8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Finally getting my first honda, but is this deal too good to be true?

Old 09-14-2014
The Indomidable Spirit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zotikos is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Finally getting my first honda, but is this deal too good to be true?

Hey guys,

So brief history I've always loved honda's, but after trashing my buddies prelude when I was 17 well I stayed away for a while. Now 8 years later I'm back looking at a nice 2006 Civic DX-G.

Essentially my buddy is offering me his 2006 Civic DX-G, for 3000. 235K KM on it, manual, no rust, and it seems pretty clean. Few issues are cosmetic (Handbreak plastic handle is busted and the driver side visor was taken off to install a blue-tooth mic but never put back.)

I'm looking to buy this car for my company work, and to start getting into my own mechanics (done only breaks, alternator rebuilds, and similar things thus far.)

Is this a good price for a car like this with that many kilometers? And how are the DX-Gs as far as home repair to learn on if something goes wrong?
And how many more KM can I realistically expect out of this kind of car (Assuming I do general maintenance and take good care of it of course!)

You guys are the experts so I really look forward to hearing from you and spending more time on the forum!

Peace and Love!
The Indomitable Spirit Zotikos

EDIT: I also noticed the 2006 civic EX a few users had talked about having engine recalls, seems checking the vin for this car there is a recall for the rear bearing, and a software update. Would I still be eligible for these? And should I be worried about other recalls? Thanks guys!

Last edited by Zotikos; 09-14-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: After more searching I had more questions! :P
Old 09-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finally getting my first honda, but is this deal too good to be true?

EDIT: I also noticed the 2006 civic EX a few users had talked about having engine recalls, seems checking the vin for this car there is a recall for the rear bearing, and a software update. Would I still be eligible for these? And should I be worried about other recalls? Thanks guys!
Contact your local dealership service department for details. Yes if there are open recalls, get them completed.

The 1.8L engines (06 to very early '10) have a warranty extension covering a cracked block casting, it is not a recall.

Get a prepurchase inspection done BEFORE you purchase it, that way you may have bargaining power, may know what lies ahead (repairs and maintenance), what the car may need immediately, and if you should just walk away from it without even bothering.

Um, welcome to the forum!
Old 09-14-2014
The Indomidable Spirit

Ezone! Awesome to get a reply from you, I've been reading your posts for a while. Lol

In regards to inspection, obviously I would do so to ensure the mechanics are A1. The price was assuming there is no problems, he is willing to drop it down to 2600 to cover any repairs that would need to be done. So anything under 400$ to fix I won't even have to pay for.

I'm just not sure with that mileage if there are things I should expect, or what kind of values these kinds of cars retain.

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to helping out once my knowledge is sufficient!

Last edited by Zotikos; 09-14-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: I math
Old 09-14-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zotikos
I'm just not sure with that mileage if there are things I should expect,
That's why you should have a PRE-purchase inspection completed, done by a knowledgeable professional.

Get all service and maintenance records, see what has and hasn't been done. Plan on catching up on whatever maintenance hasn't been done, and fix whatever is needed as needed.

Manual trans in those cars has so far been pretty trouble free, but then we don't have very many come through my shop here.

or what kind of values these kinds of cars retain.
Hondas retain damn good resale value compared to many other brands.

Look up the value for that car.... IDK if Canada uses a different system, here we have KBB.com and edmunds.

(I can't assign a dollar value to cars the same way other people might. I work in the wrong department for that.)

he is willing to drop it down to 2600
Is the title clean?

HTH
Old 09-14-2014
The Indomidable Spirit

Carfax shows the title is clean, he just replaced the battery so I'm going to check if the alternator is doing well. Previous owner was a mechanic, don't know if that's good or bad, but rust proof has been done consistently.

KBB rates the car at 5400, which seems kind of inflated to me. That's why I'm so clueless, there are many selling for 4000+ but with fewer KM. From my understanding 235K KM is pretty young for hondas.
Old 09-15-2014

KBB rates the car at 5400, which seems kind of inflated to me.
Is that Canadian dollars or US dollars? Not that it matters, just thinking that maybe the exchange rate might skew your results.

235K KM is pretty young for hondas.
All depends on how it was cared for....same as any other car.
My calculator says that's about 146,000 miles, and I'd certainly expect a lot more life should be left in it.
Old 09-16-2014
The Indomidable Spirit

Well the inspection came back pretty clean, one rear stabilizer is shot but that's not much to fix, other than that the clutch needs to be done but the owner works for a Bugatti dealership who will do it for him for 500$ so he'll take some out of the price for me.

The only concern was there is a very small amount of oil on the base of the engine, not enough to pool and even drip, just enough that it's sweating. The mechanic couldn't comment because it was so little oil, he said it could be as simple as an overfill, or a deeper problem.

Anyways we'll resolve the clutch issue and I think I'll take it, and hopefully my civic experience will be a good one. Certainly can't find better value for my money right now.
Old 09-16-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zotikos
Well the inspection came back pretty clean, one rear stabilizer is shot but that's not much to fix, other than that the clutch needs to be done but the owner works for a Bugatti dealership who will do it for him for 500$ so he'll take some out of the price for me.

The only concern was there is a very small amount of oil on the base of the engine, not enough to pool and even drip, just enough that it's sweating. The mechanic couldn't comment because it was so little oil, he said it could be as simple as an overfill, or a deeper problem.

Anyways we'll resolve the clutch issue and I think I'll take it, and hopefully my civic experience will be a good one. Certainly can't find better value for my money right now.

$2600 is that (E-tested and Certified) on the road ..?
Old 09-16-2014
The Indomidable Spirit

It'll be 3000, but his guy will replace the clutch for me before the sale. Given he works for the dealership he'd rather just have it done first. I'll get it inspected after the job of course.

It is certified road worthy. It was brought in from ontario to quebec last year, so they did the full safety inspection and e-test then.