8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

UPDATE: Horn upgrade on 2015 EX - is there ANY way to

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sbi is an unknown quantity at this point
UPDATE: Horn upgrade on 2015 EX - is there ANY way to

get to the horn and replace it without removing the bumper?

Thanks.

Last edited by sbi; 06-14-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Horn upgrade on 2015 EX - is there ANY way to

Likely, No.

The Civic will probably never see a real horn(s)
Old 06-10-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Likely, No.

The Civic will probably never see a real horn(s)
I don't get. This is really a safety device and I can understand the desire to cut costs, but why put it in such a hard to get location

Now, if someone could tell me how to remove the bumper without breaking the tabs that will be nice (not the black pins that you pull out; the white tabs underneath the headlights).
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

I'd imagine part of the reasoning is to make it more difficult to remove said horn if you were trying to steal the car.
Also needs to be protected from any debris that may bounce up into the engine area.
Old 06-11-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jordan1794
I'd imagine part of the reasoning is to make it more difficult to remove said horn if you were trying to steal the car.
Also needs to be protected from any debris that may bounce up into the engine area.
I don't buy the steal the car reason. I am not saying it should be accessible without taking out any panel or part, but it could be in the same place as in the Accord (I have 2013 Accord) where you just need to take the top cover in the engine compartment above the radiator, not the entire front bumper.
Old 06-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I think on the Civic sedan it's right up top too. Coupe is PITA down low behind the bumper.
(Maybe that's backwards.... Did not check from the lunchroom LOL)
Old 06-11-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I think on the Civic sedan it's right up top too. Coupe is PITA down low behind the bumper.
(Maybe that's backwards.... Did not check from the lunchroom LOL)
That's what I am trying to find out . And why would the front part of a Civic would be any different between sedan and coupe?
Old 06-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sbi
That's what I am trying to find out .
Seems like every pimple-faced new engineer and designer fresh out of engineer or designer school that gets hired (really anywhere) has to prove themselves at their brand new job.
They all want to reinvent the wheel to prove they are worth something and they might get their designs put to use....but after a few years others finally figure out the old wheel worked just fine and was cheaper to manufacture so they go back to it. This cycle repeats every few years as new batches of pimple-faced graduates fresh out of engineer and designer schools get hired and feel the need to prove they are worth something.....

Example: Air filter box fasteners---- Clips or bolts?

I dunno, I gave up trying to figure out WTF they were thinking when they thought that (really just about anything) up. Sometimes it's hard enough to just fix the stuff that made it into production.

And why would the front part of a Civic would be any different between sedan and coupe?
You might not think it to just look at the two, but the bodies can be really quite different if you start comparing closely and measuring.
Old 06-12-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Air box: That 01-05 with the open treads on the inserts was a bad design unless you kept up on it.

Horns:It likely is cost, but I wonder if the disc horns are not better suited for being lower in the car due to rain and debris getting into curled plastic and further in.
Old 06-14-2015
sbi
Registered!!

Re: UPDATE: Horn upgrade on 2015 EX - is there ANY way to

UPDATE: Good news - at least in 2015 sedan EX, Speedbird Meep-Meep is right at the top on the left side (when looking at the car) . Removed the plastic cover and searched down towards the bottom assuming it was there...couldn't find anything and I said "where the heck did they put it?", didn't even think of looking up first
So now I just need to figure out if there is enough space for the two-tone upgraded horn because the existing one is very, very small and it kind'a pulls 'out' of the frame and above the a/c condenser. Needs to see if there is enough space - depth between condenser and grill and height between a/c and the plastic trim - for the new one (the third pic is right from above, showing the space between the condenser and the grill).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150613_194450.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	87788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150613_194458.jpg
Views:	4596
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	87789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150613_194719.jpg
Views:	3578
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	87790  
Old 11-29-2015
Registered!!

talon95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sbi
UPDATE: Good news - at least in 2015 sedan EX, Speedbird Meep-Meep is right at the top on the left side (when looking at the car) . Removed the plastic cover and searched down towards the bottom assuming it was there...couldn't find anything and I said "where the heck did they put it?", didn't even think of looking up first
So now I just need to figure out if there is enough space for the two-tone upgraded horn because the existing one is very, very small and it kind'a pulls 'out' of the frame and above the a/c condenser. Needs to see if there is enough space - depth between condenser and grill and height between a/c and the plastic trim - for the new one (the third pic is right from above, showing the space between the condenser and the grill).
Did you ever get this to work? What horns did you use? I just got a 2016 Civic Touring and found to my dismay that Honda wants the horn on their top trim model to sound like a Mitsubishi Mirage. Don't know what will work on this new design, but I have to start somewhere. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2015

Always a worry that water would get into snail style Accord horns mounted low. (but would like to have something real)

^^^ In the pictures... I would almost be willing to cut an area of that plastic shroud on my 2013 to get a single something up there. Single Ford, or GM horn maybe.
Old 11-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sbi
I don't get. This is really a safety device and I can understand the desire to cut costs, but why put it in such a hard to get location

Now, if someone could tell me how to remove the bumper without breaking the tabs that will be nice (not the black pins that you pull out; the white tabs underneath the headlights).
Go to the dealer and get a bag of clips, I got a bunch for the interior cause I break half of them every time I remove a panel.