8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Meh... Help Selling a 2009 Si

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012
Civic Lover, ***** Neophyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proletariat is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Meh... Help Selling a 2009 Si

Hiya.

I'm brand new to the forums, and I'm not looking for any shortcut to selling my Si (I'm far short of 50 posts, and I don't wanna spam), but I was wondering if you guys could give me a little advice.

I have a 2009 Si that I bought in 2009 for commuting and for fambly transpo (it's a 4 door, but I didn't want to hate driving my commuter, so I talked the ol' lady into a pretty awesome compromise). I didn't get into any modding because a) I was too busy finishing a college degree and family stuff, b) I knew I was going to sell it after college, so I wanted to leave it pristine for someone who DID want to mod it. So here are my questions. I hope you all don't mind me asking them here:

1) It's a 4 door, so is that more or less desirable than a 2 door for those that wanna really mod an Si? I'm not interested in price-gouging, but I'm more wondering about demand.

2) Typically, I love working out trades, but I actually need the $$$ because I'm still having trouble finding a job post-college. I've only listed the car on CL up until now. Every response I have received wants to trade something, even though I list NO TRADES. Is it even worth listing in classifieds or elsewhere (ebay motors? KBB?). My friends are totally worthless on advice in this area.

3) I love this car, but I don't wanna overvalue it because I think it's so awesome. If I post some details about it (I wrote out an incredibly detailed post for CL, including blemishes and such), would you guys mind helping me value it? I'd actually go a little below market value if I knew it was going to a good home. Just tell me straight... is it bad form to show up as a newbie and ask for some help? I was thinking it might be better for the Civic community because the dealer/ price-gougers stay outta the loop, I get a fair price, and someone gets a killer Si in great shape, but I could totally be wrong.

4) Do any of you know anything about Canadian VINs? I'm going to go search the forums on this in a sec, but when I went to go begin a listing on eBay motors, the VIN showed up as "INVALID." I swear to the civic gods that this machine was purchased directly from the dealership (Ralph Schomp in Denver), and the title is clear. Looking at the VIN, it appears that it may be a Canadian VIN. Rest assured that I'm calling the dealership tomorrow and, if necessary, there may be some yelling involved, if this is going to be a problem. Anyway, do any of you know if I can even sell the car in the US without all sorts of problems? Is this going to be a bigger problem of some sort? Any idea who I should be yelling at? Should I be yelling at all?

Okay, I think that's it. Thanks in advance. If I get flamed enough, I'll just go away and sell it somewhere without bugging you all, but I figured it was worth the asking.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meh... Help Selling a 2009 Si

I don't know crap about selling. Buy high, sell low. LOL

What do you want to know about the VIN? Open recalls? Delivery date?

Si might have been built in Canada, just like a million other cars in the US.
VIN that starts with a 2 was built in Canada.

What matters is the market the car was intended to be sold in.
Old 12-30-2012

Well, VIN starts in 2, so it was definitely built in Canada (nice job, Canucks.). However, I'm selling it here in the US. The buyer won't have any trouble getting it registered or anything, will they?
Old 12-30-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you purchased the car NEW in Colorado, it must be a US market car.

PM me the VIN.
If it was originally built for the US market, I will be able to run it.
If it was originally a Canadian market car, I will not get any info at all from the VIN inquiry.

Honda USA does not officially recognize Canadian market VINs, and vice-versa.
Market--meaning built for sale in a certain country. Different equipment and local regulations that must be met.

A Canadian built VIN means nothing. Plenty of US market cars have been and still are built there. Current Civic Coupes are all built there (AFAIK).
Old 12-31-2012
Registered!!

jmzjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles ?
Old 12-31-2012

VIN is definitely a US market car.
Old 12-31-2012

Originally Posted by jmzjeep
How many miles ?

I drove them all backward, though. That's normal, right?