Rear Control arms, rear tire wear early models the early models had an issue with the rear control arms (upper) and have a tendency of rapid rear tire wear

Need New Tires + Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Need New Tires + Alignment

So turns out during my 6000+ mile trip for my honeymoon, my alignment got so out of wack that my back right tire won't pass inspection, despite only having 10,000 miles on it.
The other 3 will, but not by much and all have un-even wear...

Should I go with the tires Honda has to offer me, or should I look online/elsewhere?
What would be a fair price to pay for the tires and alignment? I'm looking to get some higher-end tires to hopefully last quite a while, but don't need anything sporty, just regular driving and maybe fuel efficient tires.

I'm hoping to spend 700$ or less altogether, but could go higher if needed.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Will post the tire specifications in the next two hours or so.
Old 06-24-2013
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Need New Tires + Alignment

Tires that are currently on the tires have all this on them:
M+S 225/40ZR18 92W
Treadwear 400 Traction AA Temperature A
DOT PJ5N JB1R 3509
Old 06-24-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Where do you live that your tires have to pass an inspection? For the alignment I always get Tires Plus 3 yr or lifetime unlimited. That way you can get them aligned any time you want. I go 3 times a year or so just for the heck of it. I hate Tires Plus in general but I just say no when they try to sell me other stuff
Old 06-26-2013
Registered!!

I live in Virginia, and it looks like I'll have to just go with what Honda has, because my inspection is up in 4 days.
Old 06-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The rear upper control arm issues are now under a short warranty extension in the USA (maybe others, IDK).

Bulletin #13-047 for 06-07 (regular) Civic and 06-08 Civic Hybrid, must have VIN check to see if valid for each car. See your dealer for details and VIN check.

Or contact customer assistance.

I couldn't locate a web link yet during a brief search either.

Only applies to unmodified suspensions (you may want to put the stock wheels back on for a minute).

The 225-40-18 on my car are Michelins and came from Tire Rack.
I don't think Honda used that size as OE on any stock cars at all.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 06-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2013
Registered!!

I've already gone through the upper control arm issues...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ve-camber.html

I am going to be able to get the tires, but they have to order them so I won't get them until Monday(the day after my inspection is up)
But, from what I understand of the law, I am allowed to drive without an up-to-date inspection, so long as I am going to the place to get inspected...

I'm going with Khumos(spell check?), guy said it's the most durable they have to offer for my tire size, said they only carry sports tires for my rim size, so no comfort ride, low rolling resistance, etc.

Bummer, was kinda hoping to get some more fuel efficient tires, but oh well.

Said the tires are 150$ a piece, I have a coupon for alignment for 80$, guess I'll take that in too(If the coupon is 80$, how much does an alignment cost without it?)

There wouldn't be any chance that the control arm issue was not corrected with them being replaced, is there?
I've always had the road noise, but that's because the tire was already messed up before they fixed it, when I got the new rims and tires I noticed the noise go away, of course now there is noise but that is hopefully from the fact that my back right has literally no tread on it(flat all the way across, how does that even happen???)
Old 06-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794
I've already gone through the upper control arm issues... https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ve-camber.html
I found one of my edited posts that said only *! and /filter... LOL
I am going to be able to get the tires, but they have to order them so I won't get them until Monday(the day after my inspection is up) But, from what I understand of the law, I am allowed to drive without an up-to-date inspection, so long as I am going to the place to get inspected...
Never important unless you get caught, right?
they only carry sports tires for my rim size, so no comfort ride, low rolling resistance, etc. Bummer, was kinda hoping to get some more fuel efficient tires, but oh well.
I believe sdaidoji said the real low profile tires generally are high performance tires and you will have a hard time finding low rolling resistance and fuel economy tires in that range.

And you ain't gonna get any comfy ride on 40 series and 18s anyway. You lost the sidewall, and that's a big part of the shock absorbing function.
(If the coupon is 80$, how much does an alignment cost without it?)
$80. A coupon is not always a discount. It merely addresses the discount price shopper mentality.

I've seen a local place that has 89.95 or something on all alignments....but if you have a 10 McDoubles off coupon then the price starts at 99.95 so they still get their 89.95.. Make sense? LOL
There wouldn't be any chance that the control arm issue was not corrected with them being replaced, is there?
Climb under there and look for the letter C on the rear upper arms. It could be in white paint, or it could be actually stamped like a part number. And hope it was aligned correctly after the arms went on...The toe changes a LOT with the new arms.
The new arms only reduce the tendency to chop the tread, they can't eliminate it. JMO.
(flat all the way across, how does that even happen???)
Tough to say without knowing a whole lot more about the situation.