8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Power Steering Pump

Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lewell is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering Pump

To Whom it May Concern,

When I moved here to Virginia less than one year ago, I needed to get a state inspection sticker for my 2006 Honda Civic Ex. I took it to a Meineke dealer and they told me that I needed a new power steering pump, since the original Honda pump was leaking. I had added a small amount of power steering fluid due to a slow leak, however, to get car to pass inspection, I had the pump replaced for $727. According to Meineke, the pump has a one year warranty and the labor is warrantied for 90 days.

This past weekend, the pump broke loose. I had the car towed to Priority Honda, and they told me that two bolts had broken off. They needed to be drilled out of the engine head. It seemed odd to me that two Honda bolts failed at the same time. It seemed that either it was not installed correctly, or that the original Honda bolts were defective. The Honda dealer (Priority) suggested that they bolts were perhaps over-torqued.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Lars Ewell
Old 09-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Steering Pump

Welcome to the forum

$727
Seems pretty steep IMO for just a pump job, but what do I know?

two bolts had broken off.
The pump is only held on by 2 bolts.

or that the original Honda bolts were defective.
Nope, they weren't a problem until some human touched them.

suggested that they bolts were perhaps over-torqued.
Or not tight enough. Either could cause breakage.

It seemed that either it was not installed correctly,
That'd be my guess.

Priority Honda
Maybe you should have gone there in the first place? Just a thought. Their 1 year P&L warranty would be more likely to cover a rookie breaking the bolts for you.

I'm thinking the last shop probably won't own it.
Old 09-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Remember that accidents/rookies can happen anytime, anywhere...however I'd like to think it's less likely at a dealership.

The dealership near me destroyed one of my friends right front -insert name of thing that lugnuts screw onto here- . She was in a for a tire rotation and somebody hit the lug with the impact gun before even tightening it by hand. Stripped all the threads off, they had to replace the whole thing, took them like a week and a half too.

I'm kinda getting worried, I'm seeing more and more posts about 2006 civics, think I'll be watching my wife's car very closely now lol.

So far the only major problem with it was the starter a few months back.
Old 09-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794
Remember that accidents/rookies can happen anytime, anywhere...however I'd like to think it's less likely at a dealership.
Here's a quote I saved, it came from another forum:

Almost everyone, except those of us who have worked at
dealerships, thinks that they hire, train and retain only
the best technicians.
They are no better or worse than independent
shops. If the manager and owner hire a bunch of clowns then
you end up with a three ring circus.

And I think I work in a Dilbert comic most days.

I know experienced techs that don't have any mechanical aptitude and pre teen girls that can rebuild a bicycle.

insert name of thing that lugnuts screw onto here- .
Stud?

She was in a for a tire rotation and somebody hit the lug with the impact gun before even tightening it by hand. Stripped all the threads off, they had to replace the whole thing, took them like a week and a half too.
I try to keep several in my toolbox because there is an endless supply of people that ruin them. I get some of them from old hubs when a wheel bearing gets replaced.