8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Odd sound associated with large dips in road

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Odd sound associated with large dips in road

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Lx Sedan.
I recently upgraded my stock wheels to 18" HFP wheels.
Ever since, whenever I hit a large dip in the road, especially if I have several people in the car, I hear an odd noise coming from the front wheels.
I suspect that the new wheels are larger, and that they are now hitting the inside of the fender when I hit these large dips.

Is this something that is terribly bad for the wheels/suspension?

What would be the best course of action to remedy this, is there a way to stiffen, or raise the stock suspension? Should I just get a new suspension, maybe lower it but also stiffen it?

Is there simply a way to make the suspension stop just before the wheels hit the inside of the fender?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Odd sound associated with large dips in road

I suspect that the new wheels are larger,
I think the HFP wheels for that car should not have any clearance issue, unless you got some wrong sized tires.

Post the tire size?
Should be 215-40-18 according to the catalog.

and that they are now hitting the inside of the fender when I hit these large dips.
You should be able to see evidence of rubbing if that was the case.

Got the splashguards? Are they all tight?

Put the original tires back on and try the same drive with the car full of people. Still makes noise?
Old 05-11-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Check the max load for the car, and check the weight of your passengers. It is surprisingly easy to overload the car with ...people.
Old 05-11-2013
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Well I've heard the sound before, with the stock wheels, but it had to be an exceptionally large dip, with the new tires I still have to hit a large dip, but it happens easier/more often.

Same people in the car, I'm certain I'm at or just over the limit for the car, myself and 4 people included is probably about 700 pounds...plus about 50-60 pounds of subwoofer box in the trunk.

I'll check tomorrow what the size of tires are on the wheels, as well as check for signs of the suspected rubbing. I do remember the person who sold me the tires and rims that the tires were low profile.

If it helps, here is a picture of the old wheels vs new wheels.

Old 05-11-2013

here is a picture of the old wheels vs new wheels
They look pretty darn close to the original overall diameter. Probably not a rub issue.

I've heard the sound before, with the stock wheels,
Pretty much eliminates the new wheels as a cause IMO.
I'm certain I'm at or just over the limit for the car
Bottoming out the suspension.
Noise may not be unusual in that case?
Old 06-17-2013
Registered!!

Little tid-bit I forgot to mention, not sure if it matters, but the wheels are straight off a 2006 Honda Civic Si.
Perhaps the new rims are wider, and are hitting something because of that?
Idk...I just got back from my honeymoon, guess I'll go and really look at the tires and measure them tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2013

wheels are straight off a 2006 Honda Civic Si.
They might have been on an Si, but those are the HFP accessory wheels, not Si wheels. No matter, they are a factory size and should not be rubbing.

IMO