8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2007 Civic Hybrid

Old 12-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
troutbum24 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic Hybrid

I have a 2007 civic hybrid. It suffers from lack of power. I understand it’s a hybrid and that they don’t have as much power as a regular civic, but I have talked to other people that own hybrids and they say they do not have any issues with accelerating. I have researched everywhere online but all I can find that comes up is battery issues and I don’t really think that is the case… all the electronics work fine. It seems as if the engine is having issues. When accelerating it takes a long time to hit the given speed limit (55 or 65 MPH) on the highway. If I’m climbing a hill its much worse and achieving 55 MPH is almost impossible on a steeper grade and other cars will be passing me while I have it pinned at 2500-3000 RPMs and keeping my speed right a 45. If I take the RPM’s any higher it doesn’t do me much good. Other issues that may or may not be related to the lack of power are, after long uphill climbs I can smell what smells like burnt rubber, and often when I stop at a stoplight the car will vibrate or cavitate.
I’m hoping this is an easy fix and have googled “Honda Civic loss of Power” and came up with things such as O2 sensor, EGR valve, and catalytic converter all of which I know nothing about.
(Im not a mechanic by any means but to summarize my experience) I have replaced steering rack, and tie rods, timing belt and all other belts, heater core, and alternator on my old Tacoma, as well as brakes and ac compressor clutch on our old civic LX.
Any ideas of my problem?
Old 12-08-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid

So... you can't rev much over 3000RPM? This is pretty basic but are the fuel, air, oil filters ok?? Fluids are good? How's the transmission? Is it shifting ok? Check the fluid?
02 sensors were pretty easy on mine, but it is older and definitely isn't a hybrid. Is it throwing any codes? Making weird noises?
Old 12-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

#1 Is the CEL on, or the IMA warning light on? See why and get that taken care of first.

#1 Go find an identical Hybrid Civic to drive for comparison. They are not fast.

#1 It has a CVT trans, it's going to hold a consistent RPM under hard acceleration. If yours only reaches 3000 RPM on hard acceleration, you either have a severe intake/exhaust restriction (clogged filter or plugged exhaust) or you don't really have the gas pedal floored:

#1 Pull the floormats out from under the gas pedal. Scoot the seat up so you can floor that gas pedal all the way to the radiator. LOL

#1 If the IMA battery meter on the dash isn't showing more than a half charge, the IMA assist on acceleration will disappear shortly after takeoff and you will be accelerating on engine power alone, and it's slow.

These are all marked #1 because they are all important LOL.
Old 12-08-2014
Registered!!

I can definitely go over 3000 RPM's but it does not gain me much more power or acceleration.. Just sounds like the car is about to blow up. No check engine lights or CEL lights on..
Old 12-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is this something new and different and unusual for this car?

Or did you just get the car and are not familiar with it?

A CVT trans does not shift like a regular automatic trans. If you floor the gas and hold it there, the engine should go to near redline (IIRC it goes to around 5500 RPM or so) and stay there until you let off the gas pedal.
Old 12-08-2014
Registered!!

I have driven another honda civic hybrid and this thing is a piece of crap compared to the other one I drove.