8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

New Civic Owner with questions

Old 04-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jordo487 is an unknown quantity at this point
New Civic Owner with questions

I just bought a 2011 Civic LX Automatic with 42,000 miles. I am loving it and seems to be a great car so far. I have a few starting questions though.

Anything I should check or change (besides oil, coolant, etc.)?

Besides oil, when do fluids need to be changed?

Suggestions for HID kit lights?

Suggestions for internal LED lighting?

Any other helpful, useful, (mild modding) tips or things I should be aware of I would appreciate it. I like to baby and take care of my vehicles.
Old 04-24-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Civic Owner with questions

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forums!

Originally Posted by Jordo487
Anything I should check or change (besides oil, coolant, etc.)?
Remember the timing belt every 100k miles or so. Your transmission has fluid too so make sure you change it every few years or so with Honda ATF.

Besides oil, when do fluids need to be changed?
Every few years is the key. If you need an idea, you could look up your vehicle's recommended maintenance intervals online if they didn't come with your car.

Suggestions for HID kit lights?
This You definitely want to upgrade to HID projectors. The Retrofit Source isn't cheap but they're the best option out there. There are plenty of people here who have done it, including myself. It's surprisingly easy to do and they really improve a vehicle's looks and its driver's visibility at night.

Suggestions for internal LED lighting?
IDK lol. Just search around on the forums!

Any other helpful, useful, (mild modding) tips or things I should be aware of I would appreciate it. I like to baby and take care of my vehicles.
A nice intake with a good filter will put a smile on your face! A new exhaust manifold and system would too. You won't get too much power from those mods though. I have heard that Civics really shine with good lowering springs, but I haven't gotten to hat point yet.

Happy modding! Post some pics of your car sometime!

Last edited by Poopies; 04-24-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Poopies, there are no timing belts on Civics anymore. 05 was the last year to use them.

OP, Welcome to the forum!
Read up on the "maintenance minder" system that car uses for maintenance. It's in your owners manual.

Oil changes can go anywhere from 4,000 to over 10k depending on how you drive. The system depends on the use oil that meets the proper specs.

Rotate tires regularly to maximize tread life. Many do this with every oil change, some go every other.

Air and cabin/HVAC filters every 25k or so when using the minder.
Plugs are 100,000 milers.

ATF we recommend every 30k or more often, regardless of what the minder says. Use the correct Honda fluid!

Brake fluid every 3 years,
Coolant every 5 or so (check your manual). Use the correct Honda fluid!

PS fluid if you want to, there is no interval spec for it. Use the correct Honda fluid!

Most of the rest is just inspect when serviced, and fix as necessary.

HTH
Old 04-24-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Poopies, there are no timing belts on Civics anymore. 05 was the last year to use them.
Damn, behind the times again!
Old 04-25-2014
Registered!!

Thank you for the information guys! I logged into the Honda website and registered my car and stuff and saw the maintenance minder for my car and I have never been so confused in my life. lol The whole A,B,C and 1,2,3 and no mention of mileage or anything. Is there an indicator on my dash that is suppose to come on for A or 2 or something like that. How does that work and how do I read it exactly?
Old 04-25-2014
Registered!!

OP, Welcome to the forum!
Read up on the "maintenance minder" system that car uses for maintenance. It's in your owners manual.

Oil changes can go anywhere from 4,000 to over 10k depending on how you drive. The system depends on the use oil that meets the proper specs.

Rotate tires regularly to maximize tread life. Many do this with every oil change, some go every other.

Air and cabin/HVAC filters every 25k or so when using the minder.
Plugs are 100,000 milers.

ATF we recommend every 30k or more often, regardless of what the minder says. Use the correct Honda fluid!

Brake fluid every 3 years,
Coolant every 5 or so (check your manual). Use the correct Honda fluid!

PS fluid if you want to, there is no interval spec for it. Use the correct Honda fluid!

Most of the rest is just inspect when serviced, and fix as necessary.

HTH

Thanks for all this information. Also, you work for Pueblo County Sheriff?
Old 04-25-2014
Super Moderator

Yeah, should be shown on your dash. Here's a similar list with mileages: http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...-30407-51649-0.

I don't think either of us work for the Sheriff. lol
Old 04-25-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When you reach your oil change interval, a wrench symbol appears along with this oil life reminder

It comes on at 15% to give you plenty of time to make an appointment.

It may or may not give the rest of the maint codes, or there may not be any. (I don't pay attention until I have to reset it LOL)

You can use the tripmeter button to find your oil life % at any time prior to this.

====================================

A and B are oil change or oil and filter change. (At my dealership we change the filter every time.)
1 is rotate tires
2 is filters, engine air and cabin/HVAC

The -35 indicates this person went past the 15% reminder and wrench symbol, ran the oil life number all the way past zero%, and now has gone 35 miles past the zero figure.

There isn't really set mileages for most of the intervals because they only appear with the oil change reminder AND the oil change reminder WILL vary depending on how you drive the car.
Old 04-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Yeah, should be shown on your dash. Here's a similar list with mileages: http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...-30407-51649-0.

I don't think either of us work for the Sheriff. lol

I asked because ezone's linkdin profile showed that he did.
Old 04-25-2014
Registered!!

When you reach your oil change interval, a wrench symbol appears along with this oil life reminder

It comes on at 15% to give you plenty of time to make an appointment.

It may or may not give the rest of the maint codes, or there may not be any. (I don't pay attention until I have to reset it LOL)

You can use the tripmeter button to find your oil life % at any time prior to this.

====================================

A and B are oil change or oil and filter change. (At my dealership we change the filter every time.)
1 is rotate tires
2 is filters, engine air and cabin/HVAC

The -35 indicates this person went past the 15% reminder and wrench symbol, ran the oil life number all the way past zero%, and now has gone 35 miles past the zero figure.

There isn't really set mileages for most of the intervals because they only appear with the oil change reminder AND the oil change reminder WILL vary depending on how you drive the car.

Oh ok, this makes sense and explains a lot! So when A, comes on, do A, when it shows a 3, do 3, etc. Essentially just do what it tells me to do and it will stay in good shape. :-P
Old 04-26-2014

I asked because ezone's linkdin profile showed that he did.
Got a link? You know, for the hell of it.

If you read all the IDs I stuck to those, you should be able to tell none are real.

Oh ok, this makes sense and explains a lot! So when A, comes on, do A, when it shows a 3, do 3, etc. Essentially just do what it tells me to do and it will stay in good shape. :-P
Caveat: The system cannot tell what is actually happening with the car.

Or, you know, you can blindly follow instructions.

Everything the minder suggests is based on a model. They cannot account for....(examples) driving in a sandstorm, using inferior quality oil, oil leaks, tire tread being BALD, brakes shot, etc... Everything (should be) human inspected and a decision made........

Time based services: Oil changes, they want changes once per year even if there isn't enough miles to trip the minder system.
Other stuff like brake fluid, every 3 years.
See your manual.

Keep accurate records of everything you do and/or have done. Many things may be recommended/urged/DIRE EMERGENCY LIFE AND DEATH/hard sell/upsell regardless of actual condition. Many times we cannot tell if a service has been completed recently. YOUR records need to be kept up and checked.

HTH
Old 04-29-2014
Registered!!

Got a link? You know, for the hell of it.

If you read all the IDs I stuck to those, you should be able to tell none are real.

Caveat: The system cannot tell what is actually happening with the car.

Or, you know, you can blindly follow instructions.

Everything the minder suggests is based on a model. They cannot account for....(examples) driving in a sandstorm, using inferior quality oil, oil leaks, tire tread being BALD, brakes shot, etc... Everything (should be) human inspected and a decision made........

Time based services: Oil changes, they want changes once per year even if there isn't enough miles to trip the minder system.
Other stuff like brake fluid, every 3 years.
See your manual.

Keep accurate records of everything you do and/or have done. Many things may be recommended/urged/DIRE EMERGENCY LIFE AND DEATH/hard sell/upsell regardless of actual condition. Many times we cannot tell if a service has been completed recently. YOUR records need to be kept up and checked.

HTH

I figured the car wasn't going to know all, just didn't know if it would suggest A at so many miles, then B at so many miles, etc... I realize I need to be checking and paying attention to all these things, just didn't know if there were certain mileage times when things needed to be checked, like changing brake fluid about every 3 years.

For the link, I clicked on the linkedin icon under your name, which then directs me to the following.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/OMGWTFBBQ
Old 04-29-2014
Super Moderator

For the link, I clicked on the linkedin icon under your name
Ha, I didn't think anyone clicked on those things! Nice!