8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

RPM's lower for a sec at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
RPM's lower for a sec at high speed?

This is just a curiosity question,I actually didn't feel any loss in power when it happened...
But I was driving fast in my stock '06 lx sedan,right as I hit 94-95 the engine rpms lower just a little,is there a reason for this?It's happened every time I go this fast..but I never feel a loss in power.

You can hear it between 1:30 and 1:40 in my video(again,right when i hit 94-95 mph):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vke2LdlrvU
Old 12-26-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RPM's lower for a sec at high speed?

I never tried to make one go that fast at wide open throttle, and If I had to guess, it is trying to apply the TCC just before redline, and a drive with a good scanner might reveal exactly what is going on there....I notice you lifted off the gas immediately after that.
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
I never tried to make one go that fast at wide open throttle, and If I had to guess, it is trying to apply the TCC just before redline, and a drive with a good scanner might reveal exactly what is going on there....I notice you lifted off the gas immediately after that.
Yeah,I was just going for 100,if you watch longer into the video I hit 108 twice,and it does it both times too(but it's harder to hear because I have music playing)

Another Q/comment though...How the hell do I hit another gear at 104?How fast can this little car go lol.
Old 12-27-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Its the rev limiter..when you hit a certain RPM it drops down 200 or so rpm and recovers..its to help provent you from blowing it...I don't have the exact numbers atm but that is what it is..
Old 12-27-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The kid said it doesn't lose power when the RPM drops the couple hundred, so I really don't think it was the rev limiter. Rev limiter shuts down injectors.
I don't think he hit the rev limiter since it still had one more gear to go.....at redline it would have shifted to the next gear, not bounce off the limiter....which it does do in the next segment at around 103mph or so.

I'm sure the car has a speed limiter built into the PCM too. If 108 is all it will do, then it's a good bet that's what the limit is.
If we had one in the shop I could check what that is real quick, but there isn't one in here at this moment.
I'm not about to go try to actually drive one that fast, that's against the law.

Kid, it's easy to count the gears.

/Kid is a menace to society for going that fast on public roads.
//I was too when I was younger.
Old 12-27-2011

Just checked an 06 in the air, run to an indicated 136mph with no shutdown.
I'm not gonna push it, I don't want to buy any tires or knock the car off the hoist from vibrating.
Old 12-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

performance on a LX... on public roads... 100 and not even in a highway...
/thread, does not deserve an honest reply.
Old 12-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Driving 100mph on a public road is dangerously close to street racing, the only difference being the lack of another car and driver.

Hopefully you've gotten the answers you need.