8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 Honda Civic ( trouble starting )

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013
j_hondagirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j_hondagirl is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Honda Civic ( trouble starting )

Alright for the past few weeks I have been noticing that my car struggles to turn on. I noticed the check engine light was on. So i did a diagnostic check on it right away. Checked the code. It ended up being the coolant sensor. Changed that the next day. Couple days later as I'm driving the battery light comes on. I get to work. Check out my battery, make sure all the cables are in place. All good. I check the battery out (i work at a school so our auto shop teacher lets us uses the tools) the charge is catching. Couldnt figure what was going on, bc after that the battery light goes away. Following week i go to the store, my car doesnt want to turn on. Now when I turned it over not even the clicking sound came on. I tried a few more times and finally it started. It didnt do that for a while. Until today when i went to put gas.. my car didnt wanna start again. So Im assuming its either the starter or alternator..

Bc if it was the alternator none of the lights would have came on but everything was still working. So I'm leaning more towards the starter..

But my question is.. what do you guys think? im like running out of ideas of what could be wrong..

Also I have been using my valet key here and there bc my key broke. Im gonna replace it within this week. Could that be an issue as well?
Old 11-03-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Honda Civic ( trouble starting )

Couple days later as I'm driving the battery light comes on.
This light normally means the alternator stopped charging.

my car doesnt want to turn on. Now when I turned it over not even the clicking sound came on.
Any other clues? Did the gauges all go black as in dead battery, or did they stay lit?

Is the battery just weak/dead?
Is the battery bad?
Is the alternator charging the battery when the engine is running?
Bad connection?(battery neg cable bolts to the body, that's a good place for a bad connection. Rust.)

Your school has an auto shop, have them check?

my valet key here and there bc my key broke. Im gonna replace it within this week. Could that be an issue as well?
Only if the green key light is flashing angrily while you are trying to crank it.