8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Car novice, need pro advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dadcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Car novice, need pro advice

I have an 08 Honda Civic Ex and im wanting to add after market parts to my car to give it alittle more HP and try an Up the MPG. And from what ive been told is that the best ways to do this is cold air intake, exhaust, preformunce spark plus, and a chip thats technical name escapes me. So im looking for professional advice as to the best and most cost effective ways to do what i need and the best parts that can get that. Also is theres anything else i missed that can get me what i need
Old 02-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car novice, need pro advice

add after market parts to my car to give it alittle more HP...
cold air intake, exhaust, preformunce spark plus, and a chip thats technical name escapes me.
and try an Up the MPG.
These seem to be mutually exclusive goals.

Don't touch the spark plugs. You will not gain mileage from plugs, and these are good for 100,000 miles or more (a LOT more).

You want performance, mod for that.
You want mileage, mod for mileage.
Can't easily have both.

Mileage? I'd do stuff like
use 0w20 oil.
Low rolling resistance tires, narrow and pumped to the max.
Clean up the aerodynamics.
Change driving habits.

Google: hypermiler

Google: ecomodder

JMHO. YMMV. HTH.
Old 02-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dadcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

And what if i were to put a cold air, exhaust and chip. Will it effect(lessen) the gas mileage i have now? And if i were what would be the best parts and where would be the best places to buy them
Old 02-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And what if i were to put a cold air, exhaust and chip. Will it effect(lessen) the gas mileage i have now?
IMO Yes.... along with more noise, and we all know that causes you to exercise your right foot a lot more often.

And if i were what would be the best parts and where would be the best places to buy them
IDK. I'm a dealer tech. I deal with 99% strictly stock stuff. Very few cars I see have any mods.

Maybe you can do some searching on this site.
Maybe someone else will chime in with ideas.
Old 02-13-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if you are conscious and don't step on the gas, and if you can find a good mod that effectively improves the low range torque, yes, you can get better gas mileage while getting more torque (not power, torque) in the low RPM, especially. Meaning you don't need to push the throttle as much to get to reasonable speeds.

In the 7th gen (up to 2005), honda adjustment did not make the best use of the SOHC VTEC engine , so crower made a good cam called stage 1 - drop in and it will use what the engine/ECU have to offer in stock form. Power increased and mileage actually improved.
However, that is not common. Also, that was the only one mod that is drop-in that actually gave enough changes in power/torque for that engine.

Unfortunately i am not aware of mods such as this for the 8th generation (2006+).
Maybe someone did and will chime in.

g'luck and be aware of your right foot - that is what gives the best mileage. releasing the throttle and letting the car coast in gear was what actually gives me best mileage, sicne injection cuts fuel completely.