8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Oil and filter change

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil and filter change

I recently read an online recommendation from an automotive repair service out of baton rouge(agco corporation)that recommended the use of synthetic oil for all autos driven under severe driving conditions, which mine is ( less than 5 miles in stop and go traffic). While under normal driving conditions the reqired time for and oil changes using a synthetic is extended to 10,000 miles or more, it said that the oil should be changed every 3000 miles for my situation and that the filter should be changed even more often because the syn oil would remove so much crud that it would be overloaded. This of course would not only be an added expense but also more time and trouble.

What do you think?
Old 08-06-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil and filter change

When I was driving my civic I did around 5000 miles on dino oil. Now that I'm driving my Cruze I'm going 5000 on synthetic but that's because it's a turbo. I wouldn't hesitate going 7-8000 miles on an N/A engine with synthetic oil. But make sure you do a filter change halfway as they tend to plug.

P.S. my civic has 220,000 kms on the engine with no oil related engine failure or any sign of it. I still have the car but it's parked.
Old 08-06-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

With today's oil you can easily do 5k miles. I go around 6-7k for mine. Older oil filters could not go this long but today they make extended life filters to last as long as the synthetic oil. If your not driving that many miles a day then it would be best to go buy the monthly recommendations it could take someone a year to get to 5k miles if they don't drive often or very far.
Old 08-06-2014
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^No trust extended life filters... How do they extend the life by reducing filtration? lol
Old 08-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

What year is your civic? If it's after '06 then the car should be able to tell you when to change it, it does the oil life based on how you are driving(highway, stop and go, etc.)

It's actually quite noticeable, in my 2006 when I would just go to and from work, about 50% highway, 50% city 20 minute drive, it let me go about 5k before telling me to change it, but on my honeymoon where I drove across the country I drove 5.5k miles over 2 weeks, and already had 3k miles on the oil change, and it didn't tell me to change it until I hit a little over 9k since the last change.
Old 08-07-2014
Registered!!

Can the maintenance minder determine the amount of additional contaminants that build up in your oil sooner from the use of a pure synthetic due to its superior cleaning ability and therefore tell you that it has, say, only 20% of the life left in it where if you were using regular oil it might tell you that it had 40% left? By the way I have a 2008 lx.
Old 08-07-2014
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

I'd imagine no, however you could just make an assumption, such as that synthetic oil will take out twice as much contaminants, and change the oil every time you get to 50%(or a percentage of your choosing).
Old 08-08-2014
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I don't think it removes more dirt per say as it just doesn't break down as quickly and is able to lubricate longer and hold its viscosity longer.

Just use an oil that Honda recommends and change your oil when it tells you.
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

gothman667 is an unknown quantity at this point

Randomly entering this thread.

I'm going to be switching over to synthetic within the next day or so (Royal Purple + filter). As I was reading the comments, I was thinking if I would have to change my oil and filter on a regular basis after making the switch. Or at least the filter (due to possible clogging)?

If it helps any, I did buy a Royal Purple filter along with 5 quarts of SAE 5W20 for my '08 EX coupe. Should I be concerned about potential clogging with the Royal Purple filter or no?
Old 08-09-2014
Prelude Owner

IMO, no you won't have to worry about the filter clogging. Doesn't your 08 have a minder that tells you when to change it?

I have gone 7500 miles on a FRAM extra guard with Castrol Syntec.
Old 08-09-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

i use:
-Pennzoil Pure Plus 5w20 synthetic oil &
-Napa Gold oil filter
-Add a can of BG MOA

Civic idles smoother and Quiter than any other Civic on the Road. LoL
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

Rhonda1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think changing your oil at 3000miles is always best. I use 5w-30 conventional oil and filter is usually a K&N mostly because of the ease of getting a wrench on the end to take it off. Most oil bought now is all hype in the name. Havoline is the same as Valvoline. Synthetic is good o change over as long as you do it way before hitting 100,000 miles because of the wear pattern that is made by the piston. However, if you drive the car daily and it is not used for competition, I recommend sticking to the deals through the auto store in your local area. I recommend not swapping through different name brands but stick to one you trust.
Old 08-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sf3r8z
Can the maintenance minder determine the amount of additional contaminants that build up in your oil sooner from the use of a pure synthetic due to its superior cleaning ability and therefore tell you that it has, say, only 20% of the life left in it where if you were using regular oil it might tell you that it had 40% left? By the way I have a 2008 lx.
No, it cannot. The minder system is designed around a model, it has no way to tell what's actually in the engine.

The minder system relies on using products that meet all of Hondas specifications.

If you dump in the cheapest crap you can find at the nearest convenience store, the minder would have no way to know what you did, and probably let you go far too long on that oil.

If the correct spec oil is used, the system tends to be on the conservative side--from what I've heard. (oil could really stay in a lot longer than the minder says).
You'd have to have oil sample analysis done to know that for certain on your own car.

HTH
Old 08-12-2014
Registered!!

IN REPLY TO MY QUESTION REGARDING HOW FREQUENTLY TO CHANGE FILTER WHEN USING SYNTHETICS, THE OWNER OF AGCO AUTO REPLIED THAT IT IS ONLY NECESSARY TO CHANGE IT BETWEEN OIL CHANGES THE FIRST INTERVAL. FROM THEN ON THEY SHOULD BE CHANGED AT THE SAME TIME. FOR MORE INFO ON THIS AND OTHER SUBJECTS, GO TO agcoautomotive.com
Old 08-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

expensive oils and filters are a waste of money....all hype

the chances of an oil related failure in these engines is next to zero,

i have used quaker state standard 5w20 oil with fram filter since the day i bought the car brand new, my engine does not burn or leak one drop,

when i change my oil it is still at the full mark and relatively clean after 4-5,000 miles,

i cant imagine how much money i would have wasted over all these years if i bought into the expensive oil hype, save your money
Old 08-12-2014

Originally Posted by gothman667
Randomly entering this thread.

I'm going to be switching over to synthetic within the next day or so (Royal Purple + filter). As I was reading the comments, I was thinking if I would have to change my oil and filter on a regular basis after making the switch. Or at least the filter (due to possible clogging)?

If it helps any, I did buy a Royal Purple filter along with 5 quarts of SAE 5W20 for my '08 EX coupe. Should I be concerned about potential clogging with the Royal Purple filter or no?

unless your extending your oil change beyond 7.500 U.S. miles I don't
see any problem. each oil filter is different on the amount of particles it can hold. but usually the range is anywhere from 10 to 16 ounces of particles.

that Royal Purple is a great oil. are you using it to gain a little more power
or just for the protection on the engine.?
Old 08-17-2014
Whachya lookin at?

The best oil hands down is Amsoil. However it's expensive. Royal purple I find a little over hyped but it's still really good oil. A "BAD" oil nowadays is hard to come by because industry standards are pretty strict. I generally buy whatever is on sale at the time which is usually Castrol Syntec Edge or Mobil 1 from Canadian Tire. Although I do agree with mikey1 with how infrequent oil changes are nowadays (for some up to 1 yr). What's the difference between spending 20 to 40 dollars on oil? My suggestion is to get full synthetic and follow the minder.

If you get a decent sale here in Canada you can buy Mobil 1 for 29 dollars for 5 quarts. If that lasts you a year why not.
Old 09-01-2014
Registered!!

gothman667 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm mainly using it to get a little of both actually. My car had just hit 80K miles. And I'm looking at making the engine last as long as possible.
Old 09-01-2014

Originally Posted by gothman667
I'm mainly using it to get a little of both actually. My car had just hit 80K miles. And I'm looking at making the engine last as long as possible.
Royal purple is great oil to use no question there. if your thinking of
using it to extend oil changes.? at least use a synthetic media type oil filter
and change your "oil filter in-between at 4.000 u.s miles" before dumping the old oil and filter at 7.500 u.s miles.

my Preferance that i use is the new synthetic Pennzoil Pure Plus. wich is the latest and greatest refined oil from natural gas. its a cleaner refined oil going in the Civic I run a Wix Napa Gold oil filter and add a can of BG MOA
Old 09-01-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brags
my Preferance that i use is the new synthetic Pennzoil Pure Plus. wich is the latest and greatest refined oil from natural gas. its a cleaner refined oil going in the CivicI run a Wix Napa Gold oil filter and add a can of BG MOA
wow....sounds like your making chicken stew
Old 09-01-2014

LOL. Mickey1 not at all that BG additive can be mixed with any mineral
or synthetic oil. and actually turn the existing oil your using much better
at keeping the engine clean and protecting it.

do some research on BG MOA oil additive. and on the rest of there products.
Old 09-25-2014
Registered!!

105thunderchief is an unknown quantity at this point

First oil change by Dealer on my 2014 EX-L Honda Civic at 5,000 miles. They used Valvoline 0-20W semi-synthetic and Honda Filter. Maintenance Minder was at 30% remaining on oil. No issues to report. All Systems "Go".
Old 09-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 105thunderchief
First oil change by Dealer on my 2014 EX-L Honda Civic at 5,000 miles. They used Valvoline 0-20W semi-synthetic and Honda Filter. Maintenance Minder was at 30% remaining on oil. No issues to report. All Systems "Go".
do people really take their cars to dealers for oil changes?

i hate to even think about how much you paid for that
Old 09-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
do people really take their cars to dealers for oil changes?
Yes.
i hate to even think about how much you paid for that
FYI The price at our shop is a little below the local JizzyLube places.
Old 09-25-2014
Registered!!

Where I live the dealership charges 30$ for an oil and filter change, and their inspection.

Considering it costs me about 35$ to use the same stuff and do it myself, I don't really see the point in changing it myself.