8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jkunsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

I just got my 2012 LX in July of this year and alread have almost 6K on it. I drive 98 miles one way to work and if I try to keep the eco bars green and stay under 65mph I can get between 39-41 mpg to a tank. This is all back country roads that are hilly and some brief stop and go in a town that I pass through. I noticed that on the highway running at 70-80 mph you can only get about 35-37mph on a recent 300 mile road trip. I haven't tried and of the hyper-miler tricks yet and the car is completely stock.And oh by the way if you turn off the ECO button you can almost guarentee 3-5 mgp loss becuase of the tranny responsiveness and the way the cruise control reacts.
Old 08-10-2012
New Civic Owner

jsquaredmn is an unknown quantity at this point

ive been driving now since april 85 miles in one direction to work...the only time i get 39 mpg is when wind is blowing against me, or the AC is cranked...other than that, i have seen 47.8 mpg on some trips...im averaging 42-44 mpg consistantly...every tank of gas seems to get me around 440-485 miles
Old 08-12-2012
Registered!!

kwai chang is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I have owned our '12 for almost a year. We bought it last September. We live on a mountain in TN, with a good 4 lane road up and down. My wife commutes about 40 miles one way, to and from work in the car. She dirves the mountian, then on the highway, then city. The average MPG on the computer stays at 34 MPG. Sometimes I think it's stuck there.
Old 08-12-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pretty good for mountain driving. after 20k, mileage should improve when engine is fully broken in.
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

lefty976 is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles before the maintenance light comes on for u guys?
Old 08-27-2012
Registered!!

auyantepuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to all of you, I am new here but I have lots of questions as I just got my 2012 civic LX last weekend and I was very surprised when the first tank of gas gave me only 280miles total .

I have about 300 miles on the car, is this normal???

Thanks
Old 09-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwai chang
My wife and I have owned our '12 for almost a year. We bought it last September. We live on a mountain in TN, with a good 4 lane road up and down. My wife commutes about 40 miles one way, to and from work in the car. She dirves the mountian, then on the highway, then city. The average MPG on the computer stays at 34 MPG. Sometimes I think it's stuck there.

You can change this in the MID menu area. Make the trip mileage "A" reset with refuel. This should start the gas mileage counter over at zero after each fill up. (I think.)

Originally Posted by lefty976
How many miles before the maintenance light comes on for u guys?

4000-12,000+ miles, depending on how you drive it.

Originally Posted by auyantepuy
Hello to all of you, I am new here but I have lots of questions as I just got my 2012 civic LX last weekend and I was very surprised when the first tank of gas gave me only 280miles total .

Thanks
Depends on how you drive, and how full the tank was when you started (the dealer SHOULD have filled it before you took delivery of the car). And depends on how full you got it at the current fill up.

Averaging your consumption and fuel mileage over a long period of time and miles eliminates some of the variables that can appear to give drastic swings.

Driving habits can slowly change as you get used to the "Nanny Meter", if you left it turned on. Mileage should go up as your driving habits adjust. I know mine has.

And keep the teenagers away from it. Aggressive driving will kill your mileage in a hurry.

My 12 is up to 34MPG, in town.
Old 09-04-2012
Registered!!

Thank you for taking the time to answer me back, the dealer gave it to me with a full tank as I was there when it was filled that was 280 total, now my second tank just gave me this Saturday 297 so it when up, and I am doing my best to keep those bars on green on the time but I am still far from the 28/39 that says on the sticker .

Now I am about 600miles on it and I love how it drives I traded my 2007 jeep Patriot for it and I feel low to the ground but it is very much fun to drive
Old 09-04-2012
Registered!!

How many miles do you have?
Old 09-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
pretty good for mountain driving. after 20k, mileage should improve when engine is fully broken in.

How many miles do you have?
Old 09-04-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

right now around 104k. but mileage peaked around 25k for me and stayed the same since then. so many factors can affect mileage that "results may vary" is a common phrase used. the environment has a huge effect. hot outside temps will give better mileage than cold temps. i have seen a 10 mpg reduction driving the same stretch of highway in summer vs winter. sea level will use more gas than high altitude, given the same road topography. hill and mountain driving will drastically reduce mileage. the more you press the gas, the lower your mileage. coasting above 25mph in gear with foot off gas will cut off the injectors and you will use no fuel at all to move. there are certain tricks and driving techniques that can increase mpg. so again, it depends most on the environment and the driver, and less on the car. altho proper maintenance can never hurt. my car got 34city/42highway in summer when i was at sea level. up in the mountains, i rarely get better than 22city. just too many variables. in winter, mileage drops the most due to the colder temps (car takes longer to warm up, harder for the engine to stay at proper temp, more oxygen means more fuel used, tires are not hot enough, etc).
Old 09-06-2012
Registered!!

Hondacat17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auyantepuy

Thanks
I had a 07 Civic and it got 40 MPG easy, I now have a 2012 and cant get over 34MPG and drive the same path as I did with my 07. I am not happy! I did allot of reading and they say DO NOT COMPARE this Civic to the 07. So it is sad this has a Econ button and blah...blah.... and my 07 was super MPG and this is a starving dog in my book. I did get 35 to 36 MPG on the stock junk tires, but living in Iowa I got some very nice directional tires that are worth a ****, and that effects the MPG too. Fuel Max tires do as they should, but God forbid rain or worse snow.
Old 09-06-2012
Premium Member

that tends to happen with newer cars. i think gas mileage peaked in the 80s when most civics got 45-55mpg without even thinking. ever since its been going downhill. blame whatever you want for it (oil companies, heavier car, safety) but its true. today, 25mpg is the new norm and we are supposed to think thats good.
Old 09-07-2012
New Civic Owner

here's my most recent tank of gas...i think i filled up 12.8 L...i would say that is pretty impressive
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012civicMpg.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	83980  
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

B15Fred can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by jsquaredmn
here's my most recent tank of gas...i think i filled up 12.8 L...i would say that is pretty impressive
wow, impressive indeed.
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

That is impressive! What type of driving are you doing and what speeds are you driving at?

A range of 9-miles left to go?! You must have been on fumes! LOL
Old 09-08-2012
New Civic Owner

a couple times ive taken the range to 0 and still gone a few miles lol...no ac...eco mode on 24/7...i drive around 68-75 mph...i live 1 mile from the highways and work is 1 mile from the highway, so its pretty much all highway
Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

jkunsman is an unknown quantity at this point

a couple times ive taken the range to 0 and still gone a few miles lol...no ac...eco mode on 24/7...i drive around 68-75 mph...i live 1 mile from the highways and work is 1 mile from the highway, so its pretty much all highway

You must also be at a higher altitude or fairly flat travel?
Old 09-10-2012
New Civic Owner

im in minnesota...im assumiong its not that high of an altitude? and to be honest the road isnt the flattest...its pretty much up and down the entire time (not extreme), with stretches of flats
Old 09-10-2012
Premium Member

or maybe going downhill? cruising in gear with foot off the pedal does not use any gas.
Old 09-11-2012
Registered!!

Smile Re: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

Originally Posted by gearbox
right now around 104k. but mileage peaked around 25k for me and stayed the same since then. so many factors can affect mileage that "results may vary" is a common phrase used. the environment has a huge effect. hot outside temps will give better mileage than cold temps. i have seen a 10 mpg reduction driving the same stretch of highway in summer vs winter. sea level will use more gas than high altitude, given the same road topography. hill and mountain driving will drastically reduce mileage. the more you press the gas, the lower your mileage. coasting above 25mph in gear with foot off gas will cut off the injectors and you will use no fuel at all to move. there are certain tricks and driving techniques that can increase mpg. so again, it depends most on the environment and the driver, and less on the car. altho proper maintenance can never hurt. my car got 34city/42highway in summer when i was at sea level. up in the mountains, i rarely get better than 22city. just too many variables. in winter, mileage drops the most due to the colder temps (car takes longer to warm up, harder for the engine to stay at proper temp, more oxygen means more fuel used, tires are not hot enough, etc).

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me back, this response was very helpful and maybe now I can be at ease as I got this car thinking I was going to save gas.

I am in Miami FL
Old 09-11-2012
Registered!!

Unhappy Re: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG

Originally Posted by Hondacat17
I had a 07 Civic and it got 40 MPG easy, I now have a 2012 and cant get over 34MPG and drive the same path as I did with my 07. I am not happy! I did allot of reading and they say DO NOT COMPARE this Civic to the 07. So it is sad this has a Econ button and blah...blah.... and my 07 was super MPG and this is a starving dog in my book. I did get 35 to 36 MPG on the stock junk tires, but living in Iowa I got some very nice directional tires that are worth a ****, and that effects the MPG too. Fuel Max tires do as they should, but God forbid rain or worse snow.

Ok after reading this Now I am sad and worry at the same time
Old 11-06-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This may or may not be relevant to anyones interests:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...445,full.story
Old 11-06-2012
Premium Member

the bottom line is, give the same exact car to 10 different drivers and you will get 10 noticably different mpg numbers. the average person has no idea how to drive efficiently, mostly because they have no idea how a car operates other than pressing pedals.
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

DodgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

So at first when I got my used 2012 it had 6500 miles and an average of around 28mpg. That's pretty much what I got until I got a speeding ticket. I've now been driving on the highway with cruise control and bumped up to around 31.5mpg. My commute to work is about half city half highway, I started the cruise control halfway so I'm only expecting the mpg to go up. I filled up my tank at a little less than half full so I'm gonna estimate I get around 360 miles per tank. I'll update more later.
Old 11-14-2012

You can set your IMID to reset one of the trip meters with each refuel, this resets gas mileage counter and trip meter, and miles to empty starts over.
Automatically.
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You can set your IMID to reset one of the trip meters with each refuel, this resets gas mileage counter and trip meter, and miles to empty starts over.
Automatically.
That's exactly what I did
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DodgeCivic
That's exactly what I did
wait, I didn't notice the "reset with each refuel automatically" part how do I do that??? I was doing it manually!
Old 11-14-2012

It is in the owners manual.

Play with the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel and you should eventually find it in the mess of menu items.

Bottom menu button? Find: Vehicle settings, odometer, trip A reset with refuel, something along those lines.

See what all you can adjust and set to your liking in the menus.
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

mcamphr is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2001 Civic HX and regularly get 44-46mpg per tankful - i drive about 80% hwy usually at 60 or so mph. If Im driving 70-75 then I get about 38npg.

My Personal Best has been 54.3 mpg at 60 mph on a 500 mile trip. I recently installed a K and N air filter and my daily commute went from 46 to 49 mpg. I have stock wheels with full disc hubcaps (looks like pizza pans) and used partial synthetics oils. Also did the lawn edging air dam on front. I think with the new air filter my mpg on my next long trip should top 55mpg at 60 mph.

Quick Reply: Actual 2012 Gasoline Civic MPG