8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

08 Civic And Lake-Sized Puddles

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anephric is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Civic And Lake-Sized Puddles

We got some bad downpour last night and I got stuck in it. I pulled over and waited for the storm to pass but on the way home, all the street lights were out (a lot of people lost power). It was so pitch black I couldn't tell the difference between the asphalt and the rain and I'm pretty sure the drains were overflowing. I ended up going through something larger than a puddle and smaller than Lake Ontario. It could've been two inches of water or eight (I drove past the spot this morning and the curb was about 4 1/2 inches high, so I don't think the water could go much higher?).

Anyway, I got through the water without the car stalling out but now I'm worried about water in the engine. I checked the oil this morning and it doesn't look thick or milky (actually, it looks like brand new oil after 1000 miles - very thin and tan-brown in color) and the car turns over fine. Drove to work (about 30 minutes) and didn't notice any problems either.

Is there anything I should be looking for in the coming days? Floor boards are dry, cabin filter is dry too.
Old 07-15-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 08 Civic And Lake-Sized Puddles

If nothing has gone wrong so far, you should be okay! Water in your intake would have been the biggest threat; if you had hydrolock, that is, water in the engine, you would have immediately noticed it (and had to call for a tow). Everything is going to be just fine!
Old 07-15-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

theres two ways to drive through pudles that high in water. the smart way is to slow right down so you don't create waives high enough for the engine
to injest water through the air intake and yes run a good risk of hydro locking the engine .

or the the dumb way I see sometimes of speeding drivers do.. and that is drive through tall water making big waives. and risking water injestion into the engine. in your case by the sounds of it You didn't do that. and neither did the engine stall out. so it would be safe to say that your ok.
Old 07-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

One time I drove across some water that was about 2 inches deep.
Even got out to check how deep it was first.
Little did I know about 5 feet in the road dipped down significantly.
Ended up driving through water that was up almost to the headlights.
She made it through, was quite terrifying though.
Luckily it was only about half a block across.
(2006 civic)
As everyone said though, if something were wrong you would know by now lol.