8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

TPMS busted

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mantaray14 is an unknown quantity at this point
TPMS busted

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Civic EX series. I overinflated the tires close to 40 psi and drove around that way for weeks. The tpms light came on so I checked the tires and deflated them to whatever was on the door 34 or so. This was a few months ago and the tpms light is still on. It never really went off since.

Is it true I can reset this by deflating the tires? I'm sick of looking at the light!

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TPMS busted

No. You can't do a darn thing with it.

Is the car still in warranty? Go to the dealer. Duh.

Is the car out of warranty?
You are still going to the dealer.
Most independent shops won't have an HDS scanner (or an equivalent) to access the system unless the shop specializes in Honda and is extremely well equipped. Call and ask before bothering to waste your time. They are out there, but few and far between.

40 PSI will not turn on any light.

The butt icon (_!_) comes on with low tire at about 27 PSI and lower. It will also come on at 51.9 PSI and higher.

The "TPMS" light on means the system has a problem, usually a dead sensor. There should be a code set in the TPMS computer.

The TPMS light will also come on if a tire is missing, like you had a flat and put the spare tire on. System needs reset if that happened. I'm not positive that will happen on its own though. May need the scantool to do the reset.

Did you have any tires replaced? It has been common for rookies everywhere to break sensors when dismounting and mounting tires.

I have seen tire replacers break a sensor, then replace it, and not be able to program it to the car. TPMS light is on because the car doesn't recognize the new sensor.

Good luck getting someone to admit fault after "This was a few months ago".

Did you use Fix-A-Flat in a tire? Green Slime? That stuff ruins the sensors in a hurry. You own it.
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, I have an 04 no tpms, but would disconnecting the battery help? Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

As mentioned i would take it to the dealer..get it looked at.
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
As mentioned i would take it to the dealer..get it looked at.
Any dealer around here is going to charge me at least $150 or more to reset this stupid sensor. My car is over a year old and out of warranty. I did get a flat once, don't know if that caused it, but there must be a way to reset the sensor without spending that kind of money?
Old 01-03-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mantaray14
Any dealer around here is going to charge me at least $150 or more to reset this stupid sensor. My car is over a year old and out of warranty. I did get a flat once, don't know if that caused it, but there must be a way to reset the sensor without spending that kind of money?
Warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles.
Sensors are covered unless someone else broke it and it can be proven....play dumb.
We warranty most of them anyway for good customers.
You are stuck with a dealer anyway unless you can find a shop with an HDS scanner.
WTF makes you think it will be $150 just to check it?
Get on the phone and ask.
We sure don't get that amount. It's free to the customer if warranty covers it.

If the TPMS light was on because you had a flat tire, it should have reset itself. (p 272 in your owners manual.)

If a sensor is bad, they should prove someone else caused it before they can make you pay. Bad sensors are somewhat common.
Old 01-03-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Where is around here?
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
Where is around here?
I'm in NY. You really don't want to be dealing with any dealers or mechanics in general unless you are ready to drop a few hundred for the smallest of problems. I really can't see spending tha much for something as menial as a tire inflation sensor. I could probably purchase and replace all four sensors for what they would ask.

I thought they told me the warranty was only 12 monthsfrom date of purchase. I'll have to take out my bill of sale and look at the fine print. I'm pretty sure that was deal though.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-03-2012

Originally Posted by Mantaray14
I'm in NY. You really don't want to be dealing with any dealers or mechanics in general unless you are ready to drop a few hundred for the smallest of problems. I really can't see spending tha much for something as menial as a tire inflation sensor.

I thought they told me the warranty was only 12 monthsfrom date of purchase. I'll have to take out my bill of sale and look at the fine print. I'm pretty sure that was deal though.

Thanks,

Rick
Read your books, not the bill of sale.
MANUFACTURERS' WARRANTY, not the dealers warranty.
Only a few things are 12/12 warranty. Wear items are 12/12 (brake wear, wiper inserts, etc.).
TPMS is covered under the 3/36, the bumper to bumper warranty.
Powertrain is 5/60.
It's all warranty unless there was abuse.

I could probably purchase and replace all four sensors for what they would ask.
No, you can't.
The sensor I.D. #'s still have to be "learned" to the car, dealer level scantool is required to do that before they will work.