8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2010 gas mileage issue on Civic DX-G??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbcougars is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 gas mileage issue on Civic DX-G??

Hello,

I own a 2010 Civic DX-G (automatic) and live in Canada. Compared to my older 2002 Civic (DX model) I think I am getting very poor gas mileage. Here's the deal. I get anywhere from 460 KM to 520 KM to a full tank of gas of a combined city/highway driving. Right not I am at 1 bar left and I am at 460 KM. Seems like poor gas mileage to me. The car was bought used in July with about 27K KM on it. I've had the car in for a health check at the dealership and no issues were reported. I also had it in to swap out the "gas sending unit" and nothing has changed. I've talked to people who also own 2010 DX-G's and they report getting way better gas mileage than I am. Not sure if they are BS'ing me or not, but compared to my 2002 Civic I think something is up. Another issue I want to mention is that my gas bars drop rapidly after a 1/4 gas left mark. This morning the bars dropped 2 bars in about 18 KM. Seems really strange to me.

Does my gas mileage seem normal to other 2010 DX-G automatic owners? I think I should be getting close to 600 KM consistently with my city/highway driving. I don't drive a lot of hills and drive within the speed limit. I am thinking I bought a lemon and am thinking that I may have to sell the darn thing.

Send me your thoughts.
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

jhonstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2010 gas mileage issue on Civic DX-G??

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
ny real estate attorney
If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
Nice stuff for my research writing
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

I am still having this issue. Any thoughts on this? Air filter was changed, plugs were changed. Tire pressure is fine, little to no AC running.
Old 07-24-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it does seem Low have you checked your brakes to see if there
dragging.? have you tried using a fuel system treatment to clean up
carbon.? try using a can of BG 44k in the fuel tank.
Old 07-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

1) You can't compare the older car to the newer car, they are not the same cars. The newer car has a bigger engine and is heavier.

2) Gas mileage is 50% about the car, 50% about the driver.

3) Even if discussing identical cars, most peoples gas mileage differences are due to differing driving habits and routines. No two people drive the same way or the same routes.

4) Your gas mileage calculation is arbitrary and random. KMs per tank is not the same as calculating efficiency (gas mileage).

5) AAAAAAaaaaand the EPA rated gas mileage of the 2010 is lower than the 2002.
You'd be hard pressed to match the gas mileage of the older car.

I think I should be getting close to 600 KM
You want more KMs per tank? Put a bigger tank in it.
(This smartass answer is here just because everyone expects this type of comment from me.)

HTH
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

To back-up e-zones post, I get about 35-40 mpg (about 400 miles per tank;640 km) , However on fuelly.com most of the other 2014 civics are getting 25-30 mpg.(less than 500 km per tank, if they fill up around the same time that I do.)

Sign up for fuelly and start tracking your mileage accurately before you assume a problem.
Whenever I fill up I can only get 10 gallons or so in it, even though the car says it can hold 13(seriously though, how freaking low does it have to be to get 13 gallons in it? I've had it down to one blip on the meter, with the light on, and still only got 10.8 gallons in it)

Check out hyper-miling techniques if you want better mileage.
Old 07-24-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 12 sedan.

I write down (On paper! By hand!) every last fillup, exact gallons, odometer, trip mileage, prices, the average stated on my IMID screen, and my own calculated gas mileage.

I was getting as much as 34 MPG on my daily commute with the OE LRR tires in the summer.
If I went highway at 70 ish MPH I was getting about 37 MPG.
If I go steady 50-55 MPH I have gotten over 53 MPG.

Then I put on big wheels and wide Michelins that aren't efficient LRR tires and mileages went down quite a bit.

I have been getting consistent 28-29 MPG on my daily commute on 18" wheels in the summer.
70-75 I was getting like 34ish on these wheels and tires.
If I go highway with regular fast lane traffic flow (LOL) at 85-90 MPH my mileage is a crappy 32 MPG or less (unless I can draft off someone else going that fast --- NASCAR FTW).

Winter weather knocks a hell of a lot of mileage off my averages. I've seen as low as 21-22 with my daily commute.....and remote start warmups.
Old 07-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
I actually took it to get services this morning and was told the following:
"The front and rear brakes need to be serviced. The front pads are glazed and have no chamfer left to them, they are also sticking in the carriers and causing some noise under hard braking. They are currently 60% worn so you have quite a bit of life left in them. The rear brakes shoes are sticking as well and there is an excessive build-up of brake dust on the assemblies and glazing on the shoe surface. They are currently 50% worn and have lots of life remaining.

The fuel trim readings are right on spec so it does not appear to have a fuel delivery issue. It’s possible with the brakes sticking that it could be causing excessive friction and drag which could slightly hinder the economy."

I gave the go-ahead to service the brakes. Not sure if they really had to be services, but I went ahead with it anyways.

I filled up yesterday and was at 415 KM and was down to 2 bars. The car holds 50 liters. When the gas pumped stopped, it stopped at 43.6 liters so I had about 6.4 liters of gas in the tank. I assume anyways.

My old 2002 honda civic was EXCELLENT on gas and I am doing the same driving, same driving style which I consider to be non-aggressive. All in all I am not pleased with my fuel economy on my 2010 civic. I thought I would get consistent high 500 km - low 600 km in both city/highway driving. I'm not getting anywhere near that.
Old 07-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
Originally Posted by ezone
I have a 12 sedan.

I write down (On paper! By hand!) every last fillup, exact gallons, odometer, trip mileage, prices, the average stated on my IMID screen, and my own calculated gas mileage.

I was getting as much as 34 MPG on my daily commute with the OE LRR tires in the summer.
If I went highway at 70 ish MPH I was getting about 37 MPG.
If I go steady 50-55 MPH I have gotten over 53 MPG.

Then I put on big wheels and wide Michelins that aren't efficient LRR tires and mileages went down quite a bit.

I have been getting consistent 28-29 MPG on my daily commute on 18" wheels in the summer.
70-75 I was getting like 34ish on these wheels and tires.
If I go highway with regular fast lane traffic flow (LOL) at 85-90 MPH my mileage is a crappy 32 MPG or less (unless I can draft off someone else going that fast --- NASCAR FTW).

Winter weather knocks a hell of a lot of mileage off my averages. I've seen as low as 21-22 with my daily commute.....and remote start warmups.
Thanks for all your feedback. I appreciate it!!!

I actually was wondering if the tires I had on my car had anything to do with my low fuel economy.
Old 07-25-2014

Originally Posted by cbcougars
I actually was wondering if the tires I had on my car had anything to do with my low fuel economy.
VERY possible. Mine came with LRR (low rolling resistance) tires from the factory, and I could tell immediately the new tires didn't roll nearly as easily while driving. They have a lot of drag, and that costs gas mileage numbers.

Again, the older Civic has a higher economy rating than the new car. You will not match the old car mileage and should not expect to.

Research this on your own if you don't believe me.

HTH
Old 07-27-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

even though fuel trim is with-in spec. I still would run a strong concentrated
fuel system cleaner in the tank as mentioned BG 44k is one that's very strong but also safe to use CRC one tank power renew is another that's great to use give one of them a shot.