8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2009 Keyless Entry Programming ??

Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grndcomm is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Keyless Entry Programming ??

I just purchased a 2009 Civic today. It has electric door locks and windows, BUT it did not come with a remote. I have looked for the remotes and found plenty but here is the confusing part. There are sellers saying that the remote will have to be programmed by a locksmith or Honda dealership AND sellers saying they include instructions on how to program their remote yourself.

Any help appreciated

Ken
Old 06-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Keyless Entry Programming ??

What kind of car is it? If you don't know, post the VIN and I'll see if I can narrow it down (USA market cars only for me, thx)

DX doesn't have keyless available.

The keys would have the fob built into the head of the key. Fob is not a separate item.

Sidewinder type key is cut on a special router.

An '09: Keys and remotes are only programmed through a dealer level scanner with Immobilizer access (You would need an extremely well equipped locksmith for this, our local smith only has equipment for the Big 3.)
Remote fob is programmed as part of the key programming process.

I know of NO way an owner can DIY any of this.

HTH
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Here is an a couple of examples of someone saying they included directions on how to program the remote. It is a 2009 Civix DX so I think you just answered my question. Thanks for your reply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-CI...b493a5&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-CI...b49cae&vxp=mtr
Old 06-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get the switchblade key in the US, I believe these are European market http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-CI...b493a5&vxp=mtr

If they would work, it would be cool as hell.

The other link pic doesn't show the trunk button, might be a generic pic.

--------------------------------------------
You got a DX?
Yeah, you're screwed.

IDK what it would take to adapt all the necessary parts to create complete keyless out of factory parts, but it may be a lot more involved than most people would think.

Step up and get a different car..... or maybe another method:
Go to the aftermarket for remote locks, but use factory latches for an LX/EX with the power lock actuators built in. Of course there will be wiring to deal with.
Other people have complained loudly about aftermarket actuators.

A wrecked car would be ideal to scrounge from.

4 door front latches look to be around $40 each from Majestic. Less for the rears.
2 door, $31 and $35. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...-+OUTER+HANDLE

HTH
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

Appreciate your input ezone. We got a good deal on the car, likely maybe because it is a DX but we really like it. True, it doesn't have the bells and whistles alot of cars do, but we can live without those. In about 3 years it may be passed down to a new grand kid driver. Alot to look at in these forums. Great source of knowledge so as I get use to the car, more questions may arise. Again thanks for your input.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

yogesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the video for programming Honda Remote

Here is the direct video link:
Old 11-08-2012

Originally Posted by yogesh
Here is the video for programming Honda Remote
This is no longer a valid method for many of Hondas cars in North America.

Starting with the 06 model year Civics, the keys and transmitters must be programmed with the scantool.

This means the vehicle owner no longer has the ability to program their own remotes.

(USA) Bulletin 06-011 explains the Type 6 Immobilizer system.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...am/A06-011.pdf
(This is an early version of the bulletin, the newest version I see on the Honda site is dated Feb 6, 2009.)

HTH
Old 10-31-2015
Registered!!

nora.g is an unknown quantity at this point

"An '09: Keys and remotes are only programmed through a dealer level scanner with Immobilizer access (You would need an extremely well equipped locksmith for this, our local smith only has equipment for the Big 3.)
Remote fob is programmed as part of the key programming process."

I just want to make sure I under stood correctly. Does this mean that I could purchase this key and then take it to a locksmith to get it cut and programmed to work for my 2009 Honda civic DX?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XZ9PPCQ#Ask
Old 10-31-2015

Originally Posted by nora.g
"An '09: Keys and remotes are only programmed through a dealer level scanner with Immobilizer access (You would need an extremely well equipped locksmith for this, our local smith only has equipment for the Big 3.)
Remote fob is programmed as part of the key programming process."

I just want to make sure I under stood correctly. Does this mean that I could purchase this key and then take it to a locksmith to get it cut and programmed to work for my 2009 Honda civic DX?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XZ9PPCQ#Ask
First question: Does your DX Civic have power locks?
Old 10-31-2015

No answer?
The DX does not have power locks, so getting a key with a keyless remote in it is a waste of money.

==============

Next questions:

Does your local locksmith have the $$$pecialized equipment necessary to cut one of these keys?

Does your local locksmith have the $$$pecialized equipment necessary to program these keys?

======================

You can get a plain black headed key (without the keyless fob) from a Honda dealer for something like $20, and some dealers may charge a fee to cut the key......
Then the price for getting it programmed will vary from dealer to dealer.
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes, it does have power locks.
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No answer?
The DX does not have power locks, so getting a key with a keyless remote in it is a waste of money.

==============

Next questions:

Does your local locksmith have the $$$pecialized equipment necessary to cut one of these keys?

Does your local locksmith have the $$$pecialized equipment necessary to program these keys?

======================

You can get a plain black headed key (without the keyless fob) from a Honda dealer for something like $20, and some dealers may charge a fee to cut the key......
Then the price for getting it programmed will vary from dealer to dealer.
The locksmith I found does have the equipment to program the key. But he said he doesn't supply the keys with the buttons attached. I found this key and was hoping to get it cut and programmed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XZ9PPCQ?vs=1
Old 02-05-2016

Are you in the US or Canada?
Can you post your VIN or PM it to me? I want to see if the part number matches.