigning the new IDs to the ECU. I'm told the sensors can be "activated" by deflating and then inflating the tires, which would be great so I don't need to get a VT15 or VT30 just for that. I bought a QuickSet off ebay for $135 shipped so I'll find out soon enough (once the wheels come in that is).

Edit: one part from that thread states that it may be possible to activate new, never before activated sensors by deflating/inflating, but if not, then I'll have to get a VT15 or VT30.

"Additional Notes

Note - the deflation/inflation to trigger a sensor won't work on new, previously un-activated sensors. These need the trigger radio signal to be sent to them at least once, to wake them up from the factory sleep mode (done to conserve the battery in new sensors). And yes - someday the battery will die and sensors have to be replaced, this could be in 8-10 years.

Updates

It looks like deflating/reinflating can be used to activate new TPMS sensors as reported by some others. I haven't tried this myself but its definitely worth a try especially if you know the sensor IDs and just want to use the Quickset by itself."

Last edited by wasin105; 06-11-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2016

Originally Posted by wasin105
Hi there,
I just wonder if you have any updated on the procedure? TIA . I am about to do the same on my 2011 honda civic. What do I actually need to buy( I mean do I need VT15 to activated sensors or by deflating/inflating ? Thank you.
If you are reusing your original sensors--installing them into a set of new wheels, they will work without any additional procedures.

Just don't break a sensor while dismounting or mounting the tires!
Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

Hi eZone ,
Thank you for your answer. I just got this car since it is LX and I just bought stock 2004 LSX Acura (just the rims). I plan to buy a new TPMS with all new tire. Do I need to change new TPMS? I read it the said it has 5-7years of battery life. If i buy the new TPMS , DO i need VT15 to activated the sensor? I think i will need ATEQ quick for sure.
sorry if it is a lot of question. I tried to save some money LOL.

Can you read TPMS ID from the sensor by eyes? or if they are writing on the sensors?

If you are reusing your original sensors--installing them into a set of new wheels, they will work without any additional procedures.

Just don't break a sensor while dismounting or mounting the tires!

Last edited by wasin105; 06-11-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2016

Each tire pressure sensor has a unique ID number, kind of like an electronic serial number.
The TPMS control unit inside the car is only capable of storing four unique ID numbers at any one time, and it looks for these four ID numbers whenever the car is rolling (sensors turn themselves on with centrifugal force while driving).
It is not capable of learning new sensors on its own, nor is it capable of storing two different sets of ID numbers (like when switching between winter and summer tires), this is where the scantools come in. Something has to erase the original ID numbers from memory and 'write' a new set of numbers into the memory through the scantool processes.

========

Battery life really can be all over the map, some die off unusually early and others have lasted upwards of 15 years.

=======

If you reuse the 4 original pressure sensors, they will operate without any additional work..

If you purchase 4 NEW sensors, you (MAY) have two options depending on what your supplier has available:

One, purchase programmable (or cloneable) sensors, this meaning they arrive without any ID, blank, and they can have an ID# written into them that the car will recognize and accept as its own -- duplicating the already accepted ID#s of the four original sensors the car is already using...
Read ID#s from the old sensors, make the new sensors match exactly.

This makes switching between sets of tires hassle free, bolt them on and go.

OR

Purchase 4 new regular sensors that have to be programmed to the car by use of a scantool of some sort. The hassle here is the programming, and there are many different manufacturers of electronic tools to do this with.

There are several threads related to DIYers getting tools for programming the TPMS systems at 9thgencivic.com if you'd like to browse there, search 'tpms' and you should find lots of stuff.

-------

Personally I have access to the Honda dealer level scanner and the ATEQ handheld tools. I really don't have much to offer as far as info about aftermarket solutions other than what's mentioned above.

If I had known there were cloneable sensors available when I got my second set of wheels, I would have gone this route.

EDIT:
Can you read TPMS ID from the sensor by eyes? or if they are writing on the sensors?
Usually the ID# is written on the sensor body, but you would have to dismount the tires to read them with your eyes.
HTH
Old 06-12-2016
Registered!!

Thank you again to en-light me. One last question how about when you rotate the set of 4( from front to back every 5000 miles)? Do you need to re-write the new order of TPMS's ID to the control unit? or not

Each tire pressure sensor has a unique ID number, kind of like an electronic serial number.
The TPMS control unit inside the car is only capable of storing four unique ID numbers at any one time, and it looks for these four ID numbers whenever the car is rolling (sensors turn themselves on with centrifugal force while driving).
It is not capable of learning new sensors on its own, nor is it capable of storing two different sets of ID numbers (like when switching between winter and summer tires), this is where the scantools come in. Something has to erase the original ID numbers from memory and 'write' a new set of numbers into the memory through the scantool processes.

========

Battery life really can be all over the map, some die off unusually early and others have lasted upwards of 15 years.

=======

If you reuse the 4 original pressure sensors, they will operate without any additional work..

If you purchase 4 NEW sensors, you (MAY) have two options depending on what your supplier has available:

One, purchase programmable (or cloneable) sensors, this meaning they arrive without any ID, blank, and they can have an ID# written into them that the car will recognize and accept as its own -- duplicating the already accepted ID#s of the four original sensors the car is already using...
Read ID#s from the old sensors, make the new sensors match exactly.

This makes switching between sets of tires hassle free, bolt them on and go.

OR

Purchase 4 new regular sensors that have to be programmed to the car by use of a scantool of some sort. The hassle here is the programming, and there are many different manufacturers of electronic tools to do this with.

There are several threads related to DIYers getting tools for programming the TPMS systems at 9thgencivic.com if you'd like to browse there, search 'tpms' and you should find lots of stuff.

-------

Personally I have access to the Honda dealer level scanner and the ATEQ handheld tools. I really don't have much to offer as far as info about aftermarket solutions other than what's mentioned above.

If I had known there were cloneable sensors available when I got my second set of wheels, I would have gone this route.

EDIT:

Usually the ID# is written on the sensor body, but you would have to dismount the tires to read them with your eyes.
HTH
Old 06-12-2016

Thank you again to en-light me. One last question how about when you rotate the set of 4( from front to back every 5000 miles)? Do you need to re-write the new order of TPMS's ID to the control unit? or not
Nothing special there either. Rotate and go.

If you had a newer car without individual tire pressure sensors (2014 and newer Civics) you would have to 'start the calibration' process.
Old 06-12-2016
Registered!!

Hi ezone
Did you ever see the 4 of TPMS from the honda in the PVC and pressurized. Is it worked on the honda too? I just saw youtube it is working on chevy. LOL

Thanks

If you had a newer car without individual tire pressure sensors (2014 and newer Civics) you would have to 'start the calibration' process.
Old 06-12-2016

Hi ezone
Did you ever see the 4 of TPMS from the honda in the PVC and pressurized. Is it worked on the honda too? I just saw youtube it is working on chevy. LOL

Thanks
No I have not.....

How would you simulate centrifugal force necessary to initiate transmitting?
Old 06-12-2016
Registered!!

I guess chevy do not need centrifugal force necessary to initiate transmitting. but no idea about honda. I think it should be the same type of TPMS.
No I have not.....

How would you simulate centrifugal force necessary to initiate transmitting?
Old 06-12-2016

I guess chevy do not need centrifugal force necessary to initiate transmitting. but no idea about honda. I think it should be the same type of TPMS.
There are two basic types of systems that use tire pressure sensors inside the tire

One requires centrifugal force to wake up the sensor and begin transmitting as its wheel spins while driving down the road. This type has a single control unit with receiver, usually in the dash somewhere.

The other type has an initiator (individual transmitter and receiver unit) near each wheel which is able to electronically wake each sensor and receive its readings transmitted. This type does not require centrifugal force to wake the sensors.

Honda has used both types..... The differences in ours are:
a vehicle that can identify on the dash display which tire is low is one that uses separate initiators, the latter type above.

A vehicle with a single low tire symbol which makes you hunt for the low tire, is the former type. All of our Civics fall into this category.
Old 06-12-2016
Registered!!

I think i am going to buy this ATEQ VT55( on discount LOL) to help me from dealer in the future. $367 I am about to tell my wife.
To buy the aftermarket, I saw one it comes with programming handheld and blank 4 TPMS(dorman =$289) but you still need VT30 to read ID.
And one more thing I do not believed in dorman TPMS that will last long compare to OEM one.
What do you think about my idea ezone?
Thanks for super fast response.

http://www.auobd.com/ateq-vt55-tpms-...stic-tool.html

Old 06-12-2016
Registered!!

LOL I got it now. NO bypass for 2011civic. Thanks
There are two basic types of systems that use tire pressure sensors inside the tire

One requires centrifugal force to wake up the sensor and begin transmitting as its wheel spins while driving down the road. This type has a single control unit with receiver, usually in the dash somewhere.

The other type has an initiator (individual transmitter and receiver unit) near each wheel which is able to electronically wake each sensor and receive its readings transmitted. This type does not require centrifugal force to wake the sensors.

Honda has used both types..... The differences in ours are:
a vehicle that can identify on the dash display which tire is low is one that uses separate initiators, the latter type above.

A vehicle with a single low tire symbol which makes you hunt for the low tire, is the former type. All of our Civics fall into this category.
Old 06-12-2016

Look closer before you leap.
The VT55 alone won't program sensors to the car, it can only wake and read their data.

See the pic in post #8 in this thread, that shows the rest of the ATEQ kit (additional cable with OBD2 connector) needed for programming the sensors to the car.....IF it can be done with that tool. Research first!
EDIT: MAybe it does include the necessary cable?
(I don't know if it works on Hondas, I've never tried it...I have the Honda scanner software to program with)

For Hondas we don't use aftermarket sensors.
We use aftermarket sensors on other brands of cars. Don't know long term reliability of them first hand.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

You are right. I just email them about that too OBD II interface cable.
I just read the VT55 manual, it said REPROGRAM ECU THROUGH OBD2 PORT, Note: this feature is not supported on all vehicles.
So I guess the bast way is to buy Quickset+VT30 . LOL
I will use old sensor till it died on me ,buy a new set.
I think about charging a battery on old TPMS too. Did you try it before?

Look closer before you leap.
The VT55 alone won't program sensors to the car, it can only wake and read their data.

See the pic in post #8 in this thread, that shows the rest of the ATEQ kit (additional cable with OBD2 connector) needed for programming the sensors to the car.....IF it can be done with that tool. Research first!
EDIT: MAybe it does include the necessary cable?
(I don't know if it works on Hondas, I've never tried it...I have the Honda scanner software to program with)

For Hondas we don't use aftermarket sensors.
We use aftermarket sensors on other brands of cars. Don't know long term reliability of them first hand.
Old 06-13-2016

, Note: this feature is not supported on all vehicles.
Did you inquire if the tool will do what you need to your particular car?
I think about charging a battery on old TPMS too. Did you try it before?
No, I have not attempted to recharge nor replace a battery and put the sensor back into service.
I have broken a couple open just to see what's in there though.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Did you inquire if the tool will do what you need to your particular car?

No, I have not attempted to recharge nor replace a battery and put the sensor back into service.
I have broken a couple open just to see what's in there though.
No I did not. I think i should follow everybody that successful just Quickset+VT30 and cheaper too($119+$180). For Quickset+VT30 I inquire the saleman he said it will do the works for 2011 civic.
I live in hawaii I think I do not think I need two sets of tire to swap but I hate to over pay to get the job done. My friend told me Cosco do it for free but I went online, it charges $20 per tire no include tax or another fee to put them on( I think no program or any kind of work to the TPMS sensor at all), if I want to change the new one probably more.
Do you have any advise? or just buy the tool and DIY?
One thing about DIY, I will have the tool to fix it out if something is wrong. LOL
Now I get it why people hate the TPMS system, they just tried to make money on the safety staff(maybe).

I see because I saw in the back is some kind of plastic put in the mold(white stuff) so no used, maybe just the Nut and washer then that can be re-use. LOL
Old 06-14-2016

Do you have any advise? or just buy the tool and DIY?
No advice here.
DIY and money questions are things you have to decide on.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

No advice here.
DIY and money questions are things you have to decide on.
Thank you.
Old 08-25-2019
Registered!!

sanpablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm getting new tires and tire pressure sensors today on my son's
2008 Civic EX. I was wondering if you could just put in regular tire valves
and somehow turn off the light on the dash (remove bulb? LOL) We bought the
Civic used with 32,000 miles, has 82,000 now, don't know if the tire pressure sensors
are the originals but figured they need changing now. Hopefully will not have to worry about
it for another 8 years or so :-) Was just curious if you could put regular tire valves in without
causing any problems?
thanks
Old 08-25-2019

If you're already buying new sensors, why try to defeat the system? IMO it works great when it works.
Hope the shop programs the new sensors to the car so the TPMS warning light doesn't stay on.