8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

New 2011 LX owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EarleD is an unknown quantity at this point
New 2011 LX owner

Hi everyone. I just bought a white 2011 Civic LX with 25000 miles.

I have had it a week now and almost thru my first tank of gas. Much better than my old Santa Fe with a V6. I drive 38 miles to work one way. I don't think I'm getting 35 mpg but I tend to have a lead foot. I am trying to keep it at less than 70mph. I need to go thru a few tanks to get a true idea of what the mpg are.

It is definitely a nice commuter car. It's not as nice inside as my Santa Fe or my ex wife Sonata LX, but it gets the job done. The auto trans seems pretty smooth. I hate the steel wheels with plastic hubcaps, but that can be changed easily in the future, then I have a set of wheels for snow tires. The trunk is huge and will be great for trips with my kids.

I have always been a change the oil at 3000 miles guy, so going so long between changes is different. I will go the dealer for my oil changes, don't want any problems with crap oil being used or idiots who don't care about my car.

I figure I will check the oil weekly for a couple of months to make sure there are n0 problems with it.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for? I want this car to last a long time.

Thanks

Ty
Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Re: New 2011 LX owner

Oh yeah, 1 more question. How do I check chassis code
Old 09-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The trunk is huge and will be great for trips with my kids.
There's no seat belts for kids in the trunk, and there's an emergency release back there. They might escape.

oil at 3000 miles guy, so going so long between changes is different.
I see the maintenance minder allow anywhere from 4000 to as much as 12,000 miles on an oil change, depending on how the car is driven.
I figure I will check the oil weekly for a couple of months to make sure there are n0 problems with it.
This.
I'd check the oil level after every few tanks of gas for the rest of its life though. Most cars use oil faster as they age, and if (God forbid) you ever develop a leak, this might be the only way the average driver would ever realize there is a problem. (Wait, average drivers might let the engine run dry.)

don't want any problems with crap oil being used or idiots who don't care about my car.
Dealers are free to employ both of the above. "Mediocre" isn't exclusive.

Do your homework LOL (srsly).

Anything else I should keep an eye out for?
The rest of the minder items. These pop up the code for filters around 25k.

I'd recommend drain and fill on the ATF every 30k-- or sooner. (Honda hasn't had a stellar track record on automatic transmissions in the past, every little extra bit can help here IMO.) I was changing the ATF in my moms 02 Accord at every other oil change.

How do I check chassis code
What's that mean?
Body electronics trouble codes?
VIN?

There is a chassis number behind a cover in the wiper cowl panel. (I have never ever needed that number though.)

Part #15 is the access cover, it slides to the side and there should be a number stamped behind there somewhere.
Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EarleD
Anything else I should keep an eye out for?
If your car came with Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 tires as stock, you may want to consider getting your winter tires sooner rather than later. I got my certified 2010 EX last winter, and found the stock Turanzas to be lacking in ice traction and wet traction. (I can't comment about snow performance, since we didn't get any here after I got my Civic.) Just something to watch out for if you've got the Turanzas.

Last edited by eastsider; 09-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not a car guy,but want to learn to do basic maintenance myself..

I just want to confirm that I have a R18 engine, correct?
Old 09-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

want to learn to do basic maintenance myself..
How many miles are on the car?
I just want to confirm that I have a R18 engine, correct?
If it is a North American market car, then yes it's an R18.
Old 09-18-2013
Registered!!

car has 25000 mile. I plan on using mobile 1 5/20 synthetic with mobile 1 filter. Changed every 7500 miles

I will use Honda auto transmission fluid every 3rd oil change

Air/cabin filters as needed(10000 miles)
Old 09-18-2013

Air/cabin filters as needed(10000 miles)
The rest is good, but 10k might be overkill on the filters unless you drive in an extremely dirty/dusty environment (or near forest fires?).

I'd certainly inspect them before spending money. It's super easy to pop them out and look.
Old 09-26-2013
Registered!!

OK everyone. Had the car for a couple of weeks now. Everything is going great no problems at all. I seem to be averaging about 350-370 mile per tank. Im happy with gas mileage.

I got oem Honda floor mats as the car didn't come with mats. Nice mats. they fit perfect and protect the carpets completely. I go a set of side window visors. Looks sharp on car. Tint is coming next. Probably go 20% on the back and 35% up front.

I really want to get the oil and AT fluid changed as I don't know what was used last time. This way I know when and what was used.
Old 06-26-2014
Registered!!

Ok. Here's an update on my Civic.

Have 48000 miles on the car know, I drive alot for work. I am continuing to follow the MM for oil changes. I found a great mechanic who will change oil and filter with oil I bring to him. Mobile 1 5/20 weight and a mobile 1 filter. Did my 2nd transmission drain and fill at 47500 miles.

Car is running great. No problems other than front brakes being replaced(pads and rotors). My fault on the rotors, heard the sqweak of the brakes but pushed them too long.

Old 06-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-tech is an unknown quantity at this point

hey dude how do you get 350-370 miles a tank? do you refuel when the light comes on or when there no bars left on the fuel gauge?

I ask because i bought my self a 2011 civic lx 2 month ago and i only get 280ish miles, but i refuel as soon as the light comes on. by the way i love how this lil car drives, the only thing i wish it had a bigger fuel tank