Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Engine Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brow276 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Block

How concerned should I be about the known issue about the 2007 Civic Engine Block cracking? I've just put 62,000 on my buddy. Today, I did a synthetic oil change, transmission fluid change, and replaced the spark plugs. It is in very great shape. Should I still worry about having to replace the engine because of the known issue?
Old 01-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine Block

You have warranty on the engine block covered for 8 years, unlimited mileage.

I'd guess less than 5% have failed here.....Meaning that for the fleet of 06-08 Civics we sold and service, very few have failed. They sure can't keep me busy changing engines.
Old 01-12-2013
Registered!!

brow276 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good info, thanks. Hopefully if it is going to happen, it happens within before my eight years are up, otherwise I'd probably be better off getting a new car if it happens after the warranty.
Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

markx916 is an unknown quantity at this point

its a small number lol I would say about 5% of the R18a1 cracks, you should be fine I've seen some R18s hit up to 200k miles no problem but yet again the cracked engine block is so random on when it cracks. Ive heard stories or 20k miles cracking then some at 100k. But then again someone made it to 500k miles on it already.. I believe someone had a thread on 8thcivic forums. I had a 2007 LX that I daily drove it was fine for 2 years haha then I sold it cause my transmission was going bad.

you can check carcomplaints website they have a lot of people with cracked engine blocks posting their stories but overall I wouldnt worry too much about it... you have an extended warranty for it and if anything I believe you can buy a block for about 1000ish for new.

Just a heads up extended warranty only works for clean title vehicles.
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Sol1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone own Honda Civic 2006-2009. Are you having over heating issues, leaking coolant or, engine problems??? Has your stranded you or, caused accident as result of stopping while driving. Speak up then file complaint on biggest billion dollar 10 year extended warranty for American Honda. This should be safety recall. Your complaints can get to recall for no expiration. Clearly Honda doesn't want to take accountability for selling cars with cracked engine blocks ! If you're car is totaled but with no damage to engine area they are leaving you out to repair their mistakes. Speak up because the National Highway Safety Administration needs to know what danger this defect is to owners! Lawsuits can result if seriously injured. Please speak up for me, for you and for all the people affected. Here's the website:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/vehiclecomplaint/
Old 09-05-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Honda already put out an engine recall for those issues on those civic years for the known r18 issue.

It comes with a ten year warranty So 2006 cars will be out of warranty bu 07-09 will still be covered if the engine needs to be replaced again.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...vics/index.htm