8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2008 Civic lighting..clueless

Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
courtneyRN is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Civic lighting..clueless

I am completely clueless when it comes to this lighting stuff. I'm sure there are 8 million posts on this but I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Anyway, I have an 08 Civic and I want to replace the stock bulbs. I have a warranty on my car so I'm not looking to install anything extra. All I want to do is replace the bulbs so I can have nice bright lights. I like the blue tint but I've read they don't last as long. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: 2008 Civic lighting..clueless

Just search around on the forum. Millions of answers.

Basically, you'll see things like 3000k (which is yellow-ish) and 5000k (more blueish, but still whiteish) and 9000k or 1100k which is purple. These are just color temps, there is a scale you can look at, just google "color temp kelvin" and you'll find it, plus a bunch of threads on this site.

Phillips are good bulbs.

You want as close to true white as you can get, as bluish actually is a film on the bulb and cuts down on the output of light.

HID's are also big, which means HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE. Its the SUPER BRIGHT headlights you see all the luxury cars sporting and blinding you with when aimed poorly.

Welcome to the site man!
Old 06-25-2011
Registered!!

courtneyRN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ

HID's are also big, which means HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE. Its the SUPER BRIGHT headlights you see all the luxury cars sporting and blinding you with when aimed poorly.
Thank you!! I searched the site but really didn't know what all of the terminology meant. For the HID's, do you need to install anything extra or use different wiring, etc?!
Old 06-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

It depends. I'm not an HID expert, be 4warned...

HID's arent just bulbs, so you cant just take your H4's (halogen) and drop in DS2's (hid bulbs). You need the whole setup for HID's and I believe they draw more voltage or whatever so you need a beefier wireharness or it may heat up and melt.

HIDplanet.com

There are two ways to do HID's. One is buy the cheap HID kits and just put them in our stock headlight housing (this is WRONG) and you'll have TONS of glare and blind uncoming traffic...

OR you can do a retrofit, which you'll install a projector in your headlight housing that will focus the beam and make everything awesome. It does get pricy, but you cant beat the output. Lots of people use the S2000 (s2k) or Acura TSX projectors. Read posts from gearbox on retrofits.

The cutoff shield on the HID's is what gives that "blue" look to headlights that everyone wants.. cheaper people go and buy the tinted bulbs. dont be cheap.
Old 06-25-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Are plug and play HID kits really that bad ? I have a set on my car ... I don't have any glare, nor am I blinding oncoming traffic .. o_O
Old 06-26-2011
Registered!!

DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough

Just go HID man, and google the bulbs for your car like 2011 Honda Civic LX HID Bulbs.... and just like said before avoid the cheep stuff. Try and get the newer digital ballast. The site you decide to go with should (if legit) have a template showing you the differences in the Kelvin value. Avoid the sites that say HID's 50 bucks!! Remember its a get what you pay for world. In my opinion 130 bucks plus puts you in the range for decent bulbs. They should have a wiring harness available for the kit.... GET THE HARNESS!!!

If you just want bulbs.... I'm 100% behind the PIAA Xtreme Whites. I believe there still 60-70 bucks.