8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

New for 2014 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
New for 2014 Civic

Just a few new things for 2014

Red is C&P from todays messages:

"The new 2014 Civic will go on sale in December and we wanted to share with you some of the new features. Since this is a rolling release not all trim levels will be available at the on sale date."

New CVT %u2013 The 14MY Civic 5-speed automatic transmission will be replaced with an all-new second generation Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) in both the Coupe and Sedan (except Civic Natural Gas); the Civic Hybrid retains its current CVT. The new CVT enhances responsiveness by providing quicker and smoother acceleration and improves fuel efficiency with a 22 percent wider ratio range and reduced internal friction. Use only Honda Genuine HCF-2 transmission fluid (P/N 08200-HCF2) in this new CVT. It%u2019s yellow and is specially formulated for these newly designed transmissions.

(I think this CVT will be like the CVT in the new 2.4 Accords, it should feel a whole lot better than the old CVT with a start clutch.)

TPMS will be indirect reading, using the ABS/VSA sensors. Same as 13-14 Accords and 14 CRV

18" accessory wheels available (Systems must be recalibrated with the HDS tool when changing wheel size)
(Has notes about width limitations)

EX, EX-L, Si, Hybrid, NGV:
One Push Start button,
Lane Watch (Camera mounted in the right mirror for right side blind spot),
Certain Smart Phones able to display on the vehicle screen (???)

Old 11-27-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New for 2014 Civic

TPMS will be indirect reading, using the ABS/VSA sensors. Same as 13-14 Accords and 14 CRV

??? Can you decipher this ^^

Pretty wild all these changes coming to the Civic AFTER the 9th gen change.... certainly not the norm but pretty awesome for those in the market
Old 11-27-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It uses inputs form those systems to judge tire pressure.

Wheel speed and the "cluster sensor" (YAW, G, Lateral -- used in Vehicle Stability Assist), ambient temp, etc. It compares wheel revolutions and watches how the car leans.

It's now using sensors that were already in place, no more individual tire pressure sensors.

Also, I'm not a big fan of it yet.
We can't out-think it for upcoming cold weather.
It's finicky.
And it can be dang sensitive, it knows if the tires got rotated and you forgot to do the reset procedure.
Old 11-28-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

which means recalibrating the system if tire OD is changed, i bet
Old 11-28-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a pretty complex system... but what is not these days.
Old 11-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It's good Honda is adding the stuff that people want like push button and lane monitoring. I'm not fan of it but they need to keep up with the times.
Old 11-28-2013

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
which means recalibrating the system if tire OD is changed, i bet
There is a process to allow for wheel size changes, that's the programming with the scanner part. Think about how far the car would lean on a flat 15" tire, vs how far it would lean on a flat.... say an 18" low profile tire. HUGE difference. This is one aspect that the system looks at when determining tire pressure problems.

Whenever someone does anything to the tires themselves, including simple regular pressure checks and adjustments or tire rotations, the system must be "calibrated" by the user so it can "learn" the tire profiles. (hit the reset function, wherever they hid that)
When the system was first dropped on out heads, there was very little info about how it worked, good factual info was slow to come to us that neeeeeeed to know more about it than what was offered. We (meaning *I*) have had to sort of experiment and figure out a few things on my own, like if you air the tires high in anticipation of approaching cold weather and do the sys calibration--the system ASSUMES the tires are at cold spec 32PSI or whatever the door sticker says (because that's the only condition anyone ever sets tire pressure, right?). It does not know and therefore cannot account for true tire pressure, it can't account for the fact that when we get the car in the shop all of the tires are HOT, and
...... it apparently doesn't allow one to simply push the button to reset after the system saw a problem. It must see some sort of change was made or else it will turn the light on again shortly..

Pushing the button isn't so simple either. You are supposed to be on a flat surface, not moving, steering straight, tires aired to spec, blablabla etc.
Push the button and hold until the idiot light flashes on the dash (3 sec or so). Sit there and look pretty. Stare at where that light should be. Keep staring.
Wait about one full minute until the light flashes again, the initial process is not complete and the learning portion begins. It could take 30-60 miles for the system to completely learn the tire profiles as the customer drives it daily----but it will still know and alert if you have a flat tire even if this process has not yet completed.

I guess I should wait to see if these gripes really will apply to Civics as it does to the other cars at this time.
Originally Posted by GolNat
It's good Honda is adding the stuff that people want like push button and lane monitoring. I'm not fan of it but they need to keep up with the times.
Got people bitching in another forum that the new Siri update for Accords doesn't apply to Civics. Waaaah.

I'm from the days before all these modern NANNY cars. If you couldn't learn how to actually drive and control the machine, you bite the big one and there was no one to blame but yourself.

Now they put in radios that need a complete manual of their own, and are more distracting than trying to read War And Peace in text on your phone while driving.
People can't even operate the HVAC controls in some of these cars without pulling over.

Now we have people that are literally trapped inside the cars if the power locks quit (THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS). They need to just perish while trapped inside the cars if that's the case. JMO.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1458& transactionid=1385681632-98214246123&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=kZjEbvqkxqU[/autostream]

^^^^This may as well be a documentary.
Old 11-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ that's pretty bad. Producing offspring would be bad.

I don't mind new technology like Bluetooth as I am up to date with newer technologies and gadgets as long as the car still has a feeling of driving behind it. I enjoy the driving experience so as long as Honda holds onto that then I will be happy. I do enjoy simple climate controls (with *****) and radio controls.

Someday cars will drive themselves and people will just sit in them and ride. That's a sad time.
Old 11-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Now we have people that are literally trapped inside the cars if the power locks quit (THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS). They need to just perish while trapped inside the cars if that's the case. JMO.

^^^^This may as well be a documentary.
Originally Posted by GolNat
^ that's pretty bad. Producing offspring would be bad.