8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 Civic Dead Battery Problem

Old 07-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailorman3 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Civic Dead Battery Problem

My wife left the key in the on position when she rolled up the window in her Civic today and drained the battery. I boosted it and it started fine but now several lights are on in the dash including ABS, Power Steering, brake etc. Will these lights turn off as the battery charges or will the ignition have to be cycled. I don't want to turn it off right now because it is raining hard and I don't want to boost it again in the rain. thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: 2012 Civic Dead Battery Problem

Sounds like there is more going on here than just a discharged battery.
Did she leave any lights on for a long time or something? Simply rolling up the window shouldn't drain the battery (In my 2014 I turn the car off, then roll up all 4 windows, plus the sunroof.)

Someone else will probably have more insight, but my first thought would be to simply check the fuses when possible. Assuming none are blown, I'd get the battery and charging system tested.
How many miles? I don't think your battery would be completely bad after only 3 years, but I guess it depends on the wear it's seen (And has it been discharged on any other occasions besides this one?)
Old 07-03-2015
Registered!!

She left the key in the on position for several hours after rolling up the window. The battery was completely dead.
Old 07-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sailorman3
She left the key in the on position for several hours after rolling up the window. The battery was completely dead.
You have a wife problem, not a car problem.

Ok seriously.
Gotta make sure the key is OFF when you connect jumper cables or booster. The computers can freak out when there are sudden power spikes.
Battery going dead with the key on probably set a boatload of low voltage fault codes all over the car.

Assuming the battery has already been charged up now,
First idea is to disconnect the neg cable and leave it off for maybe 10 minutes as a sort of reboot process, and leave the door open or short the cables together to discharge any stray system voltage stored.

Make sure key is OFF, then reconnect the neg cable--- and see what happens.
Old 07-04-2015
Registered!!

I took the car for a run last night to charge the battery fully. Once I got on the road everything went back to normal. Thanks for the help. Yes I do have a wife problem. This is the 3rd time she has let the battery go dead, but only the first that I have got the warning lights. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Remember, we don't fix wives, we just live with them and it's a lot cheaper fixing Hondas. Words of wisdom and I maybe even smarter than ezone here..know more experienced...ha.
Old 07-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Remember, we don't fix wives, we just live with them and it's a lot cheaper fixing Hondas. Words of wisdom and I maybe even smarter than ezone here..know more experienced...ha.
I had a wife once. She went back to her husband.