8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

what brand of oil & filter do You use..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
what brand of oil & filter do You use..?

what brand of engine oil do You use in Your Civic? and what about
the oil Filter ..?
Old 07-14-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: what brand of oil & filter do You use..?

Castrol Syntec with FRAM filter.

For my Fit I will be sticking with Honda oil and filter.
Old 07-14-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

^ what's the logic there? GolNat

I don't have an 8/9 gen so I'm going to fail to answer the OP
Old 07-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was this intended to be in 8th-9th gen?

I use Honda bulk 0w20 and the Honda filter in the Civic
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marteam is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Mobil 1 oil and filter. Anyways, it doesn't really matter what brand you use as long as you follow the recommended oil change interval.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Got the maintenance plan with the Honda dealership for my 2014, so whatever they stick in it for me lol.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

standard quaker state oil and fram filter since the day i bought it brand new,

now at 290,000kms and still doesn't burn a drop
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever is on sale for oil and Pulorator Gold or Fram toughguard .this filters are better than Honda or at least the same quality
Originally Posted by brags
what brand of engine oil do You use in Your Civic? and what about
the oil Filter ..?
Old 07-16-2015

Mobile1, castrol, Quaker state, all good oils. You Guys might want to research Pennzoil Pure Plus. it has more Detergents in it compared to most other oils. engine stayes cleaner that's why I use it in my 8th Gen along with
a Fram XG syn oil filter. and lastly I add a can of BG MOA
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

I " used " Fram for years. Until one day during an oil change, I looked at the metal threads. What I saw shocked me, there was metal shaving on them.
I went back to local parts store to check other units.
They were all like that.
If you look on box, Fram is now mfg in Mexico now.
Quality control. ...Yeah what quality control.
I only use OEM Honda filters now and as for oil M2 0/40.
Old 07-19-2015
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stock 99
^ what's the logic there? GolNat
Well that was before I learned about detergents and different additives that are added to meet manufacture specs. Castrol is a great oil and my Civic is at 200k (it does burn oil). The Honda oil is actually cheaper and meets Honda's specs which is good enough for me. I have always used Fram, and they supply Honda with filters. I know people liked the older filters because they had something that the new ones don't have (can't remember what) but does it really make a difference? Honda still uses them so...
Old 07-19-2015

Originally Posted by 0396
I " used " Fram for years. Until one day during an oil change, I looked at the metal threads. What I saw shocked me, there was metal shaving on them.
I went back to local parts store to check other units.
They were all like that.
If you look on box, Fram is now mfg in Mexico now.
Quality control. ...Yeah what quality control.
I only use OEM Honda filters now and as for oil M2 0/40.
the XG frams are ok to use the orange cheap ones are the problem
Old 07-19-2015

Where I live in Canada Ontario the Same blue Honda oil filter here is
made Locally by "Honeywell and supplied to You by Honda" as O.E.M equipment so in other words if You Live in Canada you are realy buying a Locally made FRAM oil filter made by (Honeywell)

so for all You Canadian Honda owners out there when You think Your
buying a Honda oil filter at Your Local dealer think again its really a Fram
oil filter made Locally by Honeywell and distrubeted to Honda dealers. I used
to use Napas Gold wich was really a wix oil filter but I stoped because the Local Napa
here where I go kept jacking up the cost of the filter so the other

option was to go to Honda dealer but then again if I wanted a Honda oil filter that I Knew
was made by FRAM Anyway.?? I WOULD BY A FRAM oil filter at
my Local Wallmart.
Old 07-19-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GolNat
Well that was before I learned about detergents and different additives that are added to meet manufacture specs. Castrol is a great oil and my Civic is at 200k (it does burn oil). The Honda oil is actually cheaper and meets Honda's specs which is good enough for me. I have always used Fram, and they supply Honda with filters. I know people liked the older filters because they had something that the new ones don't have (can't remember what) but does it really make a difference? Honda still uses them so...
The Honda dealership where I live offered to sell me bulk Honda oil at one point..... I really didn't like the idea of putting random bulk oil in my car though... my dealership IS NOT TRUSTWORTHY to begin with. The Honda filter and the Fram are the same price and there are differences when you cut them open (because I have.... and posted pics here).

..... I'm not huge on contributing to oil threads so that's all I'm going to say.
Old 07-20-2015

The way Honda works in Canada,ont is they get "Honeywell manufacturer
that makes Fram oil filters" to make a oil filter to Hondas requested specs and configuarations with a built in anti-drain back valve and painted blue but the media is still a fram type compatable to a Tough guard filter.
Old 07-26-2015

Originally Posted by jordan1794
Got the maintenance plan with the Honda dealership for my 2014, so whatever they stick in it for me lol.

whatever they stick in it.? think again...?

many domestic and foreign manufactures dealers do use the correct oil/filter for oil & filter change on Your car many problems are the intervals set by the manufactures. often times many will set there oil & filter change intervals beyond where the oil has broken down. wich creates other problems like timing chains failing, or excessive oil consumption, or worse.

not saying Honda oil & filters are bad. im just suggesting to be more aware & ask Honda next time what there pouring in Your engine whether its synthetic or mineral ..? after all its Your Honda...
Old 07-26-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

whatever they stick in it.? think again...?
I dump the same oil in my car that I dump in customers cars. Same filters too.

beyond where the oil has broken down.
This is why specs are important.
Old 07-26-2015

Originally Posted by ezone
I dump the same oil in my car that I dump in customers cars. Same filters too.

This is why specs are important.

Your missing my Point ezone
im talking about awareness as far as what was being put in
Jordans Honda...?? around here I have heard of Honda dealers using
mineral oil in Hondas and Honda asking them to come back after
7.500 km"s..! wich does NOT.! sit well with me so in other words
someone Lets say like me... brings in there Honda for an oil change that

really Honda should be Putting in synthetic oil/filter but decides instead to use a cheaper alternative like mineral oil should I have to except that from HONDA where im getting less than I bargained for..? No..! mineral oil in a Modern engine like todays engines equipped with a timing chain that gets lubricated and rel"ys on the oil to protect it. in my opinion DOES and should NOT be in there.
Old 07-26-2015

Your missing my Point ezone
Not really. I was just implying the dealer I work for DOES use oil that Honda approves.

I'm painfully aware that some dealerships do not.

Funny how some can't afford to use the correct stuff, while others can't afford not to.

around here I have heard of Honda dealers using
mineral oil in Hondas and Honda asking them to come back after
7.500 km"s..! wich does NOT.! sit well with me so
Around 2001ish (early 7th gen Civics) Honda was specifying 10,000 MILES on oil changes. On regular oil. (That oil may not meet todays needs though.)
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

2001 honda civic 150000 miles. I use valvoline premium conventional oil 5w-20. With the so called " junk orange fram filter" which i can say iv have never had a problem with them. But i also dont go 5000-10000 miles on an oil change.but this next oil change im changing to a puralator classic. I still change my oil every 3000 miles. Always have and always will...i look at it as cheap insurance for my engine 😀

Last edited by honda200192; 07-27-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

My dealership always puts a sticker on the window for 3,000 miles for the next change.
Not like they are trying to get money from me, they already got it because I got the maintenance plan.

I just run with the maintenance minder. I've changed my oil every now and then just so I know how, and it was definitely good oil, with a genuine Honda oil filter on it.

I'm not too worried, I also have the extended warranty for 10 years/100k miles so if they fu....fudge something up, it will be on them :P.

I'll probably sell the car at about the 9 1/2 year mark and get a new civic or accord.
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by honda200192
2001 honda civic 150000 miles. I use valvoline premium conventional oil 5w-20. With the so called " junk orange fram filter" which i can say iv have never had a problem with them. But i also dont go 5000-10000 miles on an oil change. I still change my oil every 3000 miles. Always have and always will...i look at it as cheap insurance for my engine 😀

i agree with this, in my opinion frequency is more important then quality, as long as the oil is approved
Old 07-27-2015
Prelude Owner

^ yes frequency is important but 3k is just to short IMO.

Originally Posted by honda200192
But i also dont go 5000-10000 miles on an oil change. I still change my oil every 3000 miles.
I take it to 7500. Honda manual says 10,000 for regular driving, 5,000 for severe, so I stick it in the middle. I also drive 20k+ miles a year and don't want to change my oil every 2 months.

For my Fit I'll just wait for the minder to tell me. Seems like most people go 5k and more.
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
^ yes frequency is important but 3k is just to short IMO.

I take it to 7500. Honda manual says 10,000 for regular driving, 5,000 for severe, so I stick it in the middle. I also drive 20k+ miles a year and don't want to change my oil every 2 months.

For my Fit I'll just wait for the minder to tell me. Seems like most people go 5k and more.
to each their own.....im not going to argue and try to say i am right and others are wrong, i just continue to do what keeps working for me for the past 20+ years and that is 3,000 miles or 3 months, just my opinion
Old 07-28-2015

At least GolNat does his earlier. "than Hondas recommended 10.000 mile
interval using mineral oil..!" honda would love to sell us another Honda. LOL

5.000 Canadian kms or 3.000 usa miles I don't care what You think Honda
mineral oil"s additive package is cooked & used up and I can tell it to
Honda straite up 10.000miles on mineral oil all its doing is creating
sludge and wear in that engine that's leading to a worn burning oil down
the road engine that's Fact Folks!.
Old 07-28-2015
Prelude Owner

I don't know. There are some pretty smart folks over at Honda. Not sure if the new cars with the monitoring system will let them go 10k but maybe depending how you drive.
Old 07-28-2015
Registered!!

The way I personally look at it...We live in a world where lawsuits run rampant..
Fairly certain that if it could be proven (Which it could be, pretty easily) that following the minder and getting the oil changed at the dealership were to cause engine damage/sludge build-up...Honda would have quite the settlement to deal with.

I doubt they would risk it, they make less money the further the cars go without a change so, in my opinion, you could probably go even further than the minder states without issues...
Old 07-30-2015

We all follow mileage intervals for changing are oil right. But has anyone
taken into account "idle time..?" for example did You no for every hour
Your engine idles Highway/City its the equivalent of driving Forty u.s.a miles..!
so in reality when im changing my oil in Canada at lets say 5,000kms when I factore in
my idle time spent its actually more than what the odometer says...
Old 07-30-2015

We all follow mileage intervals for changing are oil right. But has anyone
taken into account "idle time..?" for example did You no for every hour
Your engine idles Highway/City its the equivalent of driving Forty u.s.a miles..!
so in reality when im changing my oil in Canada at lets say 5,000kms when I factore in
my idle time spent its actually more than what the odometer says...

I believe the Maintenance Minder system factors idle time into its oil life calculations.

The simple mileage counters on older cars ("maint req'd" lights) does not.
Old 07-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by ezone
I believe the Maintenance Minder system factors idle time into its oil life calculations.
I think it does too. My Fit is at 90% oil life and I have put close to 2000 miles on it. I am thinking it's probably not a linear decline. I do drive mostly highway and country roads with only what we Delawarians consider a city for a few miles with no bumper to bumper traffic.

Quick Reply: what brand of oil & filter do You use..?