8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

8th Gen Civic LX -- Remote Starter

Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LucasV is an unknown quantity at this point
8th Gen Civic LX -- Remote Starter

I've been looking at purchasing a remote start for my Civic. I've been looking at Viper, but they all have integrated keyless. I don't want to screw with the OEM keyless setup, and strictly want remote start only!

That said, what would you recommend?

I've been looking at Bulldog, which like Viper, has a lifetime warranty. Not to mention, they offer a strictly remote start setup.

Amazon.com: Bulldog Security RS83B Remote Starter with Built-in Bypass Module: Automotive Amazon.com: Bulldog Security RS83B Remote Starter with Built-in Bypass Module: Automotive

What do you think? The reviews I've read are slightly more positive, than negative, and I realize most people only take the time to write a negative review.
Old 01-06-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 8th Gen Civic LX -- Remote Starter

most mechanics I Listen too, say there a headach to have. and
don't recommend one.
Old 01-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a couple on my own cars in the past (they were removed from other cars), and I have a Honda Accessory remote start on my 12. No problems in my own cars, and I do all my own installations.

I hate trying to diagnose certain problems where aftermarket remote start and/or alarms are involved (read: possible cause), especially one that was poorly installed and has no documentation. "Return to your installer."

A well installed unit isn't too bad most of the time, but finding someone that will take the time to do better than string up wires connected by vampire clips and make all connections great can be tough.

JMO

Handy pic of a vampire clip:

Care to guess why that name?
Old 01-06-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Remote starts are great! Botched/improper installation is the problem.

Avital makes a remote start that you can integrate into your OE remote. I will be using this for my wife's TL.

I use DEI brand products (Viper, Clifford, Python...). Python is what's on my civic. Xpresskit also makes bypass modules that you don't need to use a key.

I hate those vampire clips (answer: they suck). Solder or crimp wires, I'm partial to solder.

Last edited by GolNat; 01-06-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
Remote starts are great!
It's about -10*F here and I gotta go to work in the AM. Expecting about -15F by then.
Damn straight I'm gonna use remote start.....if the battery agrees.

(answer: they suck).
YOU win the prize!

Solder or crimp wires, I'm partial to solder.
Ditto this.

Old 01-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LucasV is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm probably going to order the remote start kit I posted in my first post. That said, people around here are ridiculous with their pricing. The lowest I've found thus far is Best Buy at $119.99, and I haven't heard much about their work. I called two local stereo installers and one quoted $199.99, and the other $380!? (I'm hoping he misunderstood my original question, but I'm not even willing to call back.)

I'll keep looking around.