8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Mufflers on 2012 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragon9691 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mufflers on 2012 Civic

I was looking into getting an exhaust or muffler for my new Civic, but I'm kinda new to this so wanted tok now if I needed to get the full exhaust system or just the Muffler to change the sound of my car.

Also I am open to any suggestions you guys have to offer on this or any other performance parts. Just starting to upgrade my car so any suggestion is welcomed.
Old 07-18-2012
Registered!!

20twelve is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Mufflers on 2012 Civic

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but ill offer up my knowledge to ya. You can have a muffler shop cut off the stock muffler and weld a new one on for around $50. Do some research on YouTube and such for finding the exhaust sound you would like. I settled on the vibrant streetpower muffler. It's flat black and looks really good on the car. It cost me about $80-90 I think online with shipping. Just make sure you get the correct pipe diameter for the best fitment. I believe its 2 1/4 inch. It sounds great, has a straight-through design and best of all isn't loud and raspy no matter how hard you get on it. Just a nice hum that drownds out the engine and road a little. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2012
New Civic Owner

jsquaredmn is an unknown quantity at this point

im in the same boat...i am looking for a setup for my 2012 LX Coupe...i havent seen anything yet out there...any suggestions would help...thanks
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

B15Fred can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by dragon9691
I was looking into getting an exhaust or muffler for my new Civic, but I'm kinda new to this so wanted tok now if I needed to get the full exhaust system or just the Muffler to change the sound of my car.

Also I am open to any suggestions you guys have to offer on this or any other performance parts. Just starting to upgrade my car so any suggestion is welcomed.
I would get the complete catback system. Sounds and will perform better.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Catback is better but cost significantly more, another option is to eliminate the resonator muffler located just forward of the rear axle. I did this by replacing it with a straight pipe at a local muffler shop for around $65.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

(Removing resonators has no effect on hp; it only affects engine noise coming down the pipe)

(Not saying anyone is claiming it, just making sure it is known)
Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

The resonator muffler is rather large and surely is more restrictive than a straight pipe, so reason would indicate that it does positively affect performance, but not nearly as much as a full catback system or headers.
Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Leave it alone. You have a SS exhaust system that will last a very long time with a huge non restrictive resonators and muffler system. 85% of the people will think you are a fool. If you need attention, get you a pair of baggy paints that show your underwear. Then you will have 99%..my two cents..
Old 02-24-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

dragon if you cut corners you wont get the full sound your looking for. i would look at
(HKS high power catback exhaust system) or if you want something with a more higher pich sound exhaust note. then definatly the "BORLA catback exhaust" would be my #1 pick
Old 02-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If you need attention, get you a pair of baggy paints that show your underwear.
I LORFD

Old 02-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

The only way removing a resonator would increase HP is if the most restrictive part of the resonator was more restrictive than the next most restrictive part of the rest of the exhaust system.

An engineer would not design a system with such a bottleneck; it'd be the same throughout. Furthermore, even if you were to add a larger diameter pipe(or the above case were true, and the resonator were more restrictive than the rest of the system) you would also need to increase the flow rate going into, and through, the engine in order to see anything other than marginal increases.
(And I think even the muffler is more restrictive than the resonator)

Even then, a resonator actually increases HP across a certain RPM band, removing it might gain you 2 hp off the line, but could cost you 3-4 hp at a higher rpm.

As far as I know, usually the most restrictive part of the exhaust system by far is the catalytic converter, if you really want more HP(and a nice big ticket if you get caught).
I'm actually pretty sure you technically aren't allowed to remove a functioning converter; it technically has to be inoperable/damaged for you to legally replace it(say, with a performance one that has a better flow rate)
Old 02-25-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, usually the most restrictive part of the exhaust system by far is the catalytic converter,
A properly sized cat can flow far more CFM than the engine can breathe.

If someone really wanted to measure exhaust restriction (backpressure), they could screw a pressure gauge in place of an O2 sensor, go hammer it WOT to redline a few times.
Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

Any exhaust restriction removed is gain. The OEM Engineer design is the apartment hot water heater sized resonator designed to give the stock Civic it's original Granny grocery getter sound and performance lack. Look at the insides of a resonator, cat and muffler, the muffler is definitively the most restrictive part of the system. Exhaust pipe sizing for the Civic HP range is about 2.0 - 2.5" http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how...pipe-diameter/ Compare that to the excessive size tail pipe diameters on some systems that look like they should be on a 1 ton 7.3L turbo diesel pick ups. I was just stating a cheap mod, if we all had big bucks we'd be on a high end Acura, etc. forum.
Old 03-05-2015

Compare that to the excessive size tail pipe diameters on some systems that look like they should be on a 1 ton 7.3L turbo diesel pick ups.
Um, yeah LOL

Old 03-07-2015
Registered!!

LOL! Where do you get these pics? I like your humor. I was trying to read the license plate, thought it might be Texas plates. I've seen similar but with the artificial bull ball sac and cow bell hanging off the trailer hitch from a Prairie Billy urban cowboy pick up.
Old 03-07-2015

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
LOL! Where do you get these pics? I like your humor.
That was from google images....I was actually looking for one with a garbage can for a tailpipe when I found that one.

Seems like not everyone appreciates my sense of humor.