8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

8th Gen ATF Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bgiles is an unknown quantity at this point
8th Gen ATF Change

Hey guys,

My 2008 Civic is about to reach 80,000 miles and I have neglected to change the Automatic Transmission Fluid for it. I'm assuming I should right away, but my question is whether to do a drain and fill or just flush it? I have heard people mention pros/cons with each one. I'm getting nervous because when I drive my car seems to sort of shake or shudder when switching gears. It's not real bad, and not all the time, but I definitely feel something sometimes... Especially in a lower gear. I want to keep my car for quite a few more years and I drive about 20,000 miles a year, so any info on what I can do would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 8th Gen ATF Change

The mm will likely run it that long anyhow.

I would just do a single drain and fill.

You will have to go with DW1 now.
Old 04-29-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

I would just do a drain and fill, if you are worried its not enough do it again at the next oil change as well..
Old 04-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the 8th gens can develop TCC shudder.
The Civics I really notice it on are the ones that neglected the trans services.
We (the shop) always recommend ATF services at least every 30k because of situations like this.

Drain and fill only.
Use factory fluid DW-1.
About 2.75 quarts per drain and fill.
If you want to flush, official procedure is multiple drains and fills until a case of fluid is run through.
Search this site for a link to the procedure.

Never use chemicals to flush.
DIY is safer than any JizzyLube.
Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point

Here’s a link to the official flushing procedure (from a different forum, but it's the same procedure for all Honda models with AT).

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...30&postcount=3

If you read the steps carefully, it calls for 4 drains & fills overall. Also, note that the Z1 AT fluid has been discontinued and replaced by Honda DW-1 fluid as mentioned byCraigW and ezone. Otherwise, the same procedure applies.
Old 04-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eastsider
Here’s a link to the official flushing procedure (from a different forum, but it's the same procedure for all Honda models with AT).
Nice.
I never found an actual copy of the actual Honda document posted on the internet before.
Old 04-30-2013
Registered!!

bgiles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your help, awesome answers, just what I was looking for! I think I'll definitely go the DIY route, so it's great to have some feedback on that as well.