8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2010 Civic Hood Dull/Cracking Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RodneyBR is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 Civic Hood Dull/Cracking Paint

Hello,

I'm in Ontario, Canada and I bought a used 2010 Civic last week. It has gray paint (I believe it's the NH-701M - Galaxy Gray Metallic) and I just noticed how dull it is. The hood is really dull with some stops where the paint is coming off. I did some research and it seems that many have this dull/cracking paint issue.

I hear that there was a recall or extended warranty on the paint. When I bought the car I got their best 7 year bumper to bumper warranty w/roadside, but I'm not sure if that covers me or not. So I'm wondering if Honda repaint the affected areas? I just contacted Honda and I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks everyone.

Old 08-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 Civic Hood Dull/Cracking Paint

You need to visit a Honda dealer to determine if the paint issue may be covered.
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You need to visit a Honda dealer to determine if the paint issue may be covered.
Thanks. Yea, my dealer got back to me and said, "If this is a warrantable issue, service would know best. Would like me to have a appointment coordinator call you for an appointment to have this looked at?"

I since called Honda Canada and they believe that with only 52k KMs on this newer vehicle they would cover it in good faith. First though I have to book an appointment for an inspection at the dealer, then call Honda Canada back and go from there.
Old 08-30-2014
Registered!!

Went to Oshawa Whitby Honda where I purchased it for an inspection. They said it's not a warrantable issue and not their problem. Remember, I only bought this used vehicle a few days ago! They came up with a regular stealership song and dance! They mentioned maybe previous owner could have sanded it or something! Really, that's the best you can come up with! Then they mentioned it might have been in an accident! It wasn't in an accident, or at least according to CarProof records.

I spoke to the sales manger and he wasn't sympathetic. He mentioned that maybe he could offer a deal on detailing to bring the paint back!!! There's no bringing paint back if the clear coat is gone. When I left I told him is was very disappointed and how this hasn't been a happy experience. I mentioned they should fix at least the hood and top of truck in good faith, but I doubt they will do the honorable thing. I doubt they will.

Honda Canada has also refused to take any responsibility for the defective paint. I'm getting it inspected at another Honda dealer in hopes they might come up with a accurate determination on the paint.

I figured purchasing a used car from a recognized Honda dealer was a safe bet. It seems I was sadly mistaken!

I'll keep ya posted on how this goes... If no one at Honda will take responsibility on this well known paint issue I'm contacting OMVIC and a Lawyer. If you guys have any suggestions/recommendations on how I should move, please let me know.
Old 08-30-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and a Lawyer.
You didn't notice the paint condition prior to purchase?
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

No, probably because it was a dull, rainy day and they might have had it detailed as well, to lesson the paint issues. I test road it though and did a quick look at the major things you should be inspecting on a used car, but missed the paint on the roof! Only days after purchasing it I noticed the paint issues.

Either way, I feel like I've been taken and the dealer isn't willing to do anything at this point. No one wants to do the honorable thing, neither Honda Canada or the stealership. Sad world we live in these days. I have to say, this experience has turned me Honda as I expected more. It would be different if I purchased this from a shady car shop or privately.

I still have a few options... Going to another Honda dealer for an inspection and in turn they will contact Honda Canada and they'll make a decision. If that fails, I'll that report the dealer to TADA and OMVIC... then a lawyer or small claims court. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

You didn't notice the paint condition prior to purchase?

Last edited by RodneyBR; 09-03-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2014
Registered!!

Update... Went to another dealership, this time one with a body shop and the head guy there there said this is a well know issue. It has to do with the water paints used, factory humidity and drying times before the clear coat is applied. So, Honda Canada knows this is an issue, but is trying to dodge it. They sent Honda Canada 2 quotes, one for just the roof and truck and another for the entire car. All the paint on the car is dull and will eventually end up in the same condition as the roof and trunk.

Oh... I asked the body shop guy if the car was re-painted. He looked very closely at every panel and said without a doubt, absolutely not. I asked how does he know, and he pointed out that the original stickers are on all panels and there are zero signs of it being repainted. Remember, the dealer I purchased the car from said it was repainted. I guess they didn't want to take responsibility for it or they weren't qualified and just guessed!!!

I was told by the guy at the Honda body shop to have patience, but it really shouldn't be an issue getting it re-painted as it a common issue and covered under the extended Honda warranty. We'll see if Honda Canada does the honorable thing!
Old 09-07-2014

So, Honda Canada knows this is an issue, but is trying to dodge it.
I think your first dealer was trying to dodge it, not HC. HC can only go by what the dealer contact tells them. If that person is not well informed, then you may get what you got.

I know I do not deal with paint and bodywork at all, so whenever a question comes up I recommend trusted professionals.
Sounds like that's what you have now. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2014
Registered!!

Update... Honda Canada requested that I go back to the Honda body shop for paint thickness measurements. Reading were 4 for most of the vehicle and only 3.5 on the trunk. The guy their said this confirms that indeed it is original paint. He also mentioned that anything under 6 is original paint. We'll see what Honda Canada says!
Old 09-10-2014

I fail to understand why the first dealers service personnel would deny your issue, if in fact the issue should be covered by the warranty extension.
It's not like it would cost the dealer any money out of pocket...In fact they would probably make just a little off the repairs. SMH
Old 09-10-2014
Registered!!

Same here, but I figure it would mean admitting to selling me a used car with paint issues. It might look bad to Honda Canada as it was a certified Honda vehicle. Taking responsibility for issues like this isn't something many dealers are known for. Also, the fact that they didn't have anyone qualified to complete a detailed inspection is odd. They should have told me that they qualified to make a determination and go to another dealer who is. I'm very disappointed in the Honda dealer that sold me this car. I will be taking up this paint issue with them later, but first I have to go through Honda Canada.

I fail to understand why the first dealers service personnel would deny your issue, if in fact the issue should be covered by the warranty extension.
It's not like it would cost the dealer any money out of pocket...In fact they would make a little off the repairs. SMH

Last edited by RodneyBR; 09-10-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2014
Registered!!

Update... Honda Canada has initially refused to fix the paint, but I asked to have it escalated it to the next level. They're getting back to me within 72 hours. I don't expect much.
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Update... To make a long story short (believe me, it's been a journey!), the dealer did the honorable thing and bought back my used car. I ended up getting a new 2014 Honda Civic.

Old 09-27-2014

WOW! Congrats.

Did you get it from the first dealer, or the second dealer with the bodyshop?
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

WOW! Congrats.

Did you get it from the first dealer, or the second dealer with the bodyshop?
Thanks.

I reluctantly bought the new one from the first dealer. After speaking to the general manager there, she was very understanding about what happened. Also, they made it worth my time. I didn't really want a new car, but hey, sometimes we just have to roll with it! LOL