8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Help with hard wire in a 2015 EX

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sbi is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with hard wire in a 2015 EX

Does anyone know how to remove the A-pillar in a 15' EX (with the speaker on the A-pillar), know of a video or photo guide? I need to hard wire a dash cam, preferably through the passenger's side and underneath the glove compartment to the 12V socket.

Thank you.
Old 06-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with hard wire in a 2015 EX

Pull seal out of the way
pull trim out away from the pillar
(1 or 2 simple pins in the middle plus the compound clip at the top)
slide trim upward off the top clip (will be kinda tight, watch your knuckles), top clip stays in the body

you have to squeeze the 2 ears to get compound clip out of the pillar and then put it back together, then install it into the trim piece before putting trim in place on the pillar.

Or just pull the trim out far enough to tuck the wires under the edges of it.
I've got several wires running up both of my A pillar trims.
Old 06-11-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Pull seal out of the way
pull trim out away from the pillar
(1 or 2 simple pins in the middle plus the compound clip at the top)
slide trim upward off the top clip (will be kinda tight, watch your knuckles), top clip stays in the body

you have to squeeze the 2 ears to get compound clip out of the pillar and then put it back together, then install it into the trim piece before putting trim in place on the pillar.

Or just pull the trim out far enough to tuck the wires under the edges of it.
I've got several wires running up both of my A pillar trims.
What is the 'trim'? I know what the door seal and what the A-Pillar cover are, but what is the trim? Are you referring to the A-Pillar cover as a trim? If so, this is what I need to know - how to take it out. Does the speaker need to come out first, do I need to replace any of the pins with new ones?

I know I can tuck away a wire between the A-Pillar cover and the roof liner, but if I am not mistaken doing so means the wire will be in front of the/a airbags (the curtain and the side-curtain) and could interfere with its operation, so the best way to do it is to tuck the wire behind the airbag and in order to do that the A-Pillar cover must come off.
Old 06-11-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Trim = plastic interior part you called the cover.
Dang near anything that covers up ugly stuff gets called trim LOL

Speaker stays in the trim IIRC just watch out for the wire. You should figure this out once you can see it.

pins are reused, just the top pin has to be removed from the body, reassembled, and inserted in the slot in the trim before you put the trim back on.

Once you get the trim off you'll see just how much of the side curtain airbag is really in that area. It's just the tail end of the bag.

HTH
Old 06-12-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Trim = plastic interior part you called the cover.
Dang near anything that covers up ugly stuff gets called trim LOL

Speaker stays in the trim IIRC just watch out for the wire. You should figure this out once you can see it.

pins are reused, just the top pin has to be removed from the body, reassembled, and inserted in the slot in the trim before you put the trim back on.

Once you get the trim off you'll see just how much of the side curtain airbag is really in that area. It's just the tail end of the bag.

HTH
Thanks ezone. Yes, I know it's not much of an airbag, I pulled the 'trim' ( ) in my 05' accord and know how it looks. The pin (the one that says "Curtain Airbag" or something like that) in the Accord must be replaced.

Pardon for me being picky - when you say pull the trim 'out away', do you mean away from the A-Pillar towards the inside of the car? If I am not mistaken, in later Accord models it needs to go up. I just want to make sure I don't break anything

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2015

do you mean away from the A-Pillar towards the inside of the car?
Correct.
AFTER the trim is pulled away and pins and clip have been released, the top clip does not let go completely as it has only been (sort of extended, for lack of a better term) the trim must be slid (upward toward the roof and parallel with the windshield pillar) to get the clip to slide out of the trim.

Go to http://estore.honda.com/, look up accessory installation instructions for ....a remote start system for your car. There should be more detailed instructions (with pictures) about how to get that trim off somewhere in those. (clip has always been reusable when I do it, although most of the kits come with a replacement just in case you break it)
Old 06-12-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Thank you.

Edit: All done. Pulled the trim out a little bit, didn't even take it out all the way and didn't remove the clip, just 'disconnected' it and removed far from the A Pillar far enough to pass the wire behind the air bag and up to the roof liner in the bag of the trim, then snapped it back in and inserted the door weather strip back in place.

Last edited by sbi; 06-14-2015 at 06:54 AM.