8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Poor Gas Mileage in 09 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
castigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor Gas Mileage in 09 Civic

I have just purchased a used 09 Civic. Auto transmission, 34K miles, good shape. This vehicle is supposed to be rated at 38mpg, but the best so far has been 31. I am a good driver and don't "gun it". 80% or more of my miles are highway miles.
I expect much more mpg out of this car than what I'm getting. I am hoping you all can help me find how to get more like 34mpg, which is what my 14-year-old Toyota got. I like this car but am pissed off that I only get 31 mpg.
Please help?
Old 11-30-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Poor Gas Mileage in 09 Civic

What trim level is your car? I.e. DX, LX, EX? My '03 EX is lucky if it crosses 32mpg these days. We had a good discussion about that here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nce-i-saw.html

It also depends on where you live (my mileage dropped since I moved up from AZ to WA) and the season. Since it's winter, the fuel sold at a lot of gas stations has more ethanol in it. This lowers the freezing temperature but also fuel efficiency. I read that in the same thread:
Originally Posted by noJeepshere
I'm getting 36 in mixed (mostly freeway though) driving, and as I just bought this car I'll have to clean the throttle body and see I get an improvement. The type of fuel you use makes a big difference in economy. If the fuel you use has ethanol (like most of Washington's stations have) your economy will suffer because of it. I use a website puregas.org to find stations that sell ethanol free gas. It'll be worth it. I noticed a 1.5 mpg difference in my Yukon, which going from 15 to 16.5 was a big jump!
This should go without asking but you're on top of ALL your maintenance items, right? At only 34k you shouldn't have too many issues. The tire pressure and tread are good?

Last edited by Poopies; 11-30-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I should whine about my mileage too.

Mine is rated at something like 29/39 and right now as of today my mileage is at 24.2 MPG.

At least I know why.
Old 11-30-2013
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
my mileage is at 24.2 MPG.
Sub-25? Bummer! I'll bet Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez got better gas mileage in theirs :-P
Old 11-30-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poopies
Sub-25? Bummer!
Like I said, I can't complain because I know exactly why my mileage is what it is.

I'll bet Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez got better gas mileage in theirs :-P
Sorry, not a movie buff.
AADD won't let me sit through a whole TV show, let alone a movie.

Some days I really have the attention span of a commercial and the memory of a goldfish.

/look, a squirrel!
Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

desmo888 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's your tire pressure? Try to ride a bike with a half-flat tire, and see how much more effort you need to pedal it along. Stock is something like 32 psi (cold) all around. I have a manual transmissioned LX (but I think the autobox is actually rated at slightly better mileage), but I average about 36-37 mpg on mostly highway miles. On the open highway, I can get up to 42 mpg. I bump up my tire pressures to 42 psi, though. The ride is only slightly harsher, and no funny treadwear issues with the tires. My '08 has about 75K miles on it, so my data set is pretty solid.

With such a new car with so few miles on it such as yours, there are other less common reasons: dirty injectors, dirty MAF, super dirty air filter cleaner, clogged fuel filter.

In general, I think a heavy right foot is the main reason for fuel mileage. But you indicate that's not the case with you.
Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point

I should whine about my mileage too.

Mine is rated at something like 29/39 and right now as of today my mileage is at 24.2 MPG.

At least I know why.
^^^Please share.

Here's my story: My '10 EX automatic gets around 24.5 MPG overall. But it's primarily an in-town grocery-getter in a hilly environment. The freeway legs are infrequent, and are no more than around 10 mi. long... barely enough to warm up the little beast.
Old 11-30-2013

Originally Posted by eastsider
^^^Please share.
18" wheels with non-ecofriendly tires
freekin cold here (JMO)
remote start if it's much below freezing because I'm a wuss (major fuel sucker)
winter fuel blend
ethanol fuel (year round)
5.6 miles each way to work and back
Stop and go traffic
Maybe more.....

If I put the OE Fuel Fighter tires back on and drive it JUST the right way on the highway for an hour, I can get over 50 MPG to show in the iMID display (or close to it). I used to do this on the trip to my sisters old house when I wasn't in a hurry.
Real steady 45-50 MPH will net some dang good gas mileage....Until I reach a town and have to slow/stop/maneuver in traffic.

12 LX Sedan
Old 12-01-2013
Registered!!

desmo888 is an unknown quantity at this point

ethanol fuel (year round)
Yes, one of the dirty little secrets about our "green" ethanol. Mileage actually worsens with it. I also live in a state with mandatory year-round 10% EtOH in all gas (unless you buy it from a marina, airport, or race track). Shouldn't be an issue in the OP's case, but FWIW.
Old 12-01-2013
Registered!!

eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point

another FWIW: list of ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Edit: then again, ethanol-free gas is not Top Tier (TT calls for a certain ethanol content), and Honda only recommends TT

Last edited by eastsider; 12-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2013
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to all just joined the forum after I bought a 2008 Civic 118,000kms
5 speed. Love the car drives like magic very crisp, and smooth. and starts up
on a 1st try. maybe I can shed some light on the poor fuel economy issue.

fuel economy issues can be anything from lazy o2 sensors, coolant sensore or the need for a good engine de-carbonizing cleaning. this method cleans up injectors and the lungs of an engine being the intake manifold. I would
1st try running a concentrated fuel cleaner like BG 44k" in the tank. its what

I use and works awesome at cleaning up injectors and the back of intake
valves. give it shot and post back .?
Old 12-05-2013
Registered!!

Thank you all for the replies. I believe my car is an LX, but not sure how to tell? There are no letters on the back of the vehicle, and the owner's manual doesn't say. I'm currently trying premium gas to see what kind of mpg impact that makes (since I haven't had time lately to get it to a shop or do any of your recommended maintenance). Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-05-2013
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by castigo
Thank you all for the replies. I believe my car is an LX, but not sure how to tell?
The easiest way to tell an EX is the moonroof and power EVERYTHING. The DX should have manual locks and windows. The LX falls in between, with no moonroof but power locks/windows.

Here's a discussion on that:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic...fferences.html
Old 12-05-2013
Registered!!

G_ROBB89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '04 Ex and average 40+ mpg "city", but I rarely stop at stop signs unless I have to and CARRY NOTHING in the trunk or back seats. I actually get worse mileage on the highway if I travel above 60 mph, that may be an issue with yours. If you want the best gas mileage don't drive with your lights on all the time or air conditioning/heat. The more demand you put on the battery the less fuel efficient. ALSO, last time I filled my Honda I noticed I only got 38 mpg, and it was because I had my dial set to air conditioning even though the fan wasn't on. I learned it was because even if you don't have the fan on the compressor is still running, even if it isn't blowing air, which can hurt gas mileage. I hope I helped, don't lose hope yet, and everybody else posted helpful things to.

Old 12-05-2013

Originally Posted by castigo
Thank you all for the replies. I believe my car is an LX, but not sure how to tell?
Enter your VIN into a real parts catalog, see what it tells you.

I'm currently trying premium gas to see what kind of mpg impact that makes
Don't do that. Stick to the recommended 87 octane (unless you have an Si with the 2.0 Liter engine).
It won't (shouldn't) gain you any mileage, and it can make the car harder to start. Even if you gain any mileage (doubt it) the gain won't be enough to justify the cost difference.

Originally Posted by Poopies
The DX should have manual locks and windows.
Check a parts catalog: All Civics since 2006 m.y. have power windows. All versions.
(I recently heard that Honda doesn't offer manual windows at all. Cost cutting measure. Not sure about other countries/markets though.)

USA: DX and VP don't have power locks though, that's right.

Originally Posted by G_ROBB89
because even if you don't have the fan on the compressor is still running, even if it isn't blowing air,
Your claim as stated is incorrect.

If your compressor is engaged without the interior blower fan operating, it is broken.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 12-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2013
Super Moderator

All Civics since 2006 m.y. have power windows. All versions.
Ah, my mistake! My phone sucks at cross-referencing websites! :-/
Old 12-14-2013
Registered!!

Yes, it is an LX, and correct, the Premium gas made zero difference whatsoever.
Old 12-25-2013

31.0 MPG @ 80 MPH

Just did a run @ 70-80 MPH (mostly 75-80), little traffic so almost no windblocks, ~130 mi each way,
31.2 MPG overall at those speeds.

Started going up as I slowed down.