8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery Question

HI, new to the board. I have just purchased a "new" Honda Civic 2009 with 43,000 on it in FEB. Twice I've had to jump it for leaving the lights on for ten minutes after I have turned off the engine (ie waiting to drop my kid off at school type of situations). This surprises me as with my old car it would take a lot longer for the battery to run down. Also, it will not recharge itself if left overnight. Is the fact it doesn't charge my cell when the ignition is off a feature of this car or should I be concerned? I guess I am asking if this behavior is typical of this brand and I need to be extra careful about the lights or do I need a new battery?
Old 05-09-2012
Registered!!

99civic360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Battery Question

It is not typical of Honda to do that, you made a wise purchase. 09 civic is very reliable. just get a new battery.
Old 05-09-2012
Registered!!

Thumbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Danke!
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

2k8si is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd suggest getting an aftermarket battery just to be safe. I have bought Optima batteries for all my cars and they are great(I am in no way affiliated with Optima, just have had great experience with their product). I've sat in my car for over an hour with the car on (not running) and the radio on and it doesn't die.
Old 05-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thumbs
Twice I've had to jump it for leaving the lights on for ten minutes after I have turned off the engine........

This surprises me as with my old car it would take a lot longer for the battery to run down.

Also, it will not recharge itself if left overnight.
Neither the car, nor the battery, are the true problem here.

Guess what that leaves....

Is the fact it doesn't charge my cell when the ignition is off
Correct. About half of the cars in the world are this way.

RTFM.

I need to be extra careful about the lights or do I need a new battery?
That battery would probably last a long time for someone that doesn't leave their headlights on.
But if it is original, then go ahead and replace it. See how long it takes for YOU to kill that one too.
Old 05-12-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have a 15lb motorcycle battery (1067pca, 574ca, 425cca, 21 amp hour, 35 minute reserve) and it works great people keep saying they only last a year but im aiming to prove them wrong! this is not for a "normal" person who just gets in the car and drives. you need to know a bit more about the car and battery tech to use it properly.