8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2010 Civic LX SRS reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richard_h is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 2010 Civic LX SRS reset

I hit a hog in the middle of highway one night and the airbag didn't pup out. After got the car repaired (by myself), still one problem left. The 'passenger side airbag' sign is still blinking and the SRS light came on after I connected the battery. I read the code and nothing return. Also, I checked all of videos on the youtube.com and no one actually mentioned anything about how 2010 or later civic SRS being reset. Problem is the videos for 2009 or before model got only two wires for SRS resetting. However, the 2010 model got four wires in it. So, could someone help me out? thanks.

YSI, there does have another thread about 2010 LX SRS resetting even though it is about early model civic SRS resetting (i.e., two wires and I tried couple times without success). However, his question about how to reset this four wires module never got answered. That would be really great if someone can answer it.

here is the link: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...bag-light.html
Old 01-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 Civic LX SRS reset

Originally Posted by richard_h
myself), still one problem left. The 'passenger side airbag' sign is still blinking and the SRS light came on after I connected the battery.
There is more to SRS than just airbags. The seat belts have charges too. Passengers seat has weight sensors and passenger position sensors.

I read the code and nothing return.
How did you read the code?
for SRS resetting. However, the 2010 model got four wires in it. So, could someone help me out? thanks.
Where did you find this connector of 4 wires?

YSI, there does have another thread about 2010 LX SRS resetting even though it is about early model civic SRS resetting (i.e., two wires and I tried couple times without success). However, his question about how to reset this four wires module never got answered. That would be really great if someone can answer it.

here is the link: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...bag-light.html
Do you not have a USA market car?

What SRS parts have you already replaced?
Old 01-15-2013
Registered!!

Thanks, ezone, for the response. I write the answers to the questions,
please see below:

1. There is more to SRS than just airbags. The seat belts have charges too. Passengers seat has weight sensors and passenger position sensors.

I have to say that I am totally new to all these electrical systems, sensors, etc... When I hit the hog, there was no one or anything on the passenger seat. However, my seat belt (driver side) tensioner did exploded and so far, I have not got it fixed yet. Could this be the reason of SRS light came on? If so, why is the 'Passenger Airbag Off' indicator blinking?

2. How did you read the code?

I used the regular code reader (not the one that very professional mechanic has), and nothing came on.

3. Where did you find this connector of 4 wires?

Can you see the picture below and it is located inside of the car, under the wheel-the yellow clip.

4. Do you not have a USA market car? It is USA market car not the Canada model

5. What SRS parts have you already replaced?

So far, none. The parts I mentioned in earlier post are for other systems (such as A/C, Radiator cooling, oxygen sensor etc.). Sorry for the confusion.

So, could you give me some suggestions on what should I do now and next? For instance, get the driver side seat belt replaced first? Check the sensors (how)? Reset the SRS (again, what to do with that 4 wires)...? And really appreciate the help.
Old 01-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

IMPORTANT QUOTE FROM ONE OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST:
The SRS components are NOT something the "average joe" should be messing with. This system should be diagnosed and repaired by a qualified technician.

Seriously. This is a SAFETY SYSTEM.
You do NOT want a liability lawsuit hanging over your head if something YOU touched fails to work properly in a collision where someone is seriously injured.

there was no one or anything on the passenger seat. However, my seat belt (driver side) tensioner did exploded and so far, I have not got it fixed yet. Could this be the reason of SRS light came on?....
Absolutely, this is just one of several reasons.
some suggestions on what should I do now and next?
This is going to cost you.
Is your insurance company involved yet? They should have been involved from the start.
There is a shopping list of SRS components that must be replaced when any components have been deployed.

Copy & paste from the Honda info site:

Document title:
2010 CIVIC - SRS Component Replacement/Inspection After Deployment

• Before doing any SRS repairs, check the DTCs for the less obvious deployed parts (front seat belt tensioners, front impact sensors, side impact sensors, rear safing sensor, etc.).
  • If there is a breaking or damage found in harness relevant to the replacement parts shown below, replace it, do not repair.
  • Do not replace the ODS unit unless it is physically damaged or a specific fault was found during DTC troubleshooting. Because it could complicate troubleshooting other DTCs.
  • After a vehicle collision, do the ODS unit operation check.
  • After a vehicle collision, inspect the front seat active head restraints.

You said only a seat belt deployed:

After a collision where the seat belt tensioners deployed, replace these items:
  • SRS unit
  • Front seat belt(s)
  • Front seat belt buckle tensioner(s)
  • Front impact sensor(s)

You are going to want this site for parts. New parts are strongly recommended: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
(Use of parts not approved by Honda may leave you open to liability lawsuit problems.)

1) You obviously need to replace the drivers belt.

2) Look closely at the buckles for each front seat belt. The buckle for the drivers seat should be lower than the other by approximately an inch or more.
It was also deployed at the same time as the seat belt.
Replace the buckle.

3) Impact sensors on the front of the car must be replaced. You probably saw at least one of them while the bumper cover was off.

Clicky: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...l#post10943235

4) The SRS control unit now has codes that say it deployed each of these items. These codes cannot be erased, the controller MUST be replaced.

5) AFTER the steps above are completed, you now must go to a dealer and have the SRS system initialized (programmed).
This calibrates the ODS, OPDS, and SWS parts of the system to the new control unit.
There is no DIY for this procedure, the factory HDS scanner must be used to complete this task.
**Expect to pay approximately a one hour labor fee for this service.** (This is what we charge at the shop I work at.)

-----------------------------------------------------

Reading codes: The Service Check connection is in the Data Link Connector. Terminal #9, orange wire.

Erasing codes: The Memory Erase Signal (MES): The connector you have pictured is not the MES connector-- according to my diagram. The MES should have only 2 terminals and is normally plugged in to the fusebox up above those fuses that are visible. Up with the rest of the wire harness plugs. It will be an obvious bright yellow like the other SRS parts.

It is too late, you cannot erase codes from your SRS control unit.
PLEASE do not mess with stuff you aren't familiar with: randomly shorting wires can cause expensive damage. (Although in this case, I doubt you can hurt it any more than it already is.)

But to answer the questions of the memory erase connector, I offer this:

Look at each of these pics, they should be the same as your car:

NOTE: I do not use these methods above. I have the proper scanner (HDS, Honda Diagnostic System) for doing this work.

HTH, good luck.
Old 01-16-2013
Registered!!

Thanks a lot, ezone.

I sure don't want to do all these by myself. But I am on a budget now (I am student). I will get the new parts. If I can not do the job, I will definitely give it to the mechanic and ask them to fix it. I will keep posted on the progess. Again, thanks.

oh, one more thing, since the accident, I didn't use this car at all. It's still in my parking lot. So, I wouldn't let the car on the road until it is 100% safe.

regards

Originally Posted by ezone
IMPORTANT QUOTE FROM ONE OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST:
The SRS components are NOT something the "average joe" should be messing with. This system should be diagnosed and repaired by a qualified technician.

Seriously. This is a SAFETY SYSTEM.
You do NOT want a liability lawsuit hanging over your head if something YOU touched fails to work properly in a collision where someone is seriously injured.

Absolutely, this is just one of several reasons.
This is going to cost you.
Is your insurance company involved yet? They should have been involved from the start.
There is a shopping list of SRS components that must be replaced when any components have been deployed.

Copy & paste from the Honda info site:

Document title:
2010 CIVIC - SRS Component Replacement/Inspection After Deployment

• Before doing any SRS repairs, check the DTCs for the less obvious deployed parts (front seat belt tensioners, front impact sensors, side impact sensors, rear safing sensor, etc.).
  • If there is a breaking or damage found in harness relevant to the replacement parts shown below, replace it, do not repair.
  • Do not replace the ODS unit unless it is physically damaged or a specific fault was found during DTC troubleshooting. Because it could complicate troubleshooting other DTCs.
  • After a vehicle collision, do the ODS unit operation check.
  • After a vehicle collision, inspect the front seat active head restraints.

You said only a seat belt deployed:

After a collision where the seat belt tensioners deployed, replace these items:
  • SRS unit
  • Front seat belt(s)
  • Front seat belt buckle tensioner(s)
  • Front impact sensor(s)

You are going to want this site for parts. New parts are strongly recommended: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
(Use of parts not approved by Honda may leave you open to liability lawsuit problems.)

1) You obviously need to replace the drivers belt.

2) Look closely at the buckles for each front seat belt. The buckle for the drivers seat should be lower than the other by approximately an inch or more.
It was also deployed at the same time as the seat belt.
Replace the buckle.

3) Impact sensors on the front of the car must be replaced. You probably saw at least one of them while the bumper cover was off.

Clicky: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...l#post10943235

4) The SRS control unit now has codes that say it deployed each of these items. These codes cannot be erased, the controller MUST be replaced.

5) AFTER the steps above are completed, you now must go to a dealer and have the SRS system initialized (programmed).
This calibrates the ODS, OPDS, and SWS parts of the system to the new control unit.
There is no DIY for this procedure, the factory HDS scanner must be used to complete this task.
**Expect to pay approximately a one hour labor fee for this service.** (This is what we charge at the shop I work at.)

-----------------------------------------------------

Reading codes: The Service Check connection is in the Data Link Connector. Terminal #9, orange wire.

Erasing codes: The Memory Erase Signal (MES): The connector you have pictured is not the MES connector-- according to my diagram. The MES should have only 2 terminals and is normally plugged in to the fusebox up above those fuses that are visible. Up with the rest of the wire harness plugs. It will be an obvious bright yellow like the other SRS parts.

It is too late, you cannot erase codes from your SRS control unit.
PLEASE do not mess with stuff you aren't familiar with: randomly shorting wires can cause expensive damage. (Although in this case, I doubt you can hurt it any more than it already is.)

But to answer the questions of the memory erase connector, I offer this:

Look at each of these pics, they should be the same as your car:

NOTE: I do not use these methods above. I have the proper scanner (HDS, Honda Diagnostic System) for doing this work.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by richard_h; 01-16-2013 at 10:02 AM.