8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

new to civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crasyasian is an unknown quantity at this point
new to civic

*Flame suit on*

I am new to civic world, well hybrid world at that.

I own STi for years, but my son is 4 hours away one way, and gas is a killer.

So I went with a 2009 civic hybrid. I know I will get flame for this, but who care

so that out of the way, here are some question:

1. Will lowering the car change it MPG?

2. STi have lip to change the aero, to help, will it do the same for the civic?

3. Will changing wheel effect the MPG?

4. I was a suspension guy in STi world, would braces help or hurt MPG?

Any help would be kindly greatful, if you don't have anything nice to say,
please reframe from say anything at all.

Thank, T.
Old 07-29-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: new to civic

1. Why? maybe will change some of the underside flow of air, but don't know specifics.
2. Not really sure. Some of the miata guys cut out the lower side of the rear bumper so it does not dam the air in there.
3) Depend. Heavier wheels will have more mass, so they will tend to keep moving - lower MPH in city since you need to stop-and-go, while the highway gets better if you drive at constant speed. Same comments for the tire outer diameter - the larger the tire, the harder to accelerate and stop. They will prefer highway. Lathough i got around 42 MPG with 16" and slightly oversized tires but the 15" stock tires got up to 44 MPG in long drives, even if engine is running higher revs - weight is key, i guess.
4. Braces are not likely to help?

hondas will cut the gas if in a hill and throttle is off. use that wisely and don't mash the gas. Most MPG depends on driving. Also keep in mind that different than a STi, vics are momentum cars. The least you change the speed, the best.
Old 07-29-2011
Registered!!

Well I want to get brace be cause of the handling,
Thank, for your input.

T
Old 07-29-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

we gain more from sway bar selection than bracing. Although the 8th gen have more neutral handling than the 7th gen, from what i hear.

For example, the best for FWD is to hold the front strut towers, but if you look at it, where are the front strut towers? Under the windshield frame - enough metal in between them. they braced enough in my opinion. similar to the rear ones.

get to know more of the car before going crazy on the mods -some of them will not really improve much fer the cash spent.
keep in mind the comment that they are momentum cars, not a high powered ones.
Old 07-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

1. I get better mileage than rated and my car is lowered, it stands to reason that it would improve aerodynamics slightly.

2. Yes, most civics have an air damn under the front bumper to improve aerodynamics, I think the 8th gen hybrid does.

3. Lighter, smaller wheel will improve mpg.

4. Hurt, because your adding unnecessary weight. If you want to improve the handling and continue to have a car that's somewhat fun to drive consider spending a bit on a rear sway bar.
Old 07-29-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lowering improves mpg because car is closer to the ground and less turbulence. same idea with adding lip kit, it will lower the car a bit from stock. wheels if they are lighter than stock and the same size or smaller will help mpg. but also bear in mind the aerodynamics. the honda rims im not sure how much they weigh, but they are very good at channeling air to the sides due to the closed design. open rims will reduce mpg. suspension mods dont really matter but the added weight will reduce mpg (prolly not enough to notice). tires will also affect mileage. the best are the lighter ones with low rolling resistance. but you sacrifice some ride comfort and handling. if you drive mostly freeway, then you want to build the car more for aero.
Old 07-29-2011
Registered!!

Thank for your input
It really helping me.