8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

09 Civic Si vtec repair price advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omega5225 is an unknown quantity at this point
09 Civic Si vtec repair price advice

Just to put it out there, it belongs to a friend. She had the car taken to a shop and looked at. They advised her that the timing chain was off a tooth or two. With that being said. And i know there are many factors involved. But the gave her a price of 1,400 to 1,500 dollars just to put a new chain in, valve cover gasket, plugs. Now i would hope with the price being that high that they ment a complete timing set. I.e. chain, guides, tenioner. And unless im wrong it has a balance shaft chain and adjuster for it also. Does that price sound right for everything? Just curious, cause i thought it was high to just put only the chain in. But what good is the chain without the guides and tensioner. And i think they just wanted to put the chain parts in and start it to see if it had bent valves. She doesnt know anything about cars abd most shops see her as a easy target. Thats sad to say but there are shops out there like that. Any info on reasonalble prices? Or was that right?
Old 03-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 09 Civic Si vtec repair price advice

it belongs to a friend.
How many miles are on this?
They advised her that the timing chain was off a tooth or two.
Is this a "low maintenance" car? Neglecting oil changes and using cheapo oil seems to be a huge factor in timing chain lifespan.

he had the car taken to a shop and looked at. They advised her that the timing chain was off a tooth or two. With that being said. And i know there are many factors involved. But the gave her a price of 1,400 to 1,500 dollars
Do you trust this shop? Do they (the tech doing the work) know what they are doing? Reputable? Quality?
A job like this can go bad in a hurry if someone doesn't know what they are doing.

And unless im wrong it has a balance shaft chain and adjuster for it also.
That would be the oil pump drive chain.

Now i would hope with the price being that high that they ment a
Ask that shop, not us. There should be a written estimate and it should include all of the parts they put a number to. Don't assume a darn thing here.

Not sure why they want to stick spark plugs in if it jumped the timing chain.
100k maintenance interval on plugs.

Any info on reasonalble prices?
Get an estimate from the Honda dealer.
Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

She said she found someone that can do the work for her and she trusts him. Can you recommend somewhere they can purchase a chain set? And I'm sure if he replaces the chain he would, but he should replace the oil pump drive chain and its adjuster shouldn't he? It may be a low maintainance issue. I know a little about cars. But I'm not sure of the mileage, I've not looked at it myself, I only know what she has mentioned to me talking. But I'm sure it has at least 130,000 miles on it.
Old 03-22-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can you recommend somewhere they can purchase a chain set?
Any Honda dealership.

And I'm sure if he replaces the chain he would, but he should replace the oil pump drive chain and its adjuster shouldn't he?
Ask the person doing the work.
I haven't had to replace a pump drive chain myself, and it would add expense on top of a regular timing chain job.

I'm sure it has at least 130,000 miles on it.

It may be a low maintainance issue.
I'd figure it is. Either lack of service or low quality oil, or both.
The people I have seen with chain problems were not regular customers at our shop (dealership).

HTH
Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

Lack of service is almost always the cause of most any failures. Most people find that out the expensive way unfortunately. I think they were trying to find a cheaper price for the chain set than at the dealer. But thank you for taking time to answer a few questions
Old 03-22-2015

Originally Posted by omega5225
I think they were trying to find a cheaper price for the chain set than at the dealer.
I work for a dealer, I'm not familiar with aftermarket sources.

The shop will probably get a standard jobber type discounted price from the local Honda dealer parts department, probably similar to what anyone can get dealer parts online for.
Then they mark it up, same as every other decent business. How much mark up is up to the business.

The shop (and you) can double check your local dealers prices against any of the many online Honda dealer catalogs. (Your local dealer does not have to follow MSRP, they are free to use any pricing system they feel necessary to make profit.)
I use this one for posting images here all the time, but there are many dealers selling online at wholesale prices.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Don't expect to get any parts priced below retail unless you can get it yourself. If your shop will allow you to purchase your own parts, there may be other stipulations *such as no warranty* and a corresponding increase in labor fees to offset lost parts profit.

HTH