8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

8th generation information?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jim1405 is an unknown quantity at this point
8th generation information?

Hello All, I'm new to this forum and was trying to find out some 8th generation Civic info. Stepson will soon be graduating from college and we're considering looking at low/mid (30-70,000) mileage Civics for him.

What are the major good and bad things about these cars and how well does the 1.8 liter perform with an automatic? Also, I have never been a four cylinder fan but this is a Honda, not a GM or Ford. Do they stay tight if properly maintained and what is considered high mileage for these motors?

Really appreciate any info Civic owners care to share.

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

eastsider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 8th generation information?

I recently bought a certified 2010 Civic EX w/ automatic as a replacement for our aging Camry. Because of good experience so far with my first Honda (a 2007 Ridgeline--best vehicle I’ve ever owned), I wasn’t hesitant to go the Honda route again. Anyway, since I’ve owned my EX for only a month now, I hope others chime in with specific responses to your request for 8th gen. Civic pros/cons.
Old 02-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What are the major good and bad things about these cars
If you guys are looking for POSSIBLE problems, look somewhere between the front bumper and the rear bumper. ANYTHING could go wrong.

If you have a SPECIFIC problem, that's a hell of a lot easier to address (for me).

I have never been a four cylinder fan but this is a Honda, not a GM or Ford. Do they stay tight if properly maintained
Cars like Honda and Toyota retain very high resale values for good reason.

how well does the 1.8 liter perform with an automatic?
They can keep up with traffic.
They can get a speeding ticket.

Do you need more? How fast do you think Junior needs to go?

what is considered high mileage for these motors
With some minimal basic care?
Quarter million plus, easy.
3-400K if one can put miles on fast enough (I'm in the rust belt, some cars barely seem to last 15 years sometimes here.)
But they won't go that far suffering from abuse and neglect.
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Quote: If you guys are looking for POSSIBLE problems, look somewhere between the front bumper and the rear bumper. ANYTHING could go wrong.

If you have a SPECIFIC problem, that's a hell of a lot easier to address (for me).

I understand what you're saying. I was looking for major things that are pretty common. For example, the intake manifold gaskets on my Monte Carlo are a very common failure. The transmission on my 8th generation Impala is known to be a weak point. Those are the type of things I'm trying to find out. This car will likely be 400 miles away so I won't be able to easily get my hands on it if something needs fixing.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

markx916 is an unknown quantity at this point

depends on the year if you want one without many problems I would recommend a 2010+ Civic. Since you mention its an automatic then I would assume its a base model civic. So just get a 2010+ civic would be best because from 2006 - early 2009 makes they had a few issues with engine blocks and other minor small things.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by markx916
depends on the year if you want one without many problems I would recommend a 2010+ Civic. Since you mention its an automatic then I would assume its a base model civic. So just get a 2010+ civic would be best because from 2006 - early 2009 makes they had a few issues with engine blocks and other minor small things.
Thanks Mark! These are the kind of issues I was wanting to uncover. What were the engine block problems?
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

markx916 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cracked engine block where the coolant leaks out completely which will cause it to over heat. Dealerships will replace it for free due to a extended warranty. BUT that warranty only covers clean title. If you would like a good recommendation for a good reliable car with a good price I would say 2006+ Corolla I had one ever since and no problems whats so ever. Or 2010 + Civics as well they have no cracked engine block problems either it was all fixed when they released the 2010. Not to bash on these civics they are great and fun cars to drive but had problems. I am planning on buying another 8thgen civic soon too just because I love that car a lot.

As a previous owner this is what all happened to me-
-Cracked window Visors (covered by warranty)
-Wheel bearings went bad (covered by warranty)
-Transmission started to leak (was not covered due to my warranty ended at 5 years/60k miles) -I never fixed it just sold it and told the new owner with that problem