8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

Originally Posted by mcamphr
Also did the lawn edging air dam on front.
I've done this to a few of my cars over the last 3 decades.
Old 11-26-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you dont mind the cold, leave the heater control dial on 'cold' in the winter. car warms up way faster than even if the dial was set to 'hot' with the fan off. faster it warms up, the faster you get better mpg.
Old 11-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DodgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
if you dont mind the cold, leave the heater control dial on 'cold' in the winter. car warms up way faster than even if the dial was set to 'hot' with the fan off. faster it warms up, the faster you get better mpg.
This is a great tip! Where did you find this out?
Old 11-27-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DodgeCivic
This is a great tip! Where did you find this out?
It's sort of common sense, once you understand the "hows and whys".

A LOT of extra fuel is needed to sustain operation of a cold engine (can easily be double, depending on conditions), and a lot of fuel is consumed while getting the engine up to operating temperature.
The quicker it reaches operating temp, the sooner it reaches optimal efficiency.

You sitting in the drivers seat, trying to suck what little heat the engine has already made can significantly increase the time it takes to reach operating temperature.

My daily commute is only like 6 miles each way. My engine barely gets warmed up in the winter.
Old 11-28-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

at least on our cars, switching to "cold" temp on the dial actually closes off the entire heater core cooling circuit. that way coolant only stays in the engine until it warms up enough to open the thermostat and use the radiator. with the heater valve open, coolant circulates thru a good amount of hose and thru the heater core, which still gets cold air blowing with the car moving, even with the fan off. this acts as a mini radiator. ive driven in areas so cold that the engine will never warm up unless the heater is set to cold and youre driving in 3rd gear. another trick to warm the auto trans faster is put it in D with the ebrake on while you let the car sit. this usually needs the car to be parked on an upward incline, otherwise it will prolly start rolling forward.
Old 11-28-2012

at least on our cars,
8th and 9th gens don't use a water valve. 7th was the last to use it.
Old 11-29-2012
Premium Member

oh okay, at least for MY car lol. what did they end up switching to, just a mix door to block the hot air?
Old 11-29-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
oh okay, at least for MY car lol. what did they end up switching to, just a mix door to block the hot air?
Yes.

But IMO the effect would still be the same: If you keep the heat turned off, then you aren't removing it from the cooling system. Thus, slightly faster warmup time.
Old 11-29-2012
Premium Member

i suppose, since the air has nowhere to go. but i like the valve design better, like making a bypass rather than having a whole other system for coolant to flow thru (altho it decreases the chances of cracking the block, since with the old system you could warm the car up first and then turn the temp dial to hot, causing the ice cold coolant to enter the engine). i guess like anything, if used properly it will work out.
Old 12-17-2012
Registered!!

cnyankee is an unknown quantity at this point

New to forum. From Cali. Just bought new 2012 civic ex and only getting 20mpg city. Car has 200 miles on it. Dealer said that I have to drive it for at least a month for the car to get use to me. That statement does not make sense. I never expected 28 mpg like sticker said but at least 25 city. Thanks
Old 01-12-2013
Registered!!

YamaDharma is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought Civic LX Jan 2, 2012. Drove 15,248 miles thru 12/31/12. Approx. 75% hgwy. One trip to NC and back to CT, 1820 miles. Overall fuel mileage for year was 36.3 mpg. NOTE: hills where I live kill "city" mileage. Rated for 28 mpg, but I estimate 25 mpg pure city due to hills. Good vehicle so far.

Last edited by YamaDharma; 01-12-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

trogg1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in upstate NY and purchased my 2012 Civic LX auto in May. I drove a lot of highway miles in the summer/fall and easily got 32-40 MPG. However, this winter doing mostly city driving, I've got 22-24. I drive with a light foot and I'm quite disappointed in the low MPG. Otherwise, I like the car.
Old 01-27-2013
Registered!!

EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see my original thread has grown.

Anyway, I've had my 2012 almost a full year. I got about 17k miles on it. The gas mileage is excellent. I've pulled 42 MPG on a highway trip. Even during these cold winter months in New England, I'm getting like 25 on average doing short city trips around town. One of the keys to getting decent winter driving mileage might be not to let the engine idle out in the driveway. When you do this, you are getting zero miles to the gallon.

I get a kick out of watching the gas mileage climb and decline on the Info screen as the driving conditions change.
Old 02-25-2013
Registered!!

DocViking is an unknown quantity at this point

Before I purchased my 2012 Civic in August I was driving a 2002 Acura MDX, filling up twice a week @$70 a pop. Now I pull 32mpg commuting to work (rural hills and some hwy) and on longer trips I have pulled 42 mpg hwy with no luggage or passengers. And I only fill once a week for about $35. The car pays for itself compared to what I was spending