8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 LX Driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gary742 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 LX Driver seat

Just trying to see if anyone else is experiencing discomfort with the bucket "wings" in the hip area (driver side only). I am and it is driving me nuts. I am still experimenting with some sort of remediation. I have tried after market seat cushions, all NG. I am next going to try some sort of high density foam cushion to put on the seat btw the wings so I don't sit do deep. I am not a big person (185 lb male) but the firmness of the wings is chaffing. Just looking to see if ANY one else is having the same or similar issue. Also, if anyone has any suggestions.

tia.
Old 10-09-2011
Registered!!

steved7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2012 LX Driver seat

I've had a 2012 Honda Civic LX for about a month now. The driver's seat is very uncomfortable. I'm 6'1", 200#, and my hips are only 15 1/2" wide ( I measured to check against the seat) and the wings on the seat hit right on my hip bone joints making for a very uncomfortable ride. I've tried different seat cushions but none are really satisfactory. The seat feels especially tilted to the right and puts way too much pressure on my hips. To get near comfortable I have to scoot way forward in the seat and by then I'm too far forward to manage the car well. I just bought a gel driver's seat cushion from Wal-mart and it's OK but the seat is still too uncomfortable even for a 10-15 minute ride. It's nearly a deal breaker; I've driven Hondas for 20 years and would hate to take this one back but I'm definitely entertaining the idea unless I can find a solution. Are you having any luck in getting more comfortable?
Old 10-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i sat in one a month ago at the dealer and couldnt believe how crazy they were. There is no way i could sit for more than a minute without feeling like getting out. the side bolsters are way too stiff. like they were trying to be a racing seat but failed. im only a 150 lb guy average build.
Old 10-09-2011
Registered!!

Dude, no luck. My wife has graciously agreed to "trade" cars with me until next year when I am definitely trading in the car. Besides the seat, which I can not get comfortable in, the car's steering seems very sensitive so that I am constantly making annoying adjustments while driving down any straight as an arrow road. So now the car is being babied to keep mileage down in preparation to sell the car next year. I am VERY disappointed in the 2012 Civic and I have owned Civics for 12 years. I am probably done with Civics after this experience.
Old 10-10-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have heard that about 06+ civics from other members too about the steering being too sensitive. i remember test driving an 06 when it first came out and i had a whole list of problems like the gas pedal, seats, visibility, DBW throttle, mushy auto trans, dash layout, and a whole list of other things. the car was a joke to drive and i couldnt wait to get back to the dealer lot and get in my 02. they are completely different cars, not even a civic anymore.
Old 10-10-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Get some new material for christ sake.

How much longer you plan on nursing that 02 POS ??

OP gonna loose your shirt trading in a brand new_car because of a seat !! ??

Good luck with that transaction.

Honda somehow managed to sell over 260k of those unacceptable 8th gens... in its 5th year of production no less.

They would currently be selling more 9th gens, if they could GET them.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...12_honda_civic

Last edited by CraigW; 10-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

tampaphotog is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2012 Civic LX on 1/31/12 and within days I developed a backache on my right side. I thought I had slept wrong or twisted the wrong way. I took a four hour ride in my new Civic for the first time last night and was in pain almost the entire trip from the seat wings...mainly the right side digging into my right side where I have pain. I have been on ibuprofen all week trying to dull the pain. I went to the dealership I purchased car from and explained what was going on. I was told I am the first and only person who has mentioned this issue. The sales manager was sympathetic and brought me to the service manager who said Honda has improved the seats with these seat bolsters on the side. He said since it was new it would eventually "break-in". I don't know if I can last that long. A nearby worker overheard my conversation and said to purchase a back cushion to project my body away from the bolters. In reading the other forum posts I understand they don't help. I asked service manager if seat can be changed and he gave various reasons they can't and warranty would be void. My next contact will be to American Honda. I am 5'10", 190 pounds and this is not acceptable. I have driven Hondas since 1990. I had a 1990 Civic, 2002 Accord, and now this 2012 Civic and this is the most uncomfortable seat I have ever experienced in any vehicle I have driven. I am 52 years old and expected to keep this car for a long time. Another issue is the road noise. I drove 75 mph and on certain surfaces the road noise is defening. I did my test drive on at 60 mph highway and it was fine but once you get to higher speeds the noise really increases...especially on older pavements.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tampaphotog
.............Another issue is the road noise. I drove 75 mph and on certain surfaces the road noise is defening. I did my test drive on at 60 mph highway and it was fine but once you get to higher speeds the noise really increases...especially on older pavements.
I've had my 2012 EX for only 2-weeks. I have not had any trouble with the seats. The EX and LX share the same seats. The road noise is my current pet peeve. Could it be that the tires are too loud or could there be a lack of sound insulation?
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

A partial solution to the driver seat issue--I tried several seat cushions to raise me up in the seat to minimize the pain from the seat wings. The only one I found to work (and by work I mean make it so I can actually sit in the car for more than 10 minutes) is this Brookstone seat cushion (http://www.brookstone.com/COMFORT-FOAM-CUSHION-BLACK_10968321_2?bkiid=SearchResults|CategoryProdu ctList|698407p). It does raise you up an inch or so, but it does work. I recently had a 3.5 hour road trip and was comfortable.
Old 02-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I had back problems long before I got my 12, the seat is no less comfortable than most other cars to me. A 4 hour trip really hurt though.

The thought of adapting a pair of 8th gen seats in has crossed my mind, but that would take a LOT of tech to make the swap work. SRS system differences and all.

I want a taller lid on the console box too. So I can get my lean on.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

not really related to the topic but I am really glad that my 09 SI is almost trouble free....hopefully updates to the 9th gen civic can do wonders..
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devani
not really related to the topic but I am really glad that my 09 SI is almost trouble free....hopefully updates to the 9th gen civic can do wonders..
Lets face it, they have been building a damn good car for years and years. That's why I bought one!

Nothing Honda builds is marginal!
Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

jkunsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 2012 LX Driver seat

I just bought a 2012 LX as a commuter car because I drive 98 miles one way to work. With my current experience with this seat this will definately be my last Honda!! I have to many mile on it already to take it back but I am very unhappy with the seat bolsters digging into my rib cage! As soon as sombody makes an aftermarket seat that doesn't have side bolsters or uncomfortable racing seats I will be installing! If anyone hears of such a product please let me know.
Old 08-09-2012
Premium Member

this is expensive but worth it.

http://tushcush.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...t_Code=carCush

i dont drive longer than 30 mins without it. it will raise you up enough to clear the lower side bolsters and soft enough to keep you comfortable. not sure it will help the ribcage problem of the upper bolsters, but you could look around for aftermarket stock style seats without the aggressive feel of racing seats.

http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/sportseat/